1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Holy Spirit to be Worshipped?

Discussion in 'Christian Theology Forum' started by Foreigner, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Foreigner

Foreigner New Member

In a recent discussion about the Holy Spirit, the following points about Him were brought out:

1. He is a person.
    2. He is, like Jesus, a Comforter or Helper (John 14:16)
    3. He is the Spirit of Truth (John 14:17)
    4. He is a teacher.
    5. He brings the teachings of Jesus to our remembrance (John 14:26)
    6. He will guide us into all truth.
    7. He will show us things to come. (John 16:13)

This brought on discussion of his position within the Trinity and that led to this question: Should the Holy Spirit be worshipped as Jesus is, as God is?

Not a trick question. Just want to hear people's opinions and possibly scripture to support them.

Many thanks.

2. Butch5

Butch5 Butch5

We are to worship the Father. The Spirit honors Jesus and Jesus honors the Father.

3. Foreigner

Foreigner New Member

-- Our praise and worship is for Jesus, as well. Not just to the Father.

Is it then appropriate to bless the Holy Spirit?

4. Templar81

Templar81 New Member

From the NICeane Creed

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord the giver of life,
    who preceeds from teh Father and the Son, who with the Father and the son is worshipped and glorified,
    who has spoken through the prophets.

So yes, we do because with the father and the Son the Holy Spirit is also God and is the love between the Father and the Son.

5. kimberly

kimberly New Member

Here's a good commentary on that very thing. (I rate a commentary as "good" when it contains more exegesis from scripture than someone's opinion - even if their opinion is correct. I still think the Word speaks for itself most of the time.)

Here's the link from gotquestions.org: My link

And here's the main excerpt from the link in case anyone doesn't like clicking on links they are unfamiliar with. If you do go to the link, after the commentary is a host of other questions about the Holy Spirit that are answered.

6. Foreigner

Foreigner New Member

Thank you so much for your reply, Kimberly.

You have given me much to chew on.

And I agree with you about providing input via scripture as a main supporting point rather than opinion.

7. kimberly

kimberly New Member

Oh and here's another thought. What are we calling "worship"? My own concepts about worship have changed over the years and I am leaning towards the bulk of worship as being obedience to God. So if we are talking about obedience, then yes, it's clear that we are to worship the Holy Spirit. He is to be obeyed.

Here's a good quote about that by Lou Giglio.

We are to follow the Holy Spirit's leadership.

8. Foreigner

Foreigner New Member

I have also heard it said, "Obedience is worship without words."

9. HammerStone

HammerStone Well-Known Member Staff Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    To me that simple answer is yes. We struggle with the concept of one God being able to handle multiple "forms" (to put a word on it), but both Christ and the Holy Spirit are in our terms at least of God (and I would testify are God). I think the GotQuestions.org reference conveys this well.

A verse like the says God abides in us by his Spirit. God is the only thing, in my book, that can convey God. There are other Scriptures that bear this out, but this one came to mind.

10. Duckybill

Duckybill New Member

Should we worship God? Of course. So then, the question, is the Holy Spirit God?

11. Foreigner

Foreigner New Member

Thank you for your input, Hammerstone.

I definitely see where you are coming from.

12. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member Staff Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    God the Holy Spirit is his own personality in the third person along with God the Father and God the Son. The Holy Spirit cannot forgive sins or work through sinful man unless that mans body is properly prepared for him. So it is the work of Jesus to Baptize in the Holy Ghost. As Jesus paid the price for us he has also paved the way for us to get more of God in the form of the Holy Ghost. The way to both God the Father and God the Holy Spirit is through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: - Matthew 3:11

But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation. - Mark 3:29 (Note the Holy Spirit has not the power to forgive sins)

But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me. - John 15:26

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. -John 16:13-14

So the Holy Spirit like Jesus proceeded from the Father. However the Holy Spirit cannot operate along with God the Father in our life without Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit knows that he did not suffer of die on a cross for us and has no authority to forgive sins. The Holy Spirit will not therefore glorify his own name but the name Of Jesus Christ.

13. Butch5

Butch5 Butch5

Do you have Scripture to support this?

14. aspen

aspen “"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    God alone is worthy of worship - the HS is God. He is worthy of worship.

Matthew 4:10

15. Selene

Selene New Member

The answer is yes. We worship the Holy Spirit because He is God. God is three persons in one. God is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

16. Foreigner

Foreigner New Member

-- Butch, do you really believe that Jesus is not God?

17. Butch5

Butch5 Butch5

I believe Jesus is God, however, I don't believe He is the Father. That is why I asked you if you had any Scripture that suggests that we are to worship anyone other than the Father.

18. Duckybill

Duckybill New Member

Jesus was worshiped several times in the NT. If it was wrong Jesus would have rebuked them.

19. Foreigner

Foreigner New Member

-- If you, as you say, "believe Jesus is God," then Jesus should be worshipped, no?

20. Butch5

Butch5 Butch5

I'm asking where Scripture teaches this. Jesus said, 'Our Father which art in heaven' That is how He told His disciples to pray.