Is it ok for a Christian to kill people?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ahigherway

Jun 17, 2010
Hi everyone,
I found an interesting song in youtube today through a site called Christians for peace. http://www.christiansforpeace.org/theo/bomb.html

Here's the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0KzmoXvyek

Any thoughts?
Can Christians kill other people?

Blessings to all,
brian

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
What do you mean 'can christians kill other people??' Explain your question please because im confused.. (maybe because I didnt listen to the song :/)

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Hi everyone,
I found an interesting song in youtube today through a site called Christians for peace. http://www.christian.../theo/bomb.html

Here's the song:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=T0KzmoXvyek

Any thoughts?

Blessings to all,
brian

I don’t have any problem understanding your question. No! A Christian is not to harm anyone for any reason. Jesus personally told me that, and scripture tells us that also.

(Matthew 5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance.”

(Matthew 5:43-44) “You have learnt how it was said, you must love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

The downfall of the Church happened when Constantine the Great coned the Church into allowing Christians to become part of his army. Christians were pacifist before Constantine the Great.

australia

Nov 25, 2010

There's a couple of people I'd like to kill but, thank God, there's a better way;

Rom 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

ahigherway

Jun 17, 2010
I like what I'm reading so far, folks! :)

There are many Christians who support killing, whether for war, death penalty or other.. it's quite baffling. But I'm seeing that this forum is a bit different. Great news!

I wholeheartedly agree that killing is wrong, and that Jesus taught the Way of Love, not violence. May we spread this important message to fellow believers who still trust in swords and spears!

Blessings to all!
brian

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
"A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up." - Ecc 3:3

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
"A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up." - Ecc 3:3

That is an answer one would expect to hear from a Jew. Jews do not accept that Jesus came to complete the Old Law. Jesus told us, those who are his disciples that it is no longer acceptable to kill.

(Matthew 5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance.”

(Matthew 5:43-44) “You have learnt how it was said, you must love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

KingdomCome

Sep 13, 2010

My Christ Jesus would not bomb...I am a member of His body, therefore I would/will never kill the flesh of another.

Yes, there is a time to kill — but how — by what method? I am dead in Christ. Christ Jesus killed me by giving me life. Moreover, He will do the same for all who will believe.

Joh 11:25
25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

1Cor 15:
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

This is my third post — thank you for allowing me to say the things I believe...

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
"Jesus told us, those who are his disciples that it is no longer acceptable to kill. " - Thankful1

-- Really? Where? Because your scripture quote is about seeking revenge for something done to you.

While it is true that Jesus likely doesn't want you to kill someone out of vengeance, that doesn't mean He said it was no longer acceptable to kill under any circumstance.

Same for the verse talking about praying for those who persecute you.

Someone breaks into your home and is chasing your wife or daughter with an ax. Are you really going to just going to pick up a phone and dial 911 or sit down and say "I forgive him" instead of trying to stop him?

Am looking forward to a verse that actually supports your position.

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
If there is a robbery or a situation where one of JAHs children is in danger I beleive with the Lords consent it is okay.

KingdomCome

Sep 13, 2010
"Jesus told us, those who are his disciples that it is no longer acceptable to kill. " - Thankful1

-- Really? Where? Because your scripture quote is about seeking revenge for something done to you.

While it is true that Jesus likely doesn't want you to kill someone out of vengeance, that doesn't mean He said it was no longer acceptable to kill under any circumstance.

Same for the verse talking about praying for those who persecute you.

Someone breaks into your home and is chasing your wife or daughter with an ax. Are you really going to just going to pick up a phone and dial 911 or sit down and say "I forgive him" instead of trying to stop him?

Am looking forward to a verse that actually supports your position.

Christ Jesus did not kill, nor did He retaliate, when they came to kill the Father that was in Him and put Him on the Cross. Christ Jesus has shown us the way....

Joh 14:
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Romans 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

James 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

Kill:
5407 foneuw phoneuo fon-yoo'-o

from 5406;; v

KJV - kill 10, do murder 1, slay 1; 12

1) to kill, slay, murder
2) to commit murder

I personally will respond, as did Christ Jesus when they came to kill Him — I will not render evil for evil.

I would beg that my family be spared by the intruder as Christ Jesus did: "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots."

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Christ Jesus did not kill, nor did He retaliate, when they came to kill the Father that was in Him and put Him on the Cross. Christ Jesus has shown us the way....

-- Jesus was also perfect...a goal we should strive for but will never achieve. Jesus never said that we should never kill under any circumstances. Simple fact.

Same question to you then KC: "Someone breaks into your home and is chasing your wife or daughter with an ax. Are you really going to just going to pick up a phone and dial 911 or sit down and say "I forgive him" instead of trying to stop him?"

KingdomCome

Sep 13, 2010
-- Jesus was also perfect...a goal we should strive for but will never achieve. Jesus never said that we should never kill under any circumstances. Simple fact.

Same question to you then KC: "Someone breaks into your home and is chasing your wife or daughter with an ax. Are you really going to just going to pick up a phone and dial 911 or sit down and say "I forgive him" instead of trying to stop him?"

I would try to stop him by telling him about God and the Son and the Spirit of Life, however, I would not attempt to kill him — my family are believers and they are now, as we speak, raised with Christ.

Col 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

No! — I will not attempt to kill the intruder...

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006

I would blow them away!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I appreciate your honesty. I would defend the lives of my wife and child, even to the point of that person's death. And yes, they too are Christians.

As the head of the household one of my responsibilities is to protect the members of my family from harm if it is within my power.

If that ax-wielding intruder's death was the only way to save them, that intruder dies.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I asked a very similar question once to a man on another message board. His answer was "yes." He added that he would sit by and watch his entire family be murdered rather than harm another man. Talk about a misuse of Scripture. :blink:

That's not really a valid illustration. Jesus came to die. That was his purpose and plan.