Is the Third Temple Physical or Spiritual?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the 3rd Temple Spiritual or Physical

• Spiritual

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Physical

• Both

• Total voters

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So is the Third Temple in Israel spiritual or physical?

Some say there is already a physical 3rd temple being built, but is this the one the book of Ezekiel was talking about..?

Why would the 3rd temple in Ezekiel be physical? When the days of animal sacrifices are over? And if the Jews are going to come to Jesus in the last days, then there is no need for them to do animal sacrifices after they have turned to Jesus.

I believe there is a possibility that the 3rd temple could well be spiritual and symbolic instead of being a physical one. I believe there has even been interpretations where the 3rd temple was a symbolism of Jesus, I would have to find that book about Ezekiel though, to be sure.

In Ezekiel chapter 47:12 we read about this

Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear fruit, because the water from the sanctuary flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing."

Could the waters flowing from the temple be the Living Water, and could the Trees on the banks be Christians?

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It will be literal; 2 Thess 2:4 and Revelation 11:1 prove it. Also many OT prophesies.
Jesus will Return to it and reign from the new Temple.

But why is there the need for literal animal sacrifices in third temple when Jesus has already died on the cross as the ultimate sacrifice? That's what makes me think that Ezekiel 40-48 is more Spiritual and Symbolic than a physical temple.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
But why is there the need for literal animal sacrifices in third temple when Jesus has already died on the cross as the ultimate sacrifice? That's what makes me think that Ezekiel 40-48 is more Spiritual and Symbolic than a physical temple.
Ask God. We don't know the Mind of God; He wanted offerings and sacrifices before and many prophesies say He will want them again. Isaiah 56:1-8, Ezekiel 20:40-41, and in Daniel 9:27 it prophesies that the Anti-Christ will stop the offerings in the Temple. Obviously the offerings will be made again, for him to stop them!

Ezekiel 40-48 is a literal description of what will happen when all of the Lord's faithful Christian peoples are living in all of the holy Land. This will happen soon after the Lord has cleared and cleansed all that area. On His terrible Day of fiery wrath, the Sixth Seal event. Zephaniah 1:1-18, 2 Peter 3:7

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello @Josho

Remember Jesus words in this portion of Luke: -

Luke 14:25-35: - 25 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters — yes, even his own life — he cannot be my disciple. 27 And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

28 "Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? 29 For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, 30 saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'

31 "Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

34 "Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35 It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out.

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear."
NIV
This passage from Luke describes 4 things,

1. The crowds around Jesus were wanting to know what they must do to become disciples of Christ. (V. 25-27)
  2. Jesus tells them that at some time in the future, they will attempt to build a temple, because the second temple at that time no longer exists) in an attempt for them to connect with God and that they will not have the means to complete the rebuilding of the temple and that they will look foolish in the eyes of all of the nations of the earth.
  3. In the this parable, Jesus is referring to a battle going on near Jerusalem at Armageddon, and Israel's response options to the king who is coming towards them in battle array. After consideration of their fighting ability they decide that it is better to consider what this King's terms of peace might be with them and surrender their all so that they can live peacefully with the king being over them.
  4. Verses 34-35 talks about the effectiveness of a disciple who has lost his saltiness and what should be done with that person/nation.
Again in Luke 19 Jesus tells another parable about the state of Israel. This parable initially tells us that the people of Israel are the servants of Satan and that when Satan goes away for a long period of time, that the Israelites seek a means of no longer having Satan as their king over them by sending a delegation after Satan has left to heaven?? asking if it is possible to have another king in Satan's place. However, when Satan returns claiming that he is now king over the whole earth he asks in verse 27 to "bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me." This is confirmed in Rev 12 when Satan is able to walk once more on the face of the earth that he goes out initially to kill off the Nation of Israel and then after that the other Saints of God. Satan return to the face of the earth is around 24 years before the finishing of the harvest when the wheat will be taken in to the "barns."

From the above verses and passages of Luke we learn, that in seeking to return to God, the nation of Israel will attempt to rebuild the temple for the third time, but that they will be stopped by the nations of the earth coming up against them, who when they are gathered together in the valley below Jerusalem at the place called Armageddon being judged for their 2,300 years of trampling God's Sanctuary and his Earthly Hosts, Israel will seek God's terms of peace, after which, upon their acceptance of those terms, all of Israel will be saved. This will occur in around 20-25 years time around the timing of the end of this present age.

Now you have made reference to the Ezekiel 47:1-12 passage which tells the journey of the growth of God's saints through 4,000 years of the history of mankind. Ezekiel as he was walking along the flowing stream was keeping up with the flooding wall of water as it passed down the stream/river towards the escarpment where it will cascade down into the "swamp" lands below and bring healing to that land. The starting point to this prophecy is when God entered and filled Solomon's temple at its dedication around the time of the 26? year of Solomon's reign around the years 930 BC.

It was as Ezekiel began to walk back in time towards the beginning of this prophecy, that he was able to observe the trees on the banks of the river that was feeding and bring healing to the people that made up the flowing river in time where Ezekiel was observing/seeing the river.

Josho, the Saints of God are the Living waters of God's earthly Kingdom that are flowing in time towards the finishing point for end of mankind as we presently know it. After that time, when we are raised up to be with Christ at the final judgement time, we will have been changed in the twinkling of an eye to either enter in to receive our inheritance of the whole earth, or to be consumed by the Lake of Fire.

The third Temple is the temple built so that the peoples of the earth, when they rebel against Christ and God, after Satan and the beasts and the kings of the earth described as scorpions, in the Book of Revelation, all rise up out of the Bottomless Pit after it is unlocked, so that they can initially worship the Beast and then Satan after the passing of the first three and a half years when the beast, the false Prophet and Satan finally sweep into Jerusalem.

Yes, this third temple will have the grandeur of the previous temples in Jerusalem, but it will not have the same grandeur as the Temple that is to come down from Heaven while the earth is being refurbished/renewed after the time of the final judgement of mankind.

Shalom

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe the third temple is an inner temple.
I believe that building a physical temple and resuming the daily sacrifice is an affront to the Spirit of Truth.
The original temple was a foreshadowing of the daily cross, the new covenant, which was put into effect with the shedding of the blood of the Lamb, God's perfect sacrifice for His people's sin.

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some interesting differing replies so far....

@Heart2Soul I remember you mentioned the red heifer and I think @FluffyYellowDuck also mentioned it somewhere.

I know H2S you believe the 3rd temple is physical and I think Fluffy does as well, but what do you think about the sacrifices? Would you agree with Keraz's interpretation about going back to animal sacrifices? Or would you agree with Jay Ross's interpretation? Or perhaps you might have another differing view?

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if the Jews today build a temple with the same type of OT setup it will be destroyed again.
It was an abomination when they kept doing it the same way after rejecting the Messiah. They did not except his sacrifice.

I lean toward Ezek. Temple as being a hope for the captive Jews at the time when it was written.
And they didn't built it to the plans anyway when the went back, they had their troubles.

Temple worship would be idolatry now days.
Are we not to worship God in spirit ? Was that the message at the well ? John 4:21-24

Reactions: Heart2Soul

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So is the Third Temple in Israel spiritual or physical?

Some say there is already a physical 3rd temple being built, but is this the one the book of Ezekiel was talking about..?

Why would the 3rd temple in Ezekiel be physical? When the days of animal sacrifices are over? And if the Jews are going to come to Jesus in the last days, then there is no need for them to do animal sacrifices after they have turned to Jesus.

I believe there is a possibility that the 3rd temple could well be spiritual and symbolic instead of being a physical one. I believe there has even been interpretations where the 3rd temple was a symbolism of Jesus, I would have to find that book about Ezekiel though, to be sure.

In Ezekiel chapter 47:12 we read about this

Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear fruit, because the water from the sanctuary flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing."

Could the waters flowing from the temple be the Living Water, and could the Trees on the banks be Christians?

What do you think @Josho
Can’t explain the turmoil of trying always to find agreement from others. Of being swayed this way and that way but at the end of the day...what does the word say to you? I’m with you on this one but if it is also a physical temple I wouldn’t be disappointed. Yet, the focus being so tunnel visioned on a physical temple; asserting it has to be so pushes back against any opportunity of what you’ve suggested. The fruits of the tree that are for the healing of the nations can not possibly be the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, [23] Meekness, temperance:...where one eats and drinks of and Will never thirst again filled with the fruit of righteousness by and through Christ.

again, wouldn’t be disappointed if it is a physical temple but should it first not be a total rejection of the spiritual temple? Where all of it is spit on as ...whatever that can’t be the Fruits but “another fruit is for healing” give us that fruit instead, something better for the healing of the nations. what of whatever is not planted of the Lord is plucked up? John 15:1-5

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

@Heart2Soul I remember you mentioned the red heifer and I think @FluffyYellowDuck also mentioned it somewhere.

I know H2S you believe the 3rd temple is physical and I think Fluffy does as well, but what do you think about the sacrifices? Would you agree with Keraz's interpretation about going back to animal sacrifices? Or would you agree with Jay Ross's interpretation? Or perhaps you might have another differing view?
They are already practicing it to get ready for when the temple is finished.
I believe born again believers are the temple of the Holy Spirit...
I also believe the Jews who have rejected Christianity are building a 3rd temple to prepare for the coming of the Messiah.
See the difference?

Reactions: Josho

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yep! The heifer was born all red but grew a white spot so it wasn't her.

I know that they've been trying to build the third temple for a while, but there has been some ongoing disagreement about who owns the land. So right now it's kind of an ongoing battle. It also has to do the al-Aqsa Mosque and "Dome of the Rock," which is an Islamic shrine, and they say that's supposed to be where Mohammad ascended into heaven... so in order for them to rebuild that they would have to remove it and that could potentially cause a war.

I think Greg Laurie has a film that talks about it and The Naked Archeologist also has an episode about it. The Naked Archeologist is not like it sounds at all, just to be clear. It's just Biblical/Jewish archeology.

I've considered the third temple to be physical, or even Jesus, but the antichrist has to reside in it and that's supposed to be the thing that makes everyone go "Oh alright, so that's who it was then."

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep! The heifer was born all red but grew a white spot so it wasn't her.

I know that they've been trying to build the third temple for a while, but there has been some ongoing disagreement about who owns the land.

Imagine that “disagreement about who owns the land”. my question is will man be able to finish their temple first or Will God finish building up His (habitation) first?

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imagine that “disagreement about who owns the land”. my question is will man be able to finish their temple first or Will God finish building up His (habitation) first?

Nothing can or will happen without God's blessing. Any other time that they've tried to build it things went wrong. You look here on Wikipedia and scroll down to "Attempts at Rebuilding" (It's first in the contents) and you'll see all of the times that God just clearly said "nu-uh."

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing can or will happen without God's blessing. Any other time that they've tried to build it things went wrong. You look here on Wikipedia and scroll down to "Attempts at Rebuilding" (It's first in the contents) and you'll see all of the times that God just clearly said "nu-uh."

realize we disagree so won’t argue over it. Which Temple will be crowned and named “victorious” as the final (completed and restored whole) habitation of God remains to be seen.

Reactions: WaterSong

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
realize we disagree so won’t argue over it. Which Temple will be crowned and named “victorious” as the final (completed and restored whole) habitation of God remains to be seen.
I'm willing to bet @WaterSong would have some good points on this, actually.
Oh, how very optimistic you are. ;) :p
Off the top of my head with the word temple there, and remembering the scripture that says we are temples of God containing his holy spirit, 1 Corinthians 3:16, and the personal pronoun that appears in that above quoted passage taken from Revelation 3, wouldn't the temple spoken of as victorious be those who are the faith filled/faith-full , unto the end?

Revelation 3 NIV,MOUNCE - To the Church in Sardis - “To the - Bible Gateway

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, I couldn't figure it out and I was trying to remember where that prophecy even came from. Looks like Jeremiah 33, Amos 9:11, Isaiah 2:2-4 seem to be where it comes from. I know some of the archeology and the events going on around the third temple, but I just realized I don't think I actually read the prophecy in the Bible myself. I don't think so. So I'm looking at these "go to" verses.

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 seems to be where Paul started talking about the antichrist taking up a spot in God's temple but later in that chapter says he has already come. I think that was spiritual.

I can't actually find anything personally that says this is true Biblical prophecy. At least not right now, so I think in the meantime unless I dig a little further, that I'm going to change positions and consider that it's probably just a Jewish prophecy.

I am open to correction.

Please just ELI5 and don't make it too long ... I'm a lil ADHD and I am everywhere at once.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Ezekiel's temple:
The prophecies of the prophets of Israel can be divided into three sections. They are;

1. Israel - you are being naughty. Mend your ways

2. Israel - I know you will not mend your ways so disgrace, dispersion and discipline will be your portion

3. Israel - God loves you and will restore you for both His love's sake and because of His Promises to the Fathers

But Ezekiel goes further than this. Ezekiel touches that part of God's heart that is very important. That is, His House and the Testimony it brought Him among the nations. Israel had been exceedingly evil and had behaved worse than the heathen nations around them. Even the heathen never swapped their gods, but Israel has swapped the Living and True God for demon-idols. Israel, as per the threats of the Contract of Sinai, was about to be invaded by Nebuchadnezzar, have their City and Temple destroyed, be slaughtered and be carried off to Babylon to serve foreign kings. One thing remained to be done before Nebuchadnezzar entered Jerusalem and defiled and destroyed it. That was, God was to withdraw from the Temple in which He dwelt. This was for two reasons. God's holiness could not tolerate the heathen entering into the same place as He, and if they did, Nebuchadnezzar would have been slain like Uzzah in 2nd Samuel 6. God needed Nebuchadnezzar for further things concerning His glory, so before the Babylonian army could enter Jerusalem, God withdrew His glory from the Temple - His House. This utterly sad event takes up the first few Chapters.

This is a low point for such a great God. From this moment on, with His House and Testimony gone from earth, God is called, throughout the Book of Daniel, which encompasses the time in Babylon, the "God of heaven", but never the "God of earth". His House and Presence WERE GONE. This solemn matter is dealt with by Ezekiel. Ezekiel is divided roughly into FOUR sections;

1. The withdrawal of God and His glory from Solomon's Temple - His House

2. The accusations against Israel that brought about this tragic move

3. The Promises of Israel's future restoration

4. The Promise of a return to a greater glory for the House of God predicted in the latter Chapters

Chapters 37 to 39 give detailed prophecies of Israel's restoration and end with Armageddon at the end of Chapter 39. Then the visions make an abrupt change. They now concern them selves with God's New House. Immediately the Christian will OBJECT. Is not the Church the House of God? And does God live in a House made with hands? The answer is that God's original intention was that man would eat of the Tree of Life and become the HOUSE of God. And since God is a Spirit, He would dwell in the sanctity of the spirit of man. This He finally achieves in the Church. But ... in the process of recovering man, God did TWO things;

1. He dwelt WITH them to have His presence on earth, and for this a House of a special construction was needed

2. He caused the Second Person of the God-head to become a Man, and this Man, Jesus, was physical and needed a physical Dwelling

During His first sojourn on earth, this God-Man Jesus had nowhere to dwell (Matt.8:20; Lk.9:28). His rightful place as God would have been the Temple in Jerusalem, but He is driven from there under threat of death by the rulers of Israel. But at the end of the age, this God-Man will become the ordained, accepted and anointed King of the whole earth by military defeat of His enemies. The question is then, "WHERE WILL HE LIVE PHYSICALLY, AND OF WHAT TYPE WILL HIS HOUSE BE?

Ezekiel answers this. The House in which Emmanuel (God with us) will live must fulfill a number of qualifications.

· It must be in Jerusalem

· It must be a Palace fit for the greatest King ever to live

· It must be a House that reflects the accomplishments of this great King

· It must be a House that allows the correct service to such an Holy One

· It must be a House that everyone of every nation can come up to to pray, worship and have audience with Emmanuel

Now, Jesus, having set aside His high position in heaven, and having come to earth to serve His Father and serve men, took a very low and humble position. He was devoid of money and dwelling. He was ministered to by women. He was threatened, rejected, reviled, beaten, spat upon, insulted and finally murdered among criminals, naked. This was all done to achieve what His Father needed done to satisfy His righteousness and extend mercy to depraved mankind. So when God sends His Son the second time as military Commander to retake Government of this earth, in His righteousness and justice HE MUST VINDICATE HIS SON IN PROPORTION TO WHAT HE LOST THE FIRST TIME. And part of this vindication is;

· His personal glory. It is so strong that it can dethrone and cast away the Beast who was the most powerful man on earth (2nd Thess.2:8)

· His House. The House that the Man Jesus will live in must reflect Who He is and what He has done

· That men must bow to Him in worship IN HIS PRESENCE AND OUT OF IT (Phil.2:10)

And this last point necessitates that men who enter His physical presence, like Aaron and all following High Priests did all those years, (i) have their sins put away, and (ii) be cleansed from the defiled flesh. Aaron and his line of High Priests had the Altar and the Laver in the OUTER COURT on and in the which they had to fulfill sacrifice and washing. One for sins and one for uncleanness. The Christian is no different EXCEPT that BECAUSE HE BELIEVES IN THE PERSON AND WORK OF CHRIST, he has BOTH done for Him by Jesus. But the nation of Israel and the nations REFUSED CHRIST. Fortunately, their sin and sins are put away by Christ BUT THEY WERE NEVER WASHED BY CHRIST. Our example of Judas is unequivocal. Judas lived side by side with Jesus for 3½ years and yet did not believe in Him. So when our Lord Jesus washed the disciples in John 13, Judas remained UNCLEAN. That is, UNBELIEVERS ARE UNCLEAN, even if their sins are put away. And if UNCLEAN, THEN THEY NEED TO BE CLEANSED BEFORE AUDIENCE WITH THE GREAT AND HOLY GOD-MAN JESUS IN JERUSALEM EVERY YEAR. Zechariah 14:16-21

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's think about it: If in a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem OT ceremonies would resume practice and OT sacrifices would resume being offered - ceremonies and sacrifices which pointed to One True Lamb of God Jesus Christ The Messiah - would not these ceremonies and sacrifices in the sight of God be an official, national, collective, blasphemous denial of Jesus as Messiah by the very people to whom He sent the Messiah 2,000 years ago? Absolutely.

So, would God ever inspire Paul to call such a blasphemous temple "the temple of God" in 2 Thessalonians chapter 2? Have we not learned anything from the OT? God removed His presence from the OT temple when Israel committed apostasy, yet somehow everyone thinks our "same yesterday, today, and forever" God is now going to be cool with that.

No way. The "temple of God" has nothing to do with a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem - it has to do with what we all know the NT writers continually referred to as "the temple of God" - THE CHURCH.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There will be a new Temple in Jerusalem during the end times and thru the Millennium.

When the Lord’s righteous people go to live in all of the Holy Land, soon after it is cleared and cleansed by the Lord’s Day of fiery wrath, Ezekiel 34:11-31, they will build a new Temple in Jerusalem, according to the details given in Ezekiel 40-46

Many Old Testament prophesies attest to this, how it will be built by men from far away, Zechariah 6:15, and it will be greater than the former ones. Haggai 2:9

The New Testament too, makes it clear there will be a Temple, 2 Thess. 2:4, Rev. 11:1-2, that will exist until the end of the Millennium, when God Himself will be the Temple. Revelation 21:22

We are told that during this age of Church dispensation, Christ is our high priest and we are the spiritual Temple, 2 Cor. 6:16 and no sacrifices are required. Hosea 9:4

Hebrews 9 & 10:1-21 are the scriptures that clearly tell us that Jesus made the once and forever sacrifice for the expiation of our sins. Now there is no Temple and Christians are His ‘body’ on earth. This is just for the time from the early church until the new Temple is built, when there will again be offerings and thanksgiving gifts made by the Lord’s holy people. Isaiah 56:1-8, Daniel 12:1, Revelation 7:9-14

Daniel 7:25 and Daniel 9:26-27 tells us how, in the last days, an invading leader will make a peace treaty with the holy people, but will break it and put a stop to the sacrifices and offerings. Obviously there will be sacrifices and offerings taking place, for him to stop them.
This is confirmed by the prophesies detailing how it will be during the period the righteous people of God will be living the Land before the Return of Jesus:

Psalm 51:18-19 Now Lord, show Your favour to Zion and rebuild Jerusalem. Then You will delight in the appointed sacrifices, young bulls will be offered in Your altar.

Jeremiah 17:24-26 Now, if you obey the Lord’s Commandments, then a ruler will again occupy David’s throne and Jerusalem will be inhabited forever. Then people will come bringing whole offerings, sacrifices as thank offerings to the Lord’s House.

Jeremiah 33:14-18 The days are coming when I shall bless Judah and Israel…….there will always be a Levitical Priest to burn the grain and other offerings every day.

Ezekiel 45:13-25 The details of and the dates for making all the sacrifices and offerings on the Altar of the Temple.

Zechariah 14:21…all who come to make sacrifice will use the holy pots in Jerusalem to boil the flesh of the sacrifice……

Isaiah 60:6-7 Livestock in droves will be in the Land to serve your needs, as acceptable offerings on My Altar and I will adorn My glorious Temple.

The context of these scriptures proves that all this will be for the last days’ period before the Return of Jesus. What will happen during the Millennium isn’t told to us, although there will be priest’s then. Revelation 20:6
But we know there will be no Temple in Eternity. Revelation 21:22