Is it unchristian to salute a flag.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
You know jws reject pledging the flsg cause they believe they should serve jehovah not man. This is why they were persecuted so much in the past. But the jws aren't 100% right but are they right om this?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know jws reject pledging the flsg cause they believe they should serve jehovah not man. This is why they were persecuted so much in the past. But the jws aren't 100% right but are they right om this?

They are right, we do serve God, not man. The closest I can come to anything Government in the bible was when Jesus says:
Mark 12:17
And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marveled at him.

The coin had Caesers IMAGE on it, so Jesus says to give it back to him, and my guess is that since we are human, and made in the IMAGE of God...to give back to God what is His? And, the coin, bearing Caesers image, should be rendered back to Caeser. Just my thoughts.
Personally I stay away from the "cares of this world", and , politics is a MAJOR care of "this world"...the bible also states somewhere that, to keep the peace we should follow the laws of the ruling authorities-in other words, don't break the law.
Just my thoughts Mr. Michael :)
P.S. Did I see somewhere that your name is Sean?
God Bless,
-nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mister Michael
I knew a man who years ago was my pastor who would never salute the US flag [or any other flag]. I don't believe this was wrong if it is done for the right reason. We must put God first but as I understand it that doesn't mean we cannot honor our nation and its flag. It simply means first things first. If we are putting country and flag above God with our salute then it would be in error in the eyes of God. But we should be very slow to judge others on that. I don't know the current words to the German National Anthem, but while in Germany I learned these few words to that same song which were sung regularly during the Third Reich in Hitler 's Germany:

"Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt. Wenn es komt zum …" [Here my memory fails me on it]
It means, "Germany, Germany over everything, over everything in the world. When it comes to..."
If in our heart we put our nation and our flag over God as it some apparently did in Nazi Germany then it would likely be sin for us. What is in your heart is what really matters to God.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave L and Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Mister Michael
I knew a man who years ago was my pastor who would never salute the US flag [or any other flag]. I don't believe this was wrong if it is done for the right reason. We must put God first but as I understand it that doesn't mean we cannot honor our nation and its flag. It simply means first things first. If we are putting country and flag above God with our salute then it would be in error in the eyes of God. But we should be very slow to judge others on that. I don't know the current words to the German National Anthem, but while in German I learn these few words to that same song which were sung regularly during the Third Reich in Hitler 's Germany:

"Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt. Wenn es komt zum …" [Here my memory fails me on it]
It means, "Germany, Germany over everything, over everything in the world. When it comes to..."
If in our heart we put our nation and our flag over God as it some apparently did in Nazi Germany then it would likely be sin for us. What is in your heart is what really matters to God.

The German national anthem remains the same....although they changed the words...at least for the public.

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
@Mister Michael
I knew a man who years ago was my pastor who would never salute the US flag [or any other flag]. I don't believe this was wrong if it is done for the right reason. We must put God first but as I understand it that doesn't mean we cannot honor our nation and its flag. It simply means first things first. If we are putting country and flag above God with our salute then it would be in error in the eyes of God. But we should be very slow to judge others on that. I don't know the current words to the German National Anthem, but while in German I learn these few words to that same song which were sung regularly during the Third Reich in Hitler 's Germany:

uber alles was used by the Weimar republic right

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
uber alles was used by the Weimar republic right
I cannot say that for certain, but likely it was so for the 1st World War led by the Kaiser Germany was also very much an aggressive nationalistic nation. The Weimar Republic was set up after the armistice. I doubt there was any change to the anthem but without researching it I remain uncertain on that point.

Reactions: Mister Michael

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
what Bout the pledge and the words "a nation under God"
I cannot say that for certain, but likely it was so for the 1st World War led by the Kaiser Germany was also very much an aggressive nationalistic nation. The Weimar Republic was set up after the armistice. I doubt there was any change to the anthem but without researching it I remain uncertain on that point.[/QUOTE

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what Bout the pledge and the words "a nation under God"
When I first start attending public elementary school [1949], we learned the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag and recited it in the auditorium together with the entire student body. Those words, "under God" were NOT included initially. However, while I was still in elementary school with Eisenhower as the President I remember the new words being added...Although I have not spoken the Pledge for many years, I still remember it word for word like I remember my military service number.

I wish I had been reading and memorizing the Bible in those days, but the Catholic Church I attended did not expect or even suggest that anyone do that. My parents at the time attended no church and to my knowledge never said any prayers in our home. I was, as a Catholic, the only one who attended church or as far as I know who talked to God.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, because they're setting up a false dichotomy.

Yes, we should always serve God first and foremost- that's a given. But we can do that AND participate in our community and democratic* process as Christ's disciples. In fact, I would argue that's it's my Christian duty to vote and help promote policies that Christ-like values and build a better society the way. We serve God by working as His disciples in the community.

*Obviously not all governments are democratic and give us this privilege.

Reactions: Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
|Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält.
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt,
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt! :|

Germany, Germany above all,
Above all in the world,
When, for protection and defense,
It always stands brotherly together.
From the Meuse to the Neman,
From the Adige to the Belt,

Germany, Germany above all,
Above all in the world! :|

Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue,
Deutscher Wein und deutscher Sang
Sollen in der Welt behalten
Ihren alten schönen Klang,
Uns zu edler Tat begeistern
Unser ganzes Leben lang.

Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue,
Deutscher Wein und deutscher Sang! :|

German women, German loyalty,
German wine and German song

Shall retain in the world
Their old beautiful chime
And inspire us to noble deeds
During all of our life.

German women, German loyalty,
German wine and German song! :|

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
Für das deutsche Vaterland!
Danach lasst uns alle streben
Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand!
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
Sind des Glückes Unterpfand;

Blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes,
Blühe, deutsches Vaterland! :|

Unity and justice and freedom
For the German fatherland!
Towards these let us all strive
Brotherly with heart and hand!
Unity and justice and freedom
Are the foundation of happiness;
|: Flourish in the radiance of this happiness,
Flourish, German fatherland! :|

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe there is any wrong in one being loyal to his country and flag. God made the nations and placed us where He wants us and requires we obey the powers that be, for they are of God. (Rom. 13:1-7)

Stranger

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is a fine line when it come's to the Banner we use to declare the symbol of our Nation, a Symbol that exemplifies that this is a free nation, Governed by the rule of Law! that being said, even Israel had Banners, But God was who they Honored. As Believer's, our Allegiance is to God and Savior, as far as the Country goes thank God we live here, at least for now!
If we look to the Flag, do it in Reverence to the Many that laid down their Life's for the Freedom it Stand's for! GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no hypocrisy there eh
I guess that there really are still a lot of Superman fans...

The following I copied from the "Superman Homepage":

Superman: Truth, Justice, and the American Way
"Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound"

1938 was a dark time for America, crime and economic collapse spread over the land as war loomed in the distance. Men sought dilligently for work to support their families, the Mob seized their claws on whatever they could, and in Washington; the President worked long hours repairing the critical state our fractured country was in. Yet, Americans managed to hold firm to hope, setting aside the worries of the day - we found peace of mind and joy at the movies, on the radio, and in the printed page.

Then, two men from Cleveland introduced us to a legend. America would find a renewed hope and strength in their caped icon. The common man didn't feel so small and helpless anymore. Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegal gave the Nation a hero, not from America like Babe Ruth nor of this world like Tarzan; but, a champion from far beyond the stars... from the planet Krypton.

I grew up with Superman as one of my heroes. I thought I was a good, faithful Catholic boy and that I loved my country, America. Ignorance may be bliss, but eventually, hopefully, many from ignorance will encounter and pursue a better way to truth than the "American way".

Reactions: bbyrd009