Is The Sermon on the Mount Instructional or Informational?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus spoke to these multitudes using only Jewish terms and concepts, and spoke only about The Mosaic Law and what it really meant.
Today in the Church, we are not Jewish, and are not obligated to obey Mosaic Law.

So, are we still to follow Jesus' instructions in The Sermon on the Mount as He spoke them, or just kind of be aware of them?

Reactions: Mayflower

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I recently looked at the sermon on the mount and come to see that Jesus was talking to the Jewish leaders, and the crowds, the leaders focussed on the external and judged themselves, and others accordingly. Jesus made it clear that He came to show that what was in the heart, internally, was relevant and important. Much of his teaching was about a comparison between his ways and the Jewish leaders ways. He came to give the crowds hope , all the leaders gave them was judgment and condemnation and presumed ‘ they were okay ‘
Hmmm, kind of what a lot of Gods people tend to do........
I don’t believe you can just discard what he said, there is valuable teaching within the sermon.
Rita

Reactions: Mayflower and Jim B

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus spoke to these multitudes using only Jewish terms and concepts, and spoke only about The Mosaic Law and what it really meant.
Today in the Church, we are not Jewish, and are not obligated to obey Mosaic Law.

So, are we still to follow Jesus' instructions in The Sermon on the Mount as He spoke them, or just kind of be aware of them?

What Jesus preached in the Sermon on the Mount, and to His disciples privately were how much deeper the New Covenant laws would be once we were filled with His Spirit. The Old Mosaic laws were shallow enough to be kept with the carnal flesh, and not have to be born again of the Spirit to keep them. What He said to the Pharisees was how badly they were keeping the old laws.

"You have heard it said of old..., BUT I SAY TO YOU...

John 15:10
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

1 John 3:23-24
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Since Jesus is our Lord we follow what he says. Even so, I agree with @Barbara , that Jesus was drawing a contrast between behavior and attitude. We do well to understand why God gave certain laws and in the process learn more about the kind of God we serve.

Suppose, for instance that a father tells his son not to swing the baseball bat in the house. His son asks, "why father?" His father tells him, "swinging the baseball batt in the house might damage property or hurt people."

One day a fire breaks out in the house and the only means of escape is to break a window with the baseball bat. When the father and son meet outside, safe from the fire, the father says "son, I am proud of what you did today." His son asks, "why father? I disobeyed your command against swinging the baseball bat in the house." The father says, "Yes, that is true. But you also learned to value life more than property and didn't hesitate to make that decision."

When we read and study the Sermon on the Mount, we are coming to understand the father better, what he values, and what he loves. And he expects us to learn wisdom and act in ways that emulate his values.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If I am correct and this is your first post... Welcome to the forum!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus, a minister to the circumcision (to you).

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Those are instructions to the disciples of Christ as well as to the nation of Israel. They are now applicable to Christians, who need to know the Ten Commandments as well as their true, higher, and spiritual meaning. In other words, the Law of Christ is more demanding than the Law of Moses (and rightly so).

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually He was talking primarily to His disciples, Matthew 5:1-2.
If you look at the Luke’s Gospel it states that many of his disciples were there and those who desired healing. He looked to his disciples, but the crowds still heard the sermon. Constantly he refers to ‘ you have heard ‘ and then opens up the teaching. Those who proclaimed the message to them would have been the religious leaders. He continuously references comparisons. I do believe he was directly sending a message to the religious leaders through his words as well as speaking to those who were following him.
The OP asks our opinion, I gave mine. I never just take an account from one gospel but tend to look at what it says in the other gospels.
Rita

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God gave the Ten ( actually 613 ) Commandments to show that nobody could keep them....

Many people never “ Got” that....

The Sermon on the Mount was The Ten Commandments On Steroids.....

Jesus was saying essentially—-“ Think you’re “ Fit For Heaven” because you never committed Adultery? Think again— If you ever even harbored a Lustful “ thought”, you are as Guilty as the man who goes through with the Act”

Jesus did not come to Earth to preach some kind of “ moral code” that, if kept, would make you Worthy Of Eternal Life....

Jesus preached HIMSELF!

The Sermon on the Mount was similar to the Law in this manner : It was intended to get you to “ close your mouth “ or in other words — SHUT UP about any pretense that you can “ make yourself Worthy”

Mankind is hopelessly Lost and Depraved— “DEAD in Trespasses and Sin” and only Jesus can fix it—- - Not you or your pitiful attempts to become “ Worthy” by trying and failing to keep the 613 Commandments .You are seriously deluded if you think that you can keep the 613 Commandments ....they were never expected to be kept perfectly ...

By contrast, if you think you can “ Keep” Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount” ......you are insane.Yeah, maybe you think you are “ hot stuff” because you never killed anybody. Wake up , Sinner..... if you ever even “ hated “ somebody you are as guilty as a Murderer in the Eyes Of God ......

Both the Ten Commandments and ESPECIALLY the Sermon on the Mount were given to drive you to your knees and show you that you are a Lost, Hell-Bound Sinner who MUST have a Savior ! That Savior is Jesus Christ.

After Jesus gave His Sermon, He told a little parable......the one about the “ Sinful Publican” .A man who “ knew himself” .....a man who had a Contrite Heart .....he KNEW that he was a Lost Sinner......he ” got” the Point of Jesus’ Sermon .....He proved it when he was “ brought to the end of himself”..... he realized that ALL that he could do was to cry out to God, “ Lord, have mercy on me, a Sinner!”

“ NOBODY comes to God lest the Holy Spirit draw him”....... That Spirit “ Draws” men by convicting them of their Lost Condition—— The Spirit gives a man a “ Contrite Heart” .....Those with “ ears to hear” understand the The Purpose Of The Sermon on the Mount—— it’s to give you a Contrite Heart....No Christian lacks that “ Contrite Heart” That can only be given by the Holy Spirit .....If you do not posses that type Of Heart , you have not even entered the “ Starting Gate” Of Christianity...

Have you got your Contrite Heart yet? .....if not, pray for it......pray for “ Ears to Hear”

Or just do like the Publican did......cry out with a sincere heart—- “ Lord, have mercy on me , a Sinner”. It worked for me. God bless....

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently looked at the sermon on the mount and come to see that Jesus was talking to the Jewish leaders, and the crowds, the leaders focussed on the external and judged themselves, and others accordingly. Jesus made it clear that He came to show that what was in the heart, internally, was relevant and important. Much of his teaching was about a comparison between his ways and the Jewish leaders ways. He came to give the crowds hope , all the leaders gave them was judgment and condemnation and presumed ‘ they were okay ‘
Hmmm, kind of what a lot of Gods people tend to do........
I don’t believe you can just discard what he said, there is valuable teaching within the sermon.
Rita

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus judged the multitudes. He tried to avoid them after they continuously pursued Him for free bread, He judged them to be unable to accept him as The Son of God by instructing His Disciples to not share His identity. In Luke 4 He judged His own home town Nazareth fellow Jews in their Synagogue to their faces by castigating them for things they had not even done or said, enraging them so much they literally tried to kill Him on the spot.

Jesus was not some romantic, soft, nicely accommodating, compromising conveyer of sentiment. He was an embodiment of harsh and Divine Truth who put that Truth squarely into the faces of both individuals and multitudes.

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Jesus preached in the Sermon on the Mount, and to His disciples privately were how much deeper the New Covenant laws would be once we were filled with His Spirit. The Old Mosaic laws were shallow enough to be kept with the carnal flesh, and not have to be born again of the Spirit to keep them. What He said to the Pharisees was how badly they were keeping the old laws.

"You have heard it said of old..., BUT I SAY TO YOU...

John 15:10
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

1 John 3:23-24
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He uhhas given us.
In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus spoke nothing about The Spirit. No Spirit filled Believer follows the things Jesus spoke of doing in that Sermon.

Last edited:

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since Jesus is our Lord we follow what he says. Even so, I agree with @Barbara , that Jesus was drawing a contrast between behavior and attitude. We do well to understand why God gave certain laws and in the process learn more about the kind of God we serve.

Suppose, for instance that a father tells his son not to swing the baseball bat in the house. His son asks, "why father?" His father tells him, "swinging the baseball batt in the house might damage property or hurt people."

One day a fire breaks out in the house and the only means of escape is to break a window with the baseball bat. When the father and son meet outside, safe from the fire, the father says "son, I am proud of what you did today." His son asks, "why father? I disobeyed your command against swinging the baseball bat in the house." The father says, "Yes, that is true. But you also learned to value life more than property and didn't hesitate to make that decision."

When we read and study the Sermon on the Mount, we are coming to understand the father better, what he values, and what he loves. And he expects us to learn wisdom and act in ways that emulate his values.
How do you personally emulate his values?

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How do you know what we do?

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God gave the Ten ( actually 613 ) Commandments to show that nobody could keep them....

Jesus was saying essentially—-“ Think you’re “ Fit For Heaven” because you never committed Adultery? Think again— If you ever even harbored a Lustful “ thought”, you are as Guilty as the man who goes through with the Act”

Jesus did not come to Earth to preach some kind of “ moral code” that, if kept, would make you Worthy Of Eternal Life....

Jesus preached HIMSELF!

The Sermon on the Mount was similar to the Law in this manner : It was intended to get you to “ close your mouth “ or in other words — SHUT UP about any pretense that you can “ make yourself Worthy”

Mankind is hopelessly Lost and Depraved— “DEAD in Trespasses and Sin” and only Jesus can fix it—- - Not you or your pitiful attempts to become “ Worthy” by trying and failing to keep the 613 Commandments .You are seriously deluded if you think that you can keep the 613 Commandments ....they were never expected to be kept perfectly ...

By contrast, if you think you can “ Keep” Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount” ......you are insane.Yeah, maybe you think you are “ hot stuff” because you never killed anybody. Wake up , Sinner..... if you ever even “ hated “ somebody you are as guilty as a Murderer in the Eyes Of God ......

Both the Ten Commandments and ESPECIALLY the Sermon on the Mount were given to drive you to your knees and show you that you are a Lost, Hell-Bound Sinner who MUST have a Savior ! That Savior is Jesus Christ.

After Jesus gave His Sermon, He told a little parable......the one about the “ Sinful Publican” .A man who “ knew himself” .....a man who had a Contrite Heart .....he KNEW that he was a Lost Sinner......he ” got” the Point of Jesus’ Sermon .....He proved it when he was “ brought to the end of himself”..... he realized that ALL that he could do was to cry out to God, “ Lord, have mercy on me, a Sinner!”

“ NOBODY comes to God lest the Holy Spirit draw him”....... That Spirit “ Draws” men by convicting them of their Lost Condition—— The Spirit gives a man a “ Contrite Heart” .....Those with “ ears to hear” understand the The Purpose Of The Sermon on the Mount—— it’s to give you a Contrite Heart....No Christian lacks that “ Contrite Heart” That can only be given by the Holy Spirit .....If you do not posses that type Of Heart , you have not even entered the “ Starting Gate” Of Christianity...

Have you got your Contrite Heart yet? .....if not, pray for it......pray for “ Ears to Hear”

Or just do like the Publican did......cry out with a sincere heart—- “ Lord, have mercy on me , a Sinner”. It worked for me. God bless....
What happens in a Christian after he has been driven to his knees with a contrite heart? Anything but sentiment and feelings?

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By contrast, if you think you can “ Keep” Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount” ......you are insane.Yeah, maybe you think you are “ hot stuff” because you never killed anybody. Wake up , Sinner..... if you ever even “ hated “ somebody you are as guilty as a Murderer in the Eyes Of God .....
Amen!

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus preached HIMSELF!

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus preached HIMSELF!