Is The Shroud Real?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I was going to make this a poll,
but there's really no way to be absolutely sure.

I never gave much credence to the Shroud, but have been
interested, as maybe some may be.

After watching a talk on YouTube, I think I've become a believer...
of the Shroud, I mean.

I'll post the link but it's over an hour long.
It's different and very interesting.

Any comments?
Does anyone here believe it's real?
Is anyone here certain it's not?

Reactions: Episkopos

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is a clever fake for one simple reason. The bible talks about multiple grave cloths, not one.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was convinced it was real until I watched a documentary where they reproduced something similar using methods that would have been available at the time. They also did carbon dating. But if it isn't real it's very clever.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was going to make this a poll,
but there's really no way to be absolutely sure.

I never gave much credence to the Shroud, but have been
interested, as maybe some may be.

After watching a talk on YouTube, I think I've become a believer...
of the Shroud, I mean.

I'll post the link but it's over an hour long.
It's different and very interesting.

Any comments?
Does anyone here believe it's real?
Is anyone here certain it's not?

I tend to think so. It would be amazing if it was. Have you seen the pictures that render what the man on the shroud would have looked like...all the way down to a boy? They have this forensic capability now to age or reverse age a picture.

The shroud works with the facecloth (the suderium of Oviedo) that is also very old...with pollen from Palestine.

Fascinating!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I tend to think so. It would be amazing if it was. Have you seen the pictures that render what the man on the shroud would have looked like...all the way down to a boy? They have this forensic capability now to age or reverse age a picture.

The shroud works with the facecloth (the suderium of Oviedo) that is also very old...with pollen from Palestine.

Fascinating!
I hope you watch the video some day.
It also teaches a lot about icons, spiritual art, etc.
It really made me sit up and take notice.
The way it was explained made me understand that it could not be duplicated.

Reactions: Episkopos

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I was convinced it was real until I watched a documentary where they reproduced something similar using methods that would have been available at the time. They also did carbon dating. But if it isn't real it's very clever.
It cannot be reproduced.
The carbon dating was taken from a piece of the shroud that had been repaired in about 1200 or 1300 because it had been in a fire.

There's no way to duplicate this cloth.
And the image is only on the very top layer of cloth.
This is impossible with paint or any known substance.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It cannot be reproduced.
The carbon dating was taken from a piece of the shroud that had been repaired in about 1200 or 1300 because it had been in a fire.

There's no way to duplicate this cloth.
And the image is only on the very top layer of cloth.
This is impossible with paint or any known substance.
it showed it being done with very basic primitive pin hole photography. That's why it's only on the outer layer of cloth - apparently.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I hope you watch the video some day.
It also teaches a lot about icons, spiritual art, etc.
It really made me sit up and take notice.
The way it was explained made me understand that it could not be duplicated.

I have seen every video out there I think. There is this one video that showed forensic scientists that explained that for the image to have no press marks from the weight of the body means that the body was levitating slightly above the surface when the image was created. The image of God? They likened it to a miniature big bang. A supernatural resurrection light? The beginning of a new kind of life for all mankind. And we know that this new life is real.

A mystery surrounded in an enigma. :)

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
it showed it being done with very basic primitive pin hole photography.
I don't know what you mean by this.
The first time it was photographed (forget the date) the pix came out as a positive...which means the cloth is a negative...

Some have doubted this and attributed the shroud to be a forgery because negatives place everything in a pix on the opposite side.

But listen to this:

Another argument by the proponents of the photographic negative theory might be that the forger anticipated the futuristic thinking that the Shroud image was caused by a "fall through" effect as described in Dr. John Jackson's hypothesis of the image's creation. Thus, they could argue that the forger purposely placed the blood wound on the image's left side to represent a right-sided mirror image wound. Any medieval forger with this much insight and audacity regarding a still-unexplainable phenomenon would have done better to market himself as a prophet rather than a one-time photographic sensation.

source: Negativity and the Shroud

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The documentary I watched showed how the shroud could have been faked using very basic primitive pin hole photography. Using the sun to 'burn' an image onto a piece of cloth. In this way as opposed to painting the image on the cloth, only the top layer of fabric would be coloured. It is very impressive but my faith or my belief doesn't depend on it being real.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It could.
But there doesn't seem to be any other explanation.
I'm much more convinced lately...not that I feel it helps to believe.
Seems like nothing does...except faith.
See if you can Google the documentary I mentioned where they showed it could have been done by using a primitive form of photography. I will see if I can find it for you.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The documentary I watched showed how the shroud could have been faked using very basic primitive pin hole photography. Using the sun to 'burn' an image onto a piece of cloth. In this way as opposed to painting the image on the cloth, only the top layer of fabric would be coloured. It is very impressive but my faith or my belief doesn't depend on it being real.
Agreed.
No ones faith should depend on this...
It should depend on the resurrection and the teaching of the Apostles.

It is interesting however.
I've never paid too much attention to it...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed.
No ones faith should depend on this...
It should depend on the resurrection and the teaching of the Apostles.

It is interesting however.
I've never paid too much attention to it...
When I first heard about it I was fascinated and read the book and have watched everything that's been on TV about it.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But there doesn't seem to be any other explanation.
There is not a single reference to the shroud, or any of the grave clothes of Christ after what is said about the empty tomb. For all we know, those two angels who appeared at the tomb might have removed everything from the sepulchre of Joseph of Arimathaea and destroyed it.

On the other hand the Catholic Church specialized in relics and their superstitious usage from a very early period. And that is exactly what the shroud is.

Reactions: Pearl