Is it right to be personally targetting each other?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So with what I see on this forum, this is an issue that needs to be brought up to the surface, so this is why i created this thread.

We see Christian's brothers & sisters verbally bashing each other way too much, personally targeting each other, verbally attacking each other, throwing insults at each other, Christians are making an argument out of nearly everything, we got extremes on each side. Is it morally right for us Christians to be acting in such a way?

I have my views on this, what are yours?

I personally believe it's damaging to brothers & sisters in Christ, and creates further division. Rather than beating someone down, we should encourage & build up, our mates, brothers, sisters, etc. and give them a good word.

;)

Reactions: Jon Klink

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So with what I see on this forum, this is an issue that needs to be brought up to the surface, so this is why i created this thread.

We see Christian's brothers & sisters verbally bashing each other way too much, personally targeting each other, verbally attacking each other, throwing insults at each other, Christians are making an argument out of nearly everything, we got extremes on each side. Is it morally right for us Christians to be acting in such a way?

I personally believe it's damaging to brothers & sisters in Christ, and creates further division. Rather than beating someone down, we should encourage & build up, our mates, brothers, sisters, etc. and give them a good word.

;)

Since this is your Thread, would you allow me to post one example of "bashing"?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

;)

what makes you think or believe that just because people state they are Christian have any real beliefs to such? this isn't the only site that invites Christian bashing. don't you know that when people state something that people find office or upsetting they are most likely to respond, and in the case of a web site that is good because it generates more traffic and responses?

its simple, no one is required to entertain anything they are not in agreement with. the Lord never requires you to do so, but you as a believer are to entertain Him and His Son (His Word) because Jesus is the agreement one is supposed to be in agreement with. Eve wasn't required at any time to entertain what the serpent had to say, nor did Jesus entertain anything Satan had to say, only that Jesus would respond with the Word which is as a Son of God in the flesh is what He entertained.

Reactions: Angelina and Sword

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider this: a recovering alcoholic can go to someone struggling with the same addiction. They can voice drinking is wrong and it destroys. Yet, this is considered love rather than an attack or condemnation or judgement because the person has been in the same place and has never forgotten the hold the addiction once had over their life. Their words are spoken out of genuine concern, rather than condemnation.

On the flip side, another person that has never touched alcohol in their life can voice the same concern in the same manner and it is considered condemnation. The only way to judge or condemn or attack another person is to believe you are better than that person. We all have weaknesses. We all have holes. It is when our opinion and perceptions of ourselves are so high and inflated that we forget: We also need mercy, grace and forgiveness. The Apostle Paul was given a thorn in the flesh. There is much debate over what the thorn is but does it really matter? The Lord tells us two key things here: “Thorn” is symbolic for sin. Where is the thorn lodged? In the flesh. A thorn that irritates Paul’s flesh. A thorn that constantly pokes the Apostles flesh reminding him that, even he, one who was carried up into the third heaven, needs the Lords grace. We all need grace. (I am paraphrasing): Paul said he would rather boast in his infirmities. And if he was going to boast...he would make his boast in Jesus Christ. No one is perfect. Only Jesus. Why did others want to kill Jesus? Was it because He performed miracles of healing? No. They wanted to kill Him because He spoke truth, even unto His death. Why did Jesus tell the disciples they also would endure the same persecution? Because they would heal? No. Because they spoke truth. They didn’t pacify people to gain favor in their sight, they spoke to benefit another person.

How do you know that’s not what is going on here? How do you know it is not out of love? Is it loving to tell someone what they want to hear so you will benefit from them liking you? Or is it kinder to speak out against errors so that they may see? Ok, maybe the person that thinks they are doing the correcting is wrong and they are the one in error, but still, even in that, their speaking out may bring them into an encounter with truth themselves.

You may say: conviction is left up to the Holy Ghost. Then leave healing up to the Holy Ghost as well. Why confront illness. Why not just do nothing. Let the Spirit handle it in private. The spirit and that person alone. Why intervene? Why lay hands on the sick? Would you not agree the Holy Ghost works with the church to reveal Jesus Christ? How do you know words spoken towards another are not from the Holy Ghost? The Holy Ghost words must be pretty blunt and abrasive…if those words cause persecution unto death.

I need mercy, grace and forgiveness. Same as others. I am an adult and what I want is: when I post something utterly insane...I want to be told it is utterly insane so I can go back and revisit it. I don't want to live in error. I don't want to be pacified so I will like you. Because then you have had a part in my then going and spreading lies. No, I don't want that.

That is just my opinion, Josho.
I want the truth. Even if it hurts my tender flesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since this is your Thread, would you allow me to post one example of "bashing"?

No, as for the reason Mungo said.

Proverbs 15:1
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control

Reactions: tabletalk

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Consider this: a recovering alcoholic can go to someone struggling with the same addiction. They can voice drinking is wrong and it destroys. Yet, this is considered love rather than an attack or condemnation or judgement because the person has been in the same place and has never forgotten the hold the addiction once had over their life. Their words are spoken out of genuine concern, rather than condemnation.

On the flip side, another person that has never touched alcohol in their life can voice the same concern in the same manner and it is considered condemnation. The only way to judge or condemn or attack another person is to believe you are better than that person. We all have weaknesses. We all have holes. It is when our opinion and perceptions of ourselves are so high and inflated that we forget: We also need mercy, grace and forgiveness. The Apostle Paul was given a thorn in the flesh. There is much debate over what the thorn is but does it really matter? The Lord tells us two key things here: “Thorn” is symbolic for sin. Where is the thorn lodged? In the flesh. A thorn that irritates Paul’s flesh. A thorn that constantly pokes the Apostles flesh reminding him that, even he, one who was carried up into the third heaven, needs the Lords grace. We all need grace. (I am paraphrasing): Paul said he would rather boast in his infirmities. And if he was going to boast...he would make his boast in Jesus Christ. No one is perfect. Only Jesus. Why did others want to kill Jesus? Was it because He performed miracles of healing? No. They wanted to kill Him because He spoke truth, even unto His death. Why did Jesus tell the disciples they also would endure the same persecution? Because they would heal? No. Because they spoke truth. They didn’t pacify people to gain favor in their sight, they spoke to benefit another person.

How do you know that’s not what is going on here? How do you know it is not out of love? Is it loving to tell someone what they want to hear so you will benefit from them liking you? Or is it kinder to speak out against errors so that they may see? Ok, maybe the person that thinks they are doing the correcting is wrong and they are the one in error, but still, even in that, their speaking out may bring them into an encounter with truth themselves.

You may say: conviction is left up to the Holy Ghost. Then leave healing up to the Holy Ghost as well. Why confront illness. Why not just do nothing. Let the Spirit handle it in private. The spirit and that person alone. Why intervene? Why lay hands on the sick? Would you not agree the Holy Ghost works with the church to reveal Jesus Christ? How do you know words spoken towards another are not from the Holy Ghost? The Holy Ghost words must be pretty blunt and abrasive…if those words cause persecution unto death.

I need mercy, grace and forgiveness. Same as others. I am an adult and what I want is: when I post something utterly insane...I want to be told it is utterly insane so I can go back and revisit it. I don't want to live in error. I don't want to be pacified so I will like you. Because then you have had a part in my then going and spreading lies. No, I don't want that.

That is just my opinion, Josho.
I want the truth. Even if it hurts my tender flesh.

Good post, but I reckon there is a certain point, when people just start making others feel bad, when people are slamming them for that wrong they did and they start throwing in insults directed at that person, but it's not just when someone was wrong, it also happens when someone is right, someone is talking truth, someone is doing a good deed, and then maybe a thousand people start attacking some preacher on the internet on their own post, or attacking some other individual who is truly a Christian, and when you go read all the comments, they are all negative...... I see it far too much. Should someone have to put up with that sort of stuff? Then there are other times when people keep bringing up someone else's past, that they have repented for and they continually slam them for something that has been forgiven.

I am thin skinned at times, and when I get put into a corner like that, even if it's just some little thing at work or anywhere, it could even be myself putting me in that position, my thinking turns negative, i start worrying lots, doubting myself, putting myself down, questioning myself "Am I even any good?", "Am I good at anything?", then it moves on to worser thoughts, like putting a gun to my head, I know I don't want to kill myself, but yes there are moments when i feel like putting a gun to my head. And that's why i reckon we gotta be very careful in the way we use our mouth towards others, because some do have it worse than me, and it's sad, it can be damaging.

Reactions: Sword

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post, but I reckon there is a certain point, when people just start making others feel bad, when people are slamming them for that wrong they did and they start throwing in insults directed at that person, but it's not just when someone was wrong, it also happens when someone is right, someone is talking truth, someone is doing a good deed, and then maybe a thousand people start attacking some preacher on the internet on their own post, or attacking some other individual who is truly a Christian, and when you go read all the comments, they are all negative...... I see it far too much. Should someone have to put up with that sort of stuff? Then there are other times when people keep bringing up someone else's past, that they have repented for and they continually slam them for something that has been forgiven.

I am thin skinned at times, and when I get put into a corner like that, even if it's just some little thing at work or anywhere, it could even be myself putting me in that position, my thinking turns negative, i start worrying lots, doubting myself, putting myself down, questioning myself "Am I even any good?", "Am I good at anything?", then it moves on to worser thoughts, like putting a gun to my head, I know I don't want to kill myself, but yes there are moments when i feel like putting a gun to my head. And that's why i reckon we gotta be very careful in the way we use our mouth towards others, because some do have it worse than me, and it's sad, it can be damaging.

Josho, I apologize for not being able respond to your post in the manner I should. There is so much I could say to you, but yesterday, my daughters husband OD on heroin. Today, after my grandson comes home from the mountains, we get to tell a nine year old about his father. They were very close. His father was thirty and had been clean for a while now. A couple of recent failures sent him to use just once more. It was the last time. Do NOT ever entertain thoughts of checking out. If God has you here, He has you here because He needs you here.

Mercy, Josho. Have you ever considered you have the gift? We all need mercy but it seems a mercy giver has been given a grander measure of mercy by the spirit. For Gods purposes.

What is the spiritual gift of mercy?

Reactions: Josho

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We see Christian's brothers & sisters verbally bashing each other way too much, personally targeting each other, verbally attacking each other, throwing insults at each other, Christians are making an argument out of nearly everything, we got extremes on each side.
The Moderators need to moderate.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree with Job. Not that it is fun when moderation is 'heavy' on a site, freedom is good, but a nice balance in moderation would be good too.

I believe that any 'bashing' and rudeness is never the way to go in life....Christian or none Christian!!

"To me" it is personally fine to say to someone...."Sorry, I do not agree on that, this is how I believe and see it."
But to be hurtful and tell someone that what they are saying is totally wrong, does not breed a friendly spirit or atmosphere. I am sure we have all belonged to sites where the members show maturity in their 'arguments', and know how to "disagree agreeably" in a good and friendly spirit...even strong disagreements can be done maturely. It would be a boring site if we all just said that we agreed with every opening post! Ha!
Another persons view on a scripture or subject , and someone else's perspective is good and edifying. Rudeness is never acceptable. So I apologize for doing that as I may well have fallen into that trap a couple of times myself.:(

Some people can and do write as if- "I and I only have the truth, and I speak as God"....that can be quite annoying. An 'arrogant spirit' does bring out the worst in us...but that is where maturity comes in.
We should sidestep 'religious spirits' rather than try to argue with them or straighten them out, it is always a waste of time. ...but it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that we can change that type of spirit in a post. All Christian sites seem to have one or two!!! LOL So it must be good for us.:)

Proverbs 27:17
17 "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

But that must be a two way street to really do any good.

P.S.I have just seen iforrest/admin post after posting mine. I am guessing that not many of us would like to use that unless really needful...no one likes " running to teacher " and tittle tattling. But thanks...a good option when things get 'too hot'. ;)

Reactions: jshiii and Josho

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please use the report system to notify us. Each report becomes an open action someone has to resolve.

I reported many posts but I never been aware of any action by Moderators. It seems to me to be a waste of time.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I reported many posts but I never been aware of any action by Moderators. It seems to me to be a waste of time.

We don't tell the person that sent the report if action is taken against a member. A warning point is not visible to everyone, but it is still there. Sometimes we simply close the report when there was no clear violation of the rules.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In what way does this site accommodate sin?
I would prefer to address Josho in this matter since it was his post I responded to.

You understand...............right?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
just a few things I do to govern myself:

I see a lot of things I disagree with. But I have resolved not to attack a person or their denomination. I attack the doctrine.

When I say I attack the doctrine, I first identify it, state my objection and then give references. I do nothing else. I don't accuse anyone even of being false.... Of being ignorant ... Of being anti-whatever.

I don't put up with false accusations either. There is a difference between not understanding my point and rewording what I say. I will cut you off after the 3rd offence and I won't have anything more to do with you.

After a certain amount of time, I will judge. I will say to member A that Member B is right and you are wrong.

A man that defends himself has a fool for a client. Sometimes we should be our brother's keeper.

If we could raise Paul and Peter from the dead and get them to participate, I would not have more respect for them than someone who admits they were wrong. Its very tough to do so. I have absolutely no respect for anyone who bashes someone who admits an error and I will call you out and shame you if you gloat. And I won't be nice about it.

Folks, be kind to one another.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
This site needs to stop accommodating sin.
lol.
that ends up being pretty subjective tho--sin according to whom?

if you can take offense and not give it you do well. better than me i guess

you do not want more involved moderators, and you know who you're talking to here pretty quickly as a result of that anyway, people are less inhibited.

by posting you pretty much agree to welcome all comments, and just consider the source right.

"stop accomodating sin" = "ignore" eh

Last edited:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would prefer to address Josho in this matter since it was his post I responded to.

You understand...............right?

I await your response to Josho.