Is it important to keep the Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it is. In God's final warning messages to the world we find a call to worship the Creator.
Revelation 14:6-7
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The call to worship in Revelation 14:7 brings us back to the Sabbath Commandment which God set aside specifically for holy purposes:
Exodus 20:8-11
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Throughout the scriptures we can see an emphasis on the recognition of the Creator.
Revelation 4:11
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Nehemiah 9:6
Thou, even thou, art Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Psalm 33:6
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Psalm 96:4-5
4 For the Lord is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the Lord made the heavens.

Psalm 121:1-2
1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Isaiah 45:18
For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.

Acts 4:24
And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

By keeping the Sabbath holy, as He commanded us, we show our love for Him and give recognition of His authority in our life.
1 John 5:1-3
1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Now some people say it doesn't matter what day we worship and God doesn't care, but He does.
Isaiah 58:14
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: 14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

And Christ Himself set for us the example...
Luke 4:16
And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is important to have a sabbath - a time of rest from labours - but it can be any day we choose. In this day and age not everybody gets to have Sunday off work and for those who do it may be the only day of the week they can shop or do chores.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it is. In God's final warning messages to the world we find a call to worship the Creator.
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The call to worship in Revelation 14:7 brings us back to the Sabbath Commandment which God set aside specifically for holy purposes:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Throughout the scriptures we can see an emphasis on the recognition of the Creator.
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Thou, even thou, art Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

4 For the Lord is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.

For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.

And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

By keeping the Sabbath holy, as He commanded us, we show our love for Him and give recognition of His authority in our life.
1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Now some people say it doesn't matter what day we worship and God doesn't care, but He does.
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: 14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

NOT by the letter of the Law like those who keep Saturday or Sunday. But by the Spirit which is every moment of every day ABIDING IN JESUS. Hebrews 4 calls that concept, "TODAY." " 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,”

Matthew 11:
“I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. 26 Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. 27 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pearl and L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 14:5-12

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another estemmeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12 So then EVERY ONE OF US shall give account of HIMSELF to God.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Mosaic Law has been fulfilled in Jesus Christ at the Cross. Jesus was the Sabbath that gave us rest with His salvation. No longer to do the "works" of the law" but to live under grace.

Reactions: Pearl and L.A.M.B.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes Hobbie, We agree, It is important to hear and do what The Lord is saying here.

Love, Walter And Debbie

• Love
Reactions: Brakelite

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
NOT by the letter of the Law like those who keep Saturday or Sunday. But by the Spirit which is every moment of every day ABIDING IN JESUS. Hebrews 4 calls that concept, "TODAY." " 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,”
If ever self-contradictory there was a <concept> that is designated, a certain day, it is this, <NOT by the letter of the Law like those who keep Saturday or Sunday, but by the Spirit which is every moment of every day Hebrews 4 calls that concept, "TODAY.">

Congratulations, you won first prize for logic and common sense, or you're free to put it on your ignore list.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Mosaic Law has been fulfilled in Jesus Christ at the Cross. Jesus was the Sabbath that gave us rest with His salvation. No longer to do the "works" of the law" but to live under grace.
No! Divine Law, prophetic Law, was <fulfilled in Jesus Christ at the Cross.> And not only <at the Cross>, but in Jesus Christ in and through and at the time of HIS RESURRECTION FROM THE DEAD IN HIS GRAVE: "ON THE SABBATH DAY", "according to the Scriptures" of this Divine Law, prophetic Law, THE LAW OF GOD, GOD THE SON, "WRITTEN OF in the law and prophets, HOW THE CHRIST HAD TO SUFFER AND BE CRUCIFIED AND THE THIRD DAY RISE".
Let us just set the record straight here, please.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously keeping the sabbath is more important to some than others. I've been thinking about it and realised that when that command was given to Moses, the Israelites really needed a full day of rest after walking through unknown lands for six days. They must have been exhausted.

Today though, in Christ, every day is holy; every day is a day we find our rest in Jesus. Everyday we can know that peace that transcends understanding. If we are employed we usually get time off, either at the weekend or midweek.

Our lives are so different from those of the Israelites traveling with Moses for 40 years, The way we spend our rest periods is also different from person to person; some like to play or watch sport, some will enjoy country walks with a pub at the end, and yet others will choose to spend time at home gardening or reading or even doing some DIY.

We all need to take it easy now and then for the sake of our health. Sundays for me were never a time of rest; bustling around in the morning to get us all out to church meetings on time, never knowing what time we would get back, and then when we did a meal to prepare and clear away.

I am retired now and take many small times of rest throughout the day; sometimes with a cuppa and a book and at others just sitting quietly or reading my bible. The bible doesn't actually tell us on which man-named day the Israelites took as their sabbath.

God made the world and rested on the seventh day; but what was the name of that day? The calendar we use today is the Gregorian calendar with months and days of the week named for heavenly bodies - Sun, Moon, Saturn etc and other gods.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 11:
“I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. 26 Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. 27 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Unfortunately,you and others are judging those who keep the Sabbath. Which Jesus said,do not do. I'd think that especially applicable being Jesus observed Sabbath as he intended it to be honored. As did his Disciples after him.

Jesus never abolished the gift he gave us .

And I challenge any anti-Sabbath member here to post the passage that says God will send to Hell any Christian who respects the gift God gave us.

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately,you and others are judging those who keep the Sabbath. Which Jesus said,do not do. I'd think that especially applicable being Jesus observed Sabbath as he intended it to be honored. As did his Disciples after him.

Jesus never abolished the gift he gave us .

And I challenge any anti-Sabbath member here to post the passage that says God will send to Hell any Christian who respects the gift God gave us.
Did you not read that I included Sunday worship, not just Saturday? I do not judge people who believe in the letter of the law, as long as they honor the Spirit of the law more - abiding in Jesus. In fact, I attend with them at a SDA church, and again the following day at a Calvary Chapel, but a Calvary Chapel that does not include the letter "T" from Calvinism. Those letters I do judge as Jesus did also, Rev. 3:1.

Now what are you going to do about falsely judging me?

Last edited:

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you not read that I included Sunday worship, not just Saturday?

This will cause you to be dis fellow shipped by the Saturday peoples.... as in the left foot of fellowship out the door! coffee-smiley.gif

The Saturday people teach that going to church on Sunday is taking the mark of the beast laughing.gif