Is it OK to ask Almighty God Questions?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, it's good to ask God questions, and people too.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Definitely. God is limitless in his capacity to deal with our questions. He knows the hairs on our head after all. Matthew 10:30

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

yes, if you are born of the Holy Spirit surly it is as legitimate as a son asking his father anything about anything. nothing would shock Him, remember, He has made and designed all life and parts of life, and expects a relationship with His children. just show proper fear and honor within your heart and soul, and then you shall come to know.

Jas 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Aug 11, 2015
Faith
Country
Canada
I think it is a good thing as long as we have the right motive and objective.
That is not to change God's mind but to adjust our thinking.
I think if we have the right approach then we are also able to receive the reply.

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Many among God's loyal ones have asked him questions. In about the year 1919 B.C.E., when an ancient man named Abraham (at 99 years old) was told about the possible destruction of Sodom (where his nephew Lot was living) and Gomorrah by angels (Gen 18:20, 21), he asked questions concerning the city of Sodom and its surrounding area: "Will you really sweep away the righteous with the wicked ? Suppose there are 50 righteous men within the city. Will you, then, sweep them away and not pardon the place for the sake of the 50 righteous who are inside it ?.......Will the Judge of all the earth not do what is right ?"(Gen 18:23-25)

Abraham asked even further questions concerning Sodom and Gomorrah, dwindling the number of "righteous men" down to 10 and pushing God's patience, and in which the angel, who spoke for God, answered: "I will not destroy it for the sake of the ten".(Gen 18:32) Or the prophet Habakkuk of the 7th century B.C.E. who asked: "How long, O Jehovah, must I cry for help, but you do not hear ? How long must I ask for help from violence, but you do not intervene ? Why do you make me witness wrongdoing ? And why do you tolerate oppression ? Why are destruction and violence before me ? And why do quarreling and conflict abound ?"(Hab 1:2, 3)

Or David of the 11th century B.C.E. wrote concerning "the wicked one arrogantly pursues the helpless one": "Why, O Jehovah, do you stand at a distance ? Why do you hide yourself in times of distress ?"(Ps 10:1, 2) Or the prophet Jeremiah of the 7th century B.C.E. who said: "You are righteous, O Jehovah, when I make my complaint to you. When I speak about matters of justice with you. But why is the way of wicked ones successful, and why are the treacherous unworried ?"(Jer 12:1, 2)

Many have sought to ask God questions that had been "bugging" them for a long time, such as why people get deathly sick, as in the case of 7 year old Susan (who wrote her story in 2013 to the New York Times) regarding a friend named Al who was hospitalized with polio at the age of 9. After visiting him in the hospital, Susan asked her mother: "Why would God do that to a little boy ?" Her mother responded: "The priest would say God must have his reasons, but I don't know what they could be". Two years later, in 1954, when Jonas Salk's polio vaccine became available, Susan's mother suggested that perhaps God had guided his research.

But Susan then asked: "Well, God should guided the doctors a long time ago so that Al wouldn't be be in an iron lung". Susan summed up her childhood experience by writing: "[Al] was to die only eight years later, by which time I was a committed atheist".(source October 2015 Awake ! magazine entitled "3 Questions People Would Like to Ask God", pg 3, at JW dot org)

The article further said: "Like Susan, many people who have suffered from tragedy or have witnessed it are unable to find satisfying answers to their questions about God. Some become atheists. Others may not entirely deny God's existence, but they become skeptical". It then pursues three questions for God (1) "Why do you allow suffering ?" (2) "Why is religion full of hypocrisy ?" (3) "Why are we here ?"

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes God wants a personal realationship with you. Go to the secret place, close the door where no man can see you, and talk to your Holy Father. God wants nothing more than to have time alone with you. Someone said and men. You have need of no man. The Holy Ghost will lead you into all truth. You dont need men. I would recommend not asking men. Just look at the shambles on every forum arging fighting and dissagreeing. Stay away from mans wisdom.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
what this usually means is that i read some alt version, that doesn't search very well or something...the closest i have come so far is "don't ask why yesterday was better than today" from Proverbs, but that is not the passage i am remembering. I was kinda hoping someone would come to my rescue here lol

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
what this usually means is that i read some alt version, that doesn't search very well or something...the closest i have come so far is "don't ask why yesterday was better than today" from Proverbs, but that is not the passage i am remembering. I was kinda hoping someone would come to my rescue here lol
Do you refer to Romans 9:20?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
the point, as i remember it, was not that asking "Why?" is bad per se, but the frame of mind that usually accompanies the question, as in the way of an accuser who has no interest in learning from the answer, even if they do not realize it.

Iow it can be easy to find yourself in the position of satan talking to Eve, asking "why?" so as to formulate a more compelling argument, with your agenda in mind as the ultimate objective, rather than trying to understand.
Do you refer to Romans 9:20?
i guess so, but i remember it being more direct than that; may have just been a different version.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
"How" is a question seldom answered. It usually goes along with unbelief. "How" as in, how could you possibly do that?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"How" is a question seldom answered. It usually goes along with unbelief. "How" as in, how could you possibly do that?
i would argue that that is a question asked from the pov of "why?" also, in a sense. Meaning "challenging," perhaps, rather than seeking understanding. Seeking only a reply that might bolster whatever premise of yours is being questioned, so that you may continue in your premise, and not have to change your mind, iow.

Of course a child might ask the same question from a completely different perspective, see; that of actually wanting to know "how" you could possibly do that, in order to learn something. But generally speaking even the syntax of your question up there suggests a "calling into question," meaning "a challenge of the correctness of your position." (for "you," nonetheless; although we changed persons in there somewhere).

Iow i might ask how a person could possibly subsist on whale blubber and little else; nonetheless thousands of people do, every day, virtually never eating a fruit or veggie, etc. Are they somehow "wrong?"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
the point, hopefully, being that it is ok even to ask "why?" if you really want to know why, or how, but when you reveal that you were only asking like a lawyer, in order to affirm your own beliefs and discount another possibly valid position, your heart is also going to be revealed there, and it is even obvious--to others, if not to you--in your rejoinder, wherein you will obfuscate or be unable to acknowledge some premise in the argument.

And how are we to tell if the position is valid or not? By the fruit. If you told me that i could live an entire life on whale blubber, i might not believe you; but if you showed me some Eskimos who do just that, i am then led to reconsider, or further deny in some way.