is man in God's image?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is true God made man in His likeness and image but is man in God's likeness and image?

the sons of man are not, in God's image and likeness unless it's restored to them.

Reactions: Helen

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God creating man in Genesis 1 in His likeness is about God's outward appearance, i.e., form. I believe God also created the specific man Adam He placed in His Garden imbued with The Holy Spirit, but not the peoples outside His Eden on earth which the Hebrew of Gen.1:26-27 shows He also created on the 6th day.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is true God made man in His likeness and image but is man in God's likeness and image?

the sons of man are not, in God's image and likeness unless it's restored to them.

After the fall, Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his Image, and named him Seth. GEN 5:3

The Scripture says that God would Visit Adam in the Garden, So if Moses couldn't look upon the Creator, Adam and Eve must of had a Spiritual protection of some sort, something God gave them at their creation, to allow them to interact?????? I also do not know to what extent God revealed Himself?????

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After the fall, Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his Image, and named him Seth. GEN 5:3

The Scripture says that God would Visit Adam in the Garden, So if Moses couldn't look upon the Creator, Adam and Eve must of had a Spiritual protection of some sort, something God gave them at their creation, to allow them to interact?????? I also do not know to what extent God revealed Himself?????

well even after the flood of Noah the Lord God reiterated:
Gen_9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

but that was when He made the man did He make man in His image and likeness, and the Lord left man with the life of dust to dust and ashes to ashes that animals already had in the flesh, but they truly "lost" the Life God gave them before they ate of the tree, hence that is when they died to God. if you remember Jesus would throw in a they are already dead or you are already dead. because to the Kingdom of God we are until we are of the Holy Spirit. and God's image and likeness is what? and certainly what men are when they are born into this world isn't the image and likeness of God.

Gen_8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

but Jesus coming into the world restored the image and likeness of God in the flesh, the Son of man. truly the image and likeness of a Father is in the Son, a Beloved One at that. The image and likeness of God is a Life not received when born into the world, but restored in Christ Jesus. if you remember Jesus breathed on the Apostle telling them to receive the Holy Spirit. how did Adam become a living soul? after the garden maybe one could say a dead soul.

Reactions: Truth

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God creating man in Genesis 1 in His likeness is about God's outward appearance, i.e., form. I believe God also created the specific man Adam He placed in His Garden imbued with The Holy Spirit, but not the peoples outside His Eden on earth which the Hebrew of Gen.1:26-27 shows He also created on the 6th day.

where does it say the flesh is in the image of God? according to Jesus God is a Spirit, so tell us, what is the image of a spirit? since we know, flesh can't inherit Heaven.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well even after the flood of Noah the Lord God reiterated:
Gen_9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

but that was when He made the man did He make man in His image and likeness, and the Lord left man with the life of dust to dust and ashes to ashes that animals already had in the flesh, but they truly "lost" the Life God gave them before they ate of the tree, hence that is when they died to God. if you remember Jesus would throw in a they are already dead or you are already dead. because to the Kingdom of God we are until we are of the Holy Spirit. and God's image and likeness is what? and certainly what men are when they are born into this world isn't the image and likeness of God.

Gen_8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

but Jesus coming into the world restored the image and likeness of God in the flesh, the Son of man. truly the image and likeness of a Father is in the Son, a Beloved One at that. The image and likeness of God is a Life not received when born into the world, but restored in Christ Jesus. if you remember Jesus breathed on the Apostle telling them to receive the Holy Spirit. how did Adam become a living soul? after the garden maybe one could say a dead soul.

Well said! When He had breathed on them they had not yet received the Holy Spirit, not until the day of Pentecost did they receive the Promise, But yes He did breath on them John 20:22 which may have symbolized the breath of life, also I agree that Our savior restored the Image and Likeness of God in the Flesh, I found this statement very refreshing, and to be quite Honest I believe you are dead on Target. Again WELL SAID!!!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
where does it say the flesh is in the image of God? according to Jesus God is a Spirit, so tell us, what is the image of a spirit? since we know, flesh can't inherit Heaven.

Gen 1:26-27
26 And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in His Own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.

KJV

God is a Spirit (John 4:24), and His image likeness is that of the form of man:

Ezek 1:26
26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it.

KJV

Even Archangel Gabriel's name means 'man of God' (Strong's 1403). It's because the image likeness of man comes from God's Own image likeness, which is that of a man. This is why the angels are called "sons of God" and also why those in Christ are now called "sons of God" also, pointing to the eternal condition of the resurrection of life in the world to come, for in the resurrection, they neither marry nor take in marriage. Thus all the future children of God are 'sons'.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 1:26-27
26 And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in His Own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.

KJV

God is a Spirit (John 4:24), and His image likeness is that of the form of man:

26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it.

KJV

Even Archangel Gabriel's name means 'man of God' (Strong's 1403). It's because the image likeness of man comes from God's Own image likeness, which is that of a man. This is why the angels are called "sons of God" and also why those in Christ are now called "sons of God" also, pointing to the eternal condition of the resurrection of life in the world to come, for in the resurrection, they neither marry nor take in marriage. Thus all the future children of God are 'sons'.

this is why I consider you a liar:

the very scripture you quoted says this

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

and you seek to get others to believe it says this:

God is a Spirit (John 4:24), and His image likeness is that of the form of man

God is not in the likeness of a man. though He can make His Word flesh. and appear in the flesh as He did with Abraham.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 5:14 "Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come".

Here, figure, is synonyms with "IMAGE"/"FORM". but one must understand that there are two types of G3444 μορφή morphe (mor-fee') n. physical, outward, appearance, Intrinsic Spatial, concrete, objectively. and there is the Spiritual morphe, inward, quality, character, intrinsic nature, abstract, Subjectively.

third, not going off subject. man was formed by God on day three, the Intrinsic Spatial, but the forming of his "IMAGE" was on day 6, "the ANOTHER of himself in flesh". for the term ADAM, or man is "ANOTHER" of God in Intrinsic Spatial, (FLESH). but on day three his "IMAGE" was formed in intrinsic nature, meaning "character" or the characteristics of God, hence the term "Son" G5207, huios meaning (of) God, which we get the term "Son of God". this form, intrinsic nature, was to be developed over time. and the form, Intrinsic Spatial was to come/appear over time.

PCY.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God is not in the likeness of a man. though He can make His Word flesh. and appear in the flesh as He did with Abraham.

Genesis 1:26-27 is emphatic that God created Adam in His image likeness, which is the outward form of Adam's flesh, a man. That is also how God's Own Image Likeness in the Heavenly appears in form, the same image of man, because it originated from God Himself.

Even the future "spiritual body" Paul taught in 1 Cor.15 will have a form, or outward image of man.

Even the angels... have that image form of man, which is the "image of the heavenly" Paul declared for the resurrection in 1 Cor.15:49.

Gen 19:1-5
19:1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;

2 And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.

3 And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.

4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:

5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

KJV

Then we were shown this in God's Word about the form of the angels:

Heb 13:2
2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
KJV

And you have the audacity to call me a liar when I have shown you the Scriptures of God's Word about that form and likeness? YOU WHITE WASHED WALL, your FALSE application of God's image likeness of Genesis 1 is just like EASTERN RELIGIOUS philosophy.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 22:30
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

KJV

Just how... are those angels of God in heaven folks? Are they just some ghosts spirits floating around in ether space with no form or shape? Are they... The Holy Spirit? No, of course not.

1 Cor 15:42-50
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

That "spiritual body" is the "image of the heavenly" that Paul mentions further down. It is the resurrection body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

Paul is actually comparing those of the resurrection with those that are heavenly. Just who... might that be? It's those in the heavenly, of course. And who is that? God and the angels.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Just as we have "borne the image of the earthy" in these flesh bodies, we shall also "bear the image of the heavenly", which is the "spiritual body" Paul taught in the above.

And just to make sure we understand he is not talking about a flesh body like we have today, Paul then said this:

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

KJV

So, what kind of image in the heavenly will we have with a resurrected "spiritual body"? What kind of form and image likeness will it have? Paul answered that too...

1 Cor 15:45-47
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

KJV

That is why John said that now we are the "sons of God", but it doesn't yet appear what we shall be, but we know when Jesus shall appear, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is...

1 John 3:2
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.
KJV

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
< Is man in God's image and likeness >

I believe my answer is No...not yet...
I believe in Eden was the beginning of the "making of man" .
The Body of Christ is a corporate body...I believe in the.. 'day as a thousand years and a thousand as a day, type...
We will be one body , and one new corporate man...

I'm not married to it...but I don't believe 'the man' is complete yet.
" He who has begun a good work in us...will complete it in the day of Jesus Christ"

My two cents...

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Forgot to say YES...I agree with you...

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, God has a head. He has two arms.. 2 legs. .. Don't think he has a tail. We get descriptions of God all over the scripture. God even has a butt. Moses saw the hinder parts of God.

Yet God is a spirit. My opinion is that God can take any shape he wants to... But he was going to deal with men so he appears and descibes himself as such.

In Genesis 1 God created "man". But what did he really create? He created "Adam". A being with both male and female nature who was immortal. Woman was separated from him in Gen 2 and they fell to mortality in chapter 3.

My point is we are NOT in the image of Adam as originally created. We are in the image he fell into. We are in the image of the Gen 4 version of Adam. The Gen 1 and 2 version of Adam was in the image of God.

A very interesting statement was mafe by Paul in 1 Cor 15:45.

1 Corinthians 15:45 KJV
And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

I understand at first glance this may contradict what I said. But let's. Analyze it. Adam was made a living soul. It doesn't say created as a living soul.

The second Adam was made a quickening spirit. Who was the second Adam? My educated guess is Jesus. Was Jesus created as a spirit? No. He came as a man and was made a spirit. He was born in the flesh, ddied, appeared as resurrected flesh and became a spirit.

Paul is showing a reverse similarity in Adam and Jesus. One was originally a spiritual being and fell to mortal fleah. The other born of mortal flesh and became a spiritual man.

Our inward man whis is Christ in us is in the image of God. Our flesh isn't.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, God has a head. He has two arms.. 2 legs. .. Don't think he has a tail. We get descriptions of God all over the scripture. God even has a butt. Moses saw the hinder parts of God.

Yet God is a spirit. My opinion is that God can take any shape he wants to... But he was going to deal with men so he appears and descibes himself as such.

In Genesis 1 God created "man". But what did he really create? He created "Adam". A being with both male and female nature who was immortal. Woman was separated from him in Gen 2 and they fell to mortality in chapter 3.

My point is we are NOT in the image of Adam as originally created. We are in the image he fell into. We are in the image of the Gen 4 version of Adam. The Gen 1 and 2 version of Adam was in the image of God.

A very interesting statement was mafe by Paul in 1 Cor 15:45.

1 Corinthians 15:45 KJV
And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

I understand at first glance this may contradict what I said. But let's. Analyze it. Adam was made a living soul. It doesn't say created as a living soul.

The second Adam was made a quickening spirit. Who was the second Adam? My educated guess is Jesus. Was Jesus created as a spirit? No. He came as a man and was made a spirit. He was born in the flesh, ddied, appeared as resurrected flesh and became a spirit.

Paul is showing a reverse similarity in Adam and Jesus. One was originally a spiritual being and fell to mortal fleah. The other born of mortal flesh and became a spiritual man.

Our inward man whis is Christ in us is in the image of God. Our flesh isn't.

it is true God made Adam a living soul when He made Adam so what died at the tree? it was the soul, the life in the flesh lasted over 900 yr.'s

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

after they ate Adam was a dead soul, and life we receive when we are born into the world. hence as many say the second Adam "Jesus" quickeneth hence restoring the Life to the soul that Adam received when the Lord God breathed into his nostrils. that Life comes directly from God. we receive that restoration by being born again in Spirit.

hence Jesus restoring what was "lost" in the garden, by us receiving the Life of Christ. and it takes the Son of God to do it because what Adam was:

Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

that is the Life Adam had before he lost it, so to restore what was lost it takes the Son of God.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
it is true God made Adam a living soul when He made Adam so what died at the tree? it was the soul, the life in the flesh lasted over 900 yr.'s

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

after they ate Adam was a dead soul, and life we receive when we are born into the world. hence as many say the second Adam "Jesus" quickeneth hence restoring the Life to the soul that Adam received when the Lord God breathed into his nostrils. that Life comes directly from God. we receive that restoration by being born again in Spirit.

hence Jesus restoring what was "lost" in the garden.

Well put. What they lost was spiritual life...the ability to live in the spirit..when " their eyes were open"...they were locked into only seeing this realm, and no longer the spiritual realm as it were. ( just as the unsaved.)

You did not answer your own question...either that, or I missed your answer.

Do you believe that God is still 'making man' , or do you believe he did that already in Eden?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well put. What they lost was spiritual life...the ability to live in the spirit..when " their eyes were open"...they were locked into only seeing this realm, and no longer the spiritual realm as it were. ( just as the unsaved.)

You did not answer your own question...either that, or I missed your answer.

Do you believe that God is still 'making man' , or do you believe he did that already in Eden?

God made man in His image and likeness and there's no OT that I remember that disputes that so in the garden before they ate there was no "work in progress" in that respect. and Jesus came into the world and fulfilled the Son of God in the flesh to the Father's satisfaction because it was "lost" in the first Adam. and I don't see where Jesus was a "work in progress" either, seeing:

Joh 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

now as far a letting go this life seeking fulfillments in the Life of Christ while yet in the world Paul says:

Php_2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

also as John says:

1Jn_3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

just to be clear, human nature is what it is, no matter how much one may love or like it, but it is in no way shape or form God's nature. and God's nature is not a "work in progress".

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mankind was created in God's image and likeness....ie VERY GOOD.

Mankind FELL from Gods likeness and image...And thereafter was born IN
'mans image and likeness"; ie NOT GOOD.

Gen 5:3
....Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son IN HIS OWN LIKENESS, after HIS IMAGE...

Matt 19:17
....there is none good but one, that is, God...

A man WHO becomes converted, and MADE WHOLE, is restored to "good" and "made"
holy.

Rom 15:16
...being sanctifi-ED BY the Holy Ghost.

Matt 25:14
...Well done, thou good and faithful servant...

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: amadeus

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You can't be serious. You don't know the difference between man's outward appearance image vs. a flesh body. There's many like you who REFUSE to understand that the word man does NOT always mean a flesh body!

When Abraham saw The Lord and the two angels that appeared to him at his tent door, what outward appearance did it say they had?

Gen 18:1-2
18:1 And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;

2 And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,

KJV

One of the "three men" was our Lord Jesus, and He hadn't even been born of Mary yet! So He definitely was NOT in a flesh body when Abraham saw Him there!

In Gen.19, when the sodomites in Sodom and Gomorrah saw the two angels sent to Lot, the sodomites saw their outward image as what? As 'men'!

Gen 19:1
19:1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;

KJV

Gen 19:5
5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

KJV

God's Own outward likeness is that of a man! He is where the image appearance of man originates (Gen.1:26-27).

KJV

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds like the idea of the OP who began this thread is involved in some mystery cult, because of trying to portray God with no image, his having denied God's Word about God's outward likeness and appearance with the image of man (Ezekiel 1:26). Likewise, with his denial of the two angels that came to get Lot out that the sodomites saw the two angels with the outward image of men.

A WARNING brethren who listen:

There are some religious beliefs that treat our Heavenly Father not as an entity but as a Force. Many of the mystical fraternities call Him by the label 'cosmic consciousness'. They deem God as not having any particular form. Even the false idea of 'shape shifting' has been suggested here in this thread for God's outward appearance.

God is a Spirit according to our Lord Jesus (John 4:24). And those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth. Our Lord Jesus by that meant God demands our inner attention in worship, by our hearts, and not by sacrifices and ceremonial ritualistic worship that flesh man likes to creates to appear holy. But God being a Spirit does not... mean He is shapeless! God, forbid. He even warned us against that kind of shapeless no image interpretation through His prophet Daniel:

The following is a prophecy Daniel was given about the "vile person" who is to come to Jerusalem and place the "abomination of desolation"...

Dan 11:38-39
38 But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces: and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things.

39 Thus shall he do in the most strong holds with a strange god, whom he shall acknowledge and increase with glory: and he shall cause them to rule over many, and shall divide the land for gain.
KJV

May the Force be with you? A God of forces (or strongholds). That is one of the concepts of the mystical fraternities today also. It is one of the ways they can join many different peoples together under many different religions. If you treat God as a Spirit with no particular image, then He can be just any old god the devil's servants say he is. He can even be a woman by that false attitude! (don't laugh, some actually believe that).

That is where the false idea is coming from that our Heavenly Father has no outward likeness of man, the image which He also created the angels with, and also Adam with. Even the Archangel's name Gabriel means 'man of God', and Gabriel never has, nor every will, be born in the flesh.