Is it Okay for Christians to Pray to Mary?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

As a Christian how does your heart lead you in this subject

• MARY should be revered

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Mary should be respected

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is clear that Mary’s unique position as the mother of Jesus did not give her any more access to God than another believer in Christ is given. Therefore, Mary is not worthy of receiving prayers from Christians. Jesus addressed this in Luke 11 by emphasizing that it’s more blessed to be a follower of Christ than to be the mother of Christ.

Christians have always been amazed and interested in Mary, the mother of Jesus. This is understandable because her role in God’s redemption plan is unlike that of anyone else. She carried the Son of God in her womb, gave birth to him, nursed him as an infant, and (with her husband, Joseph) nurtured him through his childhood.

Mary is worthy of admiration due to her selflessness, courage, and faith in God. Especially in her time, to be unwed and pregnant was extremely shameful and sometimes even resulted in serious punishment. Yet she faithful fully obeyed when God called her. Her response to the angel’s announcement was to rejoice in song – “My soul glorifies the Lord” (Luke 1:46-55).

DMV_Believer

Mar 1, 2021
Fairfax
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is clear that Mary’s unique position as the mother of Jesus did not give her any more access to God than another believer in Christ is given. Therefore, Mary is not worthy of receiving prayers from Christians. Jesus addressed this in Luke 11 by emphasizing that it’s more blessed to be a follower of Christ than to be the mother of Christ.

Christians have always been amazed and interested in Mary, the mother of Jesus. This is understandable because her role in God’s redemption plan is unlike that of anyone else. She carried the Son of God in her womb, gave birth to him, nursed him as an infant, and (with her husband, Joseph) nurtured him through his childhood.

Mary is worthy of admiration due to her selflessness, courage, and faith in God. Especially in her time, to be unwed and pregnant was extremely shameful and sometimes even resulted in serious punishment. Yet she faithful fully obeyed when God called her. Her response to the angel’s announcement was to rejoice in song – “My soul glorifies the Lord” (Luke 1:46-55).

I am the Lord: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. - Isaiah 42:8

Mary is also a created being. Praying to her is sinful. As you are to worship God and Him only you shall serve. -- Luke 4:8

Blessings,

Arman

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"They have no wine."
Aye, they had no wine and they had no Comforter.

"1 So I returned, and considered all the oppressions that are done under the sun: and behold the tears of such as were oppressed, and they had no comforter; and on the side of their oppressors there was power; but they had no comforter." Ecc 4:1

But now we do!

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." John 14:18

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;" John 14:16

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary is Not God, She is not Omnipresent. She could not possibly hear one persons prayer. Let alone to to listen to millions of people praying to her at one time and trying to differentiate each request. Imagine what we would do if 100000 people came at the same time and asked us different questions. it would be unintelligible.

It is sad people want to hold her up as equal with God.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm always puzzled by those who fear honouring Mary.

Frankly, it's impossible for us to honour her more than God already has.

Everything that Mary is, flows from who Jesus is!

Thus:
Mother of God,
Ark of the New Covenant,
Queen of heaven and earth (mother of the King!)

Jesus gives her to us (and we to her!) At the foot of the cross..

Mary is not God, and no one has suggested she is...

There is nothing to fear from her. She always points to her Son and says:
'do whatever He tells you'

Peace be with you!

Reactions: historyb

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We can and do honour her without praying to her. She was a special lady.

Hi Pearl,

One is certainly free to not ask her for help.,
But why would anyone condemn their brothers and sisters for asking her for her prayers on our behalf?

The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful.

Peace!

Reactions: historyb

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Pearl,

One is certainly free to not ask her for help.,
But why would anyone condemn their brothers and sisters for asking her for her prayers on our behalf?

The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful.

Peace!
@Philip James I'm sorry if you thought that was condemnation. I didn't think it was.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary is no longer among the living. And I know, we all live forever, but we are never told to pray to those humans who have passed on to heaven.
Mary is not among the living? How about Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? What men consider living and what God considers living are not the same thing, are they? And are we not to be like Him?

"I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." Matt 22:32

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary is not among the living? How about Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? What men consider living and what God considers living are not the same thing, are they? And are we not to be like Him?

"I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." Matt 22:32
No, they are not among the living. They are not walking around on the earth. Where are we told to pray to people who have passed from this physical life? Do you pray to Abraham, or Isaac, or Jacob, or maybe you pray to David? What foolishness! We don't pray to humans, they are just like us. Every one of them sinned and fell short of God's glory, including Mary.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, they are not among the living. They are not walking around on the earth. Where are we told to pray to people who have passed from this physical life? Do you pray to Abraham, or Isaac, or Jacob, or maybe you pray to David? What foolishness! We don't pray to humans, they are just like us. Every one of them sinned and fell short of God's glory, including Mary.
Where did I say anything about praying to anyone but God?
I was talking about "living".
But since you brought it up, can anyone alive pray for anyone else?
Have you ever heard of intercessory prayer?
Have you ever asked another person to pray for you?
Has another person ever asked you to pray for them?
Why would it be different for someone who has died physically but lives on with God?

"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16

I am not suggesting that anyone pray to Mary, but why could she could not be included as one of those righteous people we might ask to pray for us? Because she died physically?

Can you answer my questions without putting words in my mouth?

Reactions: Philip James

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where did I say anything about praying to anyone but God?
I was talking about "living".
But since you brought it up, can anyone alive pray for anyone else?
Have you ever heard of intercessory prayer?
Have you ever asked another person to pray for you?
Has another person ever asked you to pray for them?
Why would it be different for someone who has died physically but lives on with God?

"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16

I am not suggesting that anyone pray to Mary, but why could she could not be included as one of those righteous people we might ask to pray for us? Because she died physically?

Can you answer my questions without putting words in my mouth?
The topic is praying to Mary. Praying for someone is not praying to someone. Of course, I intercede for others in prayer. Praying for or with a dead person? Where is that in scripture? What need does someone who has already passed on have for me to pray for them? Where are we told to ask dead people to pray for us?

What does scripture say on the topic?

Leviticus 19:31
“Do not turn to mediums or necromancers; do not seek them out, and so make yourselves unclean by them: I am the Lord your God.

1 Chronicles 10:13-14
So Saul died for his breach of faith. He broke faith with the Lord in that he did not keep the command of the Lord, and also consulted a medium, seeking guidance. He did not seek guidance from the Lord. Therefore the Lord put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David the son of Jesse.

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,