IS THERE ONE TRUE CHRISTIAN DENOMINATION?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Christianity is the one true religion. That may sound awfully dogmatic and narrow-minded, but the simple truth is that Christianity is the only true religion. Jesus said that He alone was the way to the Father (John 14:6), that He alone revealed the Father (Matt. 11:27; Luke 10:22).

Why do we have so many Christian denominations?
One reason for the existence of so many denominations is disparity in personality, passions, and talents. Consider individuals for a moment. Some people connect with God best through the exercise of their minds or while in nature. Others experience spirituality through creative or artistic expression.

What are the religious denominations in the US?
Explore religious groups in the U.S. by tradition, family and denomination Christian 70.6% Evangelical Protestant 25.4% Baptist Family (Evangelical Trad.) 9.2% Southern Baptist Convention 5.3% Mainline Protestant 14.7% Baptist Family (Mainline Trad.) 2.1% American Baptist Churches USA 1.5%

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way I see it, there are many denomination. But in reality only three main groups.

1. Licentious. - Believe that we can say a sinners prayer and we have eternal life no matter what. No focus on christian growth or christian living.

2. Grace - Believe in salvation by Grace alone through Grace. Focus is on christian growth, The word, Discipleship. Evangelism, and Body life.

3. Legalism. - Belief that salvation must be maintained by works, Salvation can actually be lost. - Focus is on works. Very judgmental. Tend to focus on a few sins, and excuse the rest. Can look like a real church. may only be able to be seen by asking them questions.

Most churches I have seen fall under the last two categories. I have yet to see one which falls under the first. But I am sure there are some out there. It was a major issue in NT times, Both James and Jude judged them as having dead faith, who's condemnation was foreordained, hence no salvation.

Most denominations I have seen the differences are not so much doctrinal. But in how they do things. I grew up a Baptist. Being in the military I travelled alot. So have been to many different types (southern, GARBC, Independent and fundamental) and really from the outside. You could hardly tell a difference. They all had the same kind of service. they all spoke the same words. The differences I saw was in whatever pastor was teachingn would have their own way. I have been to both catholic and lutheran churches, and to be honest, with the exception of the kneeling in the catholic churches and the way they pass out the Eucharist. I saw no real difference. I have been to a few other churches and they had their own way of doing things.

Yet one thing is common. The gospel We can have many denominations all these prety much the same gospel Hence they are different prety much in name only.

Anyway My 2 Cents for what it matters

Reactions: tsr

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@tsr

There is only One God, but then there are selfish people. The selfish people go their own ways and mix those ways up with God's Way. When all of the selfishness is gone from believers, [should it ever happen] so will all of the separate ways of the separate denominations be gone.

Jesus was, on the other hand, selfless.. laying down his own life on our behalf because that was the Father's will. How many believers are really asking God to help them follow the example of Jesus precisely? How many remain with at least one foot to firmly anchored in the worlds of men?

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded." James 4:8

So where is that one true Christian denomination?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why do we have so many Christian denominations?
Well the answer is to be found in the Parable of the Tares and the Wheat. Divisions within churches go back to apostolic times, and apostasy within churches goes back to the same period. That is because the Enemy sows tares among the wheat.

Christians should simply ignore all the denominations, and focus on being in fellowship with a Bible-believing and Gospel-preaching church which follows the New Testament pattern.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Christianity" is a filthy mess, to be kind. But God is going to clean it up. Blood is going to flow!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way I see it, there are many denomination. But in reality only three main groups.

1. Licentious. - Believe that we can say a sinners prayer and we have eternal life no matter what. No focus on christian growth or christian living.

2. Grace - Believe in salvation by Grace alone through Grace. Focus is on christian growth, The word, Discipleship. Evangelism, and Body life.

3. Legalism. - Belief that salvation must be maintained by works, Salvation can actually be lost. - Focus is on works. Very judgmental. Tend to focus on a few sins, and excuse the rest. Can look like a real church. may only be able to be seen by asking them questions.

Most churches I have seen fall under the last two categories. I have yet to see one which falls under the first. But I am sure there are some out there. It was a major issue in NT times, Both James and Jude judged them as having dead faith, who's condemnation was foreordained, hence no salvation.

Most denominations I have seen the differences are not so much doctrinal. But in how they do things. I grew up a Baptist. Being in the military I travelled alot. So have been to many different types (southern, GARBC, Independent and fundamental) and really from the outside. You could hardly tell a difference. They all had the same kind of service. they all spoke the same words. The differences I saw was in whatever pastor was teachingn would have their own way. I have been to both catholic and lutheran churches, and to be honest, with the exception of the kneeling in the catholic churches and the way they pass out the Eucharist. I saw no real difference. I have been to a few other churches and they had their own way of doing things.

Yet one thing is common. The gospel We can have many denominations all these prety much the same gospel Hence they are different prety much in name only.

I could to point you to many churches that are of group ONE . They support gay marriage , they support abortion
they support transgender , they support this or that and they claim the grace to do so . They are the majority .
The number two church , that is by far the smallest . But its where the lambs do gather

Reactions: BobVance

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the answer is to be found in the Parable of the Tares and the Wheat. Divisions within churches go back to apostolic times, and apostasy within churches goes back to the same period. That is because the Enemy sows tares among the wheat.

Christians should simply ignore all the denominations, and focus on being in fellowship with a Bible-believing and Gospel-preaching church which follows the New Testament pattern.
Its real simply really . Bible believing , gospel preaching , loving every word JESUS ever said . Just loving the truth .
This entails keeping His pattern for all things as well . As correction and all things . its the only way to keep a church safe and healthy .

Reactions: BobVance

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could to point you to many churches that are of group ONE . They support gay marriage , they support abortion
they support transgender , they support this or that and they claim the grace to do so . They are the majority .
The number two church , that is by far the smallest . But its where the lambs do gather
Majority? I know of maybe one aspect of one denomination that allows this. I would not call them the majority, sadly I think number three is the majority,

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You seem to have a bit of a contradiction going concerning your comment on churches that believe works play a part of Christianity, and that James condemned them as having a dead faith - given that James says faith without works is what is dead, and says that Abraham was justified by works, as are all men.

BTW if you want to see the equivalent of a sinners prayer, read Romans 10:8-13 where Paul says, here is what we apostles teach on how to be saved.

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend, have ignored them all for 30 years, "studying" God's Word Of Truth,
Rightly Divided.
There are very few of these "church groups," most of us either
"stranded," or in small Bible study groups at home.

Does your "New Testament pattern" include The Following:

God's ALL-Sufficient BLOOD!
God's Approval/TWO Gospels In Prophecy vs Mystery
"Distinctions" of Prophecy vs MYSTERY
Only ONE of: 13 Bible baptisms

Be Blessed!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let's address this question, where two items are totally in line with the New Testament, but the other two items are not (unless I am misunderstanding your terminology).

1. The shed blood of Christ -- the Lamb of God -- is eternally all sufficient for the remission of sins and for the cleansing of sinners and saints. Christ (who is God) has purchased the Church with His own blood.

2. There is only ONE GOSPEL but it has many different designations.

3. Prophecy (as applied to foretelling) pertains events which will develop (or may have developed in the past). Many prophecies were fulfilled by, and in, Christ. But many remain to be fulfilled until the establishment of the New Heavens and the New Earth.

3. The term mystery as used by Paul applies to truths regarding the Church which were hidden from the OT prophets, but were revealed to Paul. The Church is redeemed Jews and Gentiles within one Body, the Body of Christ.

4. Christians must recognize the existence of TWO BAPTISMS
simultaneously: (1) the baptism WITH the Holy Spirit (which is in fact the gift of the Holy Spirit) and (2) water baptism by immersion which is Christian baptism in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's address this question, where two items are totally in line with the New Testament, but the other two items are not (unless I am misunderstanding your terminology).

1. The shed blood of Christ -- the Lamb of God -- is eternally all sufficient for the remission of sins and for the cleansing of sinners and saints. Christ (who is God) has purchased the Church with His own blood.

2. There is only ONE GOSPEL but it has many different designations.

3. Prophecy (as applied to foretelling) pertains events which will develop (or may have developed in the past). Many prophecies were fulfilled by, and in, Christ. But many remain to be fulfilled until the establishment of the New Heavens and the New Earth.

3. The term mystery as used by Paul applies to truths regarding the Church which were hidden from the OT prophets, but were revealed to Paul. The Church is redeemed Jews and Gentiles within one Body, the Body of Christ.

4. Christians must recognize the existence of TWO BAPTISMS
simultaneously: (1) the baptism WITH the Holy Spirit (which is in fact the gift of the Holy Spirit) and (2) water baptism by immersion which is Christian baptism in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

I mostly agree with you, but there’s only one baptism for Christians - but opinions will differ on what that one baptism is - water or spirit baptism.

Ephesians 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ephesians 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism
How can anyone conclude that this contradicts the express commandment of Christ just before His ascension? The context in Ephesians 4 is related to spiritual unity, and has nothing to do with water baptism. The Bible never contradicts itself.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is only one denomination approved in scripture. it is know as His Church.

Matthew 16 v18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Reactions: BobVance and kcnalp

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to have a bit of a contradiction going concerning your comment on churches that believe works play a part of Christianity, and that James condemned them as having a dead faith - given that James says faith without works is what is dead, and says that Abraham was justified by works, as are all men.

BTW if you want to see the equivalent of a sinners prayer, read Romans 10:8-13 where Paul says, here is what we apostles teach on how to be saved.
Why do you not show me my contradiction, I never mentioned james 2 concerning my last group (at all really) as James 2 would be directed at the first group any, not the last group.

a sinners prayer without true saving faith and repentance is just words.