Is the Daily Office Biblical?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Galethemo

Dec 4, 2022
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a few questions about the book of common prayer and the "daily office" prayers inside of it.

Matthew 6:7 states that we should not "use vain repetitions", yet the BCP seems to use multiple repetitions, especially in the morning prayers, like during "Suffrage B": "...have mercy upon us, have mercy upon us."

Also, is it right to confess to a priest? I'm not exactly talking about Catholics who do "confession", but in the BCP, when it tells the priest to say, "The Almighty and merciful Lord grant you absolution and remission of all your sins...", is that biblical? Shouldn't we only receive forgiveness from God Himself?

Does Matthew 5:37 imply that we should not take vows, similar to Ecclesiastes 5:5-6? But then again, there is Ecclesiastes 5:4, which doesn't condemn vows, but only tells us to fulfill our vows. Isn't the Apostle's Creed like a vow? Is it in anyway going against God if we say the Apostle's Creed?

This next question doesn't really have to do with the office, but is it right to call specific people "Saint ...". I understand that Christians are "saints" (Romans 1:7), but is it committing idolatry if we call a specific person "Saint [name]", such as Augustine?

Thanks!