Is the Bible an instruction book on how to be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:38-41
38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.
39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
41 "I do not receive honor from men.
NKJV

Religious man has always used scriptures to establish a formula of requirements to be saved. They just will not believe in the one that paid the price for all the sins of mankind.

Like Cain, they are so busy making up rules and requirements of things they must do and miss going to the one that can save them.

A person is saved when they realize they can not save themselves by what they do. It is then that they will place their faith in what Jesus did for them on the cross.

Taking up the cross is not taking up requirements of things to do but is placing faith and trust in what Jesus has already done for man on the cross.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
*Is the Bible an instruction book on how to be saved?*

That is the primary reason for the Bible, which has the Gospel from Genesis to Revelation. Naturally, there is a lot more to the Bible.

As to religiosity, that is built into the souls of human beings. Therefore there is some kind of religion in every part of the world. But the Gospel is unique to Bible Christianity.

Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Half of it is a history book... the remaining part is divided into an Introduction to a Savior of mankind, (a thick black book is not a savior, a man is), and a demonstration of how His followers went through life.

Last edited:

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most definitely!

So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17

IOW, it is impossible to become saved without the hearing of the true Gospel. And where can we hear the Gospel? By reading the Bible.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most definitely!

So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17

IOW, it is impossible to become saved without the hearing of the true Gospel. And where can we hear the Gospel? By reading the Bible.

To God Be The Glory
What that really says is that we tend to believe anything we hear (or read) enough, so we need to be sure we are hearing (reading) the word of God.

Reactions: Nancy and Enoch111

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose the Bible is all of that...and more.

But I would have to say, the Bible is mostly a revelation, an "image" as it were, of the life and times of every man, women, and child embodied in two men: Adam, a living being in the flesh, and Jesus, who came in the flesh and became a life-giving spirit, the only begotten Son of God.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus came and saved me the Bible was a foreign object. I had no idea that I had been saved. I would not read the Bible or attend any church at all. Only AFTER I had been born again did I discover what had happened to me in it's pages. In Ezekiel chapter 34 God says he will come himself to seek his wandering sheep. After I was indeed born again as a new creation he baptized me in his Holy Spirit. Once again I had no idea what had happened to me. Many such salvations have been wrought by God. The shepherds were chained to the meeting house while God went forth to save miserable men such as I.

I consider this a wonderful thing. I did not have to throw in with any man created denomination and become a religious slave to their traditions and doctrines.

Psalm 115:3 KJVS
But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.

God does whatever he wants I also now read within the pages of that mystical living book. Every time we imagine we know God's order of things he comes and does it another way. Scientists have many theories as to why Venus rotates opposite the others but they don't know. Perhaps God's sense of humor.

Many have been born again by reading the Bible. My friend's alcoholic father always read the Bible even when drunk. One day he was caused to understand what he was reading and became a born again Christian.

Most people come to salvation through the Bible's words. But not all. It takes the Bible to explain what has happened. It's the only book in God's library. Salvation is explained in no other book.

Last edited:

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Half of it is a history book... the remaining part is divided into an Introduction to a Savior of mankind, (a thick black book is not a savior, a man is), and a demonstration of how His followers went through life.

"Jesus spoke in parables and without a parable, He did not speak." A parable is an earthly story with a heavenly/spiritual meaning. This makes the WHOLE Bible a parable.

Jesus could never have been my Savior if He was merely a man because only God can forgive sins.

To God Be The Glory

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What that really says is that we tend to believe anything we hear (or read) enough, so we need to be sure we are hearing (reading) the word of God.

Just as Cornelius and the Jailer of Philippi were saved. They were drawn by God way before they acted!

To God Be The Glory

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I would have to say, the Bible is mostly a revelation, an "image" as it were, of the life and times of every man, women, and child embodied in two men: Adam, a living being in the flesh, and Jesus, who came in the flesh and became a life-giving spirit, the only begotten Son of God.

I agree. The World is one big stage where all who is to be born in the world will play a part.

IOW, it is only a formality, a done deal.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: ScottA

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I beg to differ. Although God Is Sovereign in all things, He still abides by His own rules. He no set rules for Him and another for mankind.

To God Be The Glory

But our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases.
Psalms 115:3 NASB

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the Lord . "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8‭-‬9 NASB

"Behold, God is exalted, and we do not know Him; The number of His years is unsearchable.
Job 36:26 NASB

"The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law.
Deuteronomy 29:29 NASB

Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became his counselor ?
Romans 11:33‭-‬34 NASB

For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.
1 Corinthians 2:11 NASB

He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11 NASB.

Acts 2:38 KJVS
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.
1 John 2:27 NASB

You must receive the gift of the Holy Spirit in order to commune with the Lord.

Acts 1:4-5 KJVS
And, being assembled together with them , commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he , ye have heard of me.
[5] For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

We can only know what God chooses to reveal to us. No man knows nor can know all that God knows for the made pot cannot know the wisdom of the potter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie T

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:38-41
38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.
39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
41 "I do not receive honor from men.
NKJV

Religious man has always used scriptures to establish a formula of requirements to be saved. They just will not believe in the one that paid the price for all the sins of mankind.

Like Cain, they are so busy making up rules and requirements of things they must do and miss going to the one that can save them.

A person is saved when they realize they can not save themselves by what they do. It is then that they will place their faith in what Jesus did for them on the cross.

Taking up the cross is not taking up requirements of things to do but is placing faith and trust in what Jesus has already done for man on the cross.

Of course it is an instruction Book. It is a Book concerning our redemption which is centered on the Person of Jesus Christ. It concerns all aspects of our salvation. (2 Tim. 3:16) "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

Stranger

Reactions: Acolyte

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
k just member no one will ever be judged for their beleifs, and everyone will only ever be judged for their works;
not sure how you fit that into your prog, best of luck there
Little children, do not be deceived; it is those who do...

and of course "doing greater things" is necessarily also out of the equation right
sure, that's prolly why Jesus said so clearly "pick up My cross..." huh HR

ps, if you put me on ignore it will be less painful ok
for now anyway

Last edited:

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is not even our Judge, sorry

You should be sorry for you will have a rude awakening on Judgment Day.

Jesus came to save the sins of His people at His first coming (Matthew 1:21). He will come as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords at His second coming to judge the living (believers) and the dead (unsaved) Romans 14:10-12.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You should be sorry for you will have a rude awakening on Judgment Day.

Jesus came to save the sins of His people at His first coming (Matthew 1:21). He will come as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords at His second coming to judge the living (believers) and the dead (unsaved) Romans 14:10-12.
ok, ty

at least i know who can forgive sins i guess
And where can we hear the Gospel? By reading the Bible.
ok, ty on this too :)

Reactions: Jun2u