IS THIS NOT THE LORD’S PASSOVER?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord's Passover Begins Monday, April 22, 2024 at sundown. Ends Tuesday, April 23, 2024
at sundown. The Lord's Supper is an important part of worship in the Christian church and it is referred to by a number of different titles. It is called the Eucharist, the breaking of bread, the last supper, and its more commonly known reference, is that of Communion. The denomination one belongs to determines when the Lord's Supper is observed. The times range from once a month, to once every week In examining the scriptures, one will find that the event Christians observe which they call communion is actuality the Passover, and it should be observed once a year.

A FEAST OF THE LORD The following verses show that Jesus and His disciples, by observing the Passover, were directly obeying a commandment of God.
(Leviticus 23:1) And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, (2) Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the Lord, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts (4) These are the feasts of the Lord, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. (5) In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover.
One should take note of the fact that verse (2) and (4) point out that these feasts are feasts of the Lord. Contrary to popular belief, the Passover does not belong to any particular group of people. As indicated by scripture, the Passover belongs to the Lord for it is the Lord's Passover.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus required of His disciples to go and prepare a place for the Passover. Luke (22:8) And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the Passover, that we may eat.
This verse makes it clear, that Jesus is instructing His disciples, to go and acquire a place, so they could observe the Passover and partake in the Passover meal. (9) And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare? (10) And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in. (11) And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the quest chamber, where I shall eat the Passover with my disciples Jesus informed His disciples, as to where they would find the place, where the Passover would be held. Note in verse (11), again mention is made of the fact that they will be partaking in the Passover meal.
The following verses confirm that the disciples did acquire the place where the Passover would be held and that they were sitting down to eat the Passover meal.
Luke (22:13) And they went, and found as he said unto them: and they made ready the Passover. (14) And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. (15) And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.
Verse (15) again, here Jesus is saying they are going to eat the Passover meal. The next day He was crucified, however that does not warrant the changing of the name, of the event. The fact remains that it was the Passover meal, regardless if one calls it the last supper or the Lord's supper or any other name they may chose to refer to it as.

WHAT THE PASSOVER REPRESENTS The Passover commemorates the exodus of the children of Israel from Egypt by the hand of the Lord. Israel had been in captivity in Egypt for over 400 years. Because of Pharaoh's refusal to release the children of Israel from bondage, God afflicted Egypt with plagues. The last plague issued was the killing of all the Egyptians first born. A death angel was to pass through the land, and to ensure that their first born would be spared, the Israelites were instructed by God, to mark their door posts with the blood of a lamb. The death angel would see the marking and thus pass over the house that had blood.

CHANGE IN THE PASSOVER While Jesus and His disciples were commemorating the Passover, Jesus gives His disciples a set of instructions. (Matthew 26:26) And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. (27) And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; (28) For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. (29) But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Jesus told His disciples to eat of the bread, for that represented His body, and He told them to drink of the cup, for that represented His blood. Jesus tells them, His blood is of the new testament, and it is shed for the remission of sins. Jesus is speaking of the fact, that He will be crucified for the sins of man and we know that, it is only through the shedding of Jesus’s blood, that men can receive forgiveness for their sins. Hence Jesus became our sacrificial lamb. You
will find in the Gospel of Luke where Jesus told them to partake in this meal in remembrance of Him.
(Luke 22:19) And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Now Jesus said to do this in remembrance of Him, the above shows that He is speaking in reference to observing the Passover. Again the Passover has a set time when it is to be observed , the 14th day of the month of Abib. This is the time that God appointed, for its observance. It should not be celebrated at the discretion of man.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JESUS BECAME OUR PASSOVER The following will show that Jesus became our Passover, and that is why we should commemorate the Passover, in remembrance of Jesus, shedding His blood for us. In addition we will find that Jesus not only became our Passover, He actually died on the Passover day.

Peter in the following verses reaffirms that man was redeemed by the blood of Christ and nothing else. He refers to Jesus as a lamb without spot, because Jesus who as our sacrifice, was without sin, that is why He was acceptable as a sacrifice presented to God.
(I Peter 1:18) Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; (19) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

Paul states in the following verses that Jesus is our Passover. But even more interesting is the fact that Paul is instructing those at Corinth to keep the Passover feast. We will find later that Paul is the one most quoted when people support the changing of the Passover into the various titles you have today, The Last Meal, Communion, etc. Now one needs to admit themselves that something is not quite right when the individual (Paul) whom they quote in changing God's feast day, namely the Passover is here telling the people at Corinth to keep the Passover.

(I Corinthians 5:7) Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: (8) Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
The following verses will confirm that Paul is talking about the Passover. Note what's said in verse (25) Jesus says as often as you do this, do it in remembrance of me. Jesus is stating, that each time you do this, do it in remembrance of Him. Not that one should do this as often as they wish or do it whenever they wish, because the Passover has a set time for observance.
(I Corinthians 11:23) For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: (24) And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. (25) After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
The following scriptures will show that Jesus died on the Passover day, which He had to in order to adhere to the commandment, which states that the sacrificial lamb, must be killed on the evening of the Passover.

First, Jesus tells us in Matthew that He will be crucified on the Passover. (Matthew 26:1) Ye know that after two days is the feast of the passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified. At verse (21) Jesus while eating the passover meal, with His disciples ,told them, that one of them would betray Him. In the Gospel of John (21-29) you will find that the disciples were unaware what Judas was about to do, even though Jesus told the disciples, that He was to be betrayed, and Jesus said to Judas, to do what he had to do quickly. They thought Jesus was sending Judas to buy something, since Judas held the money bag. Now Jesus identified His betrayer by giving him sop. Pay close attention to when the activities of the following verse took place.

John (13:30) He then having received the sop went immediately out: and it was night.
When Judas betrayed Jesus it was at night, the evening of the Passover. The following verses from John further confirm that Jesus was taken the night of the Passover.

Note in verse (3) when they came looking for Jesus, they came with lanterns and torches, letting you know that it was still nighttime. John (18:3) Judas then, having received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons. Jesus is going to address those looking for Him and you will see that Judas is with them, letting you know that this all happens the night of the Passover.
(4) Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? (5) They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth, Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.

The following verses also show that Jesus was crucified on the Passover. The first verse states that while they had Jesus, the Jews did not want go into the judgment hall because its still the Passover.

John (18:28) Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover. (29) Pilate then went out into them, and said, “What accusation bring ye against this man?”

In the following verses it states that Pilate was conscious of the Jews custom, and would release unto the Jews a prisoner at Passover. We know that the Jews selected Barabbas to be released. This left Jesus to be crucified and by now one should realize this is still the Passover.
John (18:38) Pilate saith unto him, “What is truth?” And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all. (39) But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that I release unto the King of the Jews? (40) Then cried they all again, saying, Not this man, but Barabbas, Now Barabbas was a robber.

The following verses will still yet further confirm that Jesus was crucified on the Passover. Note verse (14) states it was the preparation of the Passover. The Passover is at times also referred to as the day of preparation, because it is the day before the Feast of Unleavened Bread.
John (19:1) Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him. (2) And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a purple robe. (14) And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the “Jews, Behold your King!” (16) Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IT IS STILL THE PASSOVER Here we will examine where the different denominations came up with the various titles they use to replace the Lord's Passover.

The Lord's Supper I Corinthians (11:20) When you come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
Paul in the above verse made a reference to the Passover by referring to it as the Lord's supper. If one looks at verse (11:23) 23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. they will clearly see that Paul is talking about the Passover. The following verse shows what Paul is talking about when he speaks of not eating the Lord's supper.

Exodus (12:11) And thus shall ye eat it; with your lions girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the Lord's passover.

What are you eating in the above verse? You are eating the Passover meal. Paul just substituted the word supper in place of passover. This is hardly enough for anyone to do away with God's commandment of observing the Passover and adopting a tradition of observing the Lord's supper. In addition verse (11:20) is the only time a reference is made using the term the Lord's supper in the bible.

Communion Here again we have people taking Paul's writing and coming up with their own doctrine. Some churches refer to the Passover as communion. They get this from the following verse.
I Corinthians (10:16) The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
We see that this verse is talking about the Passover where Christ instructed His disciples to take of the cup and bread. The word communion simply means to share. Paul instead of saying is it not the sharing of the blood of Christ, substituted in the word communion. Communion is used in II Corinthians (6:14) where it states and what communion hath light with darkness? I pointed this out to show that communion and sharing have the same meaning. Again how does one not obey God's commandment concerning the Passover? yet observe the practice of having communion. You can not find in the bible where it says observe the Lord's communion.

The Last Supper The term the Last supper comes from the fact that Jesus stated to His disciples this will be the last time He will eat with them until the kingdom of God comes. But that does not take away from the fact that it was the Passover meal they were observing. Also, Jesus did eat after the passover: Luke 24 41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat? 42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. 43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Eucharist My only comment on the Eucharist, is that the term itself is not found in the bible. That in itself should convey something to the reader.
The bible was written with specific guidelines and rules for man to follow. Churches have come up with their own doctrine and if one takes the time to research the scriptures, they will find that a lot of the practices that churches have implemented are not supported by the bible. Yet these same institutions will teach, that people do not have to follow the commandments of the bible.

Peace to all who seek the truth in Jesus name.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord's Passover Begins Monday, April 22, 2024 at sundown. Ends Tuesday, April 23, 2024
at sundown. The Lord's Supper is an important part of worship in the Christian church and it is referred to by a number of different titles. It is called the Eucharist, the breaking of bread, the last supper, and its more commonly known reference, is that of Communion. The denomination one belongs to determines when the Lord's Supper is observed. The times range from once a month, to once every week In examining the scriptures, one will find that the event Christians observe which they call communion is actuality the Passover, and it should be observed once a year.
Not at all. Christians do not observe Passover. Jesus' Disciples observed Passover because it was a requirement under the Law of Moses. Christians are not, in the NT, under the Law of Moses. Therefore, we are not obligated to observe Passover.

Christ invited us to remember him by observing the "Lord's Supper," which is different from Passover. The 1st "Lord's Supper" was celebrated under the Law, and was apparently a form of Passover observance. But it was also the "Last Supper." It is called that because it was the last Passover observance before Jesus' death.

So after Jesus' death we continue to remember him by observing the "Lord's Supper" when it is no longer the "Last Supper." Make sense? ;)

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. Christians do not observe Passover. Jesus' Disciples observed Passover because it was a requirement under the Law of Moses. Christians are not, in the NT, under the Law of Moses. Therefore, we are not obligated to observe Passover.

Christ invited us to remember him by observing the "Lord's Supper," which is different from Passover. The 1st "Lord's Supper" was celebrated under the Law, and was apparently a form of Passover observance. But it was also the "Last Supper." It is called that because it was the last Passover observance before Jesus' death.

So after Jesus' death we continue to remember him by observing the "Lord's Supper" when it is no longer the "Last Supper." Make sense? ;)
You probably mean Roman Christians do not observe Passover, because according to the Bible, Jesus says in Matthew 26:27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Notice what the Lord says, “This is the blood of the New Testament or New covenant.” But notice something very important. He says shed for many, not for all. Why did He say many? Because, you must do the same thing they did in Egypt. If you fail to put the blood over your door post, the death angel will get you. You simply must be under the Lord's protection or under His blood. How do you get that protection? You must confess that Jesus is Lord, "repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38). You must walk in the new covenant, which are the same old Ten Commandments the Lord gave the people Himself on Mount Sinai.The Lord says, "If you love Him keep His commandments. So, if you love Him so much, you should have no problem walking in His Laws. Which includes the Sabbath day on the seventh day of the week.

After the death of Jesus let’s take a look what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 11: 23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 24 and when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Notice that ye do this until the Lord come, which is the second coming of Jesus, brothers and Sisters. Also this passover is done once a year, according to the scriptures.

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

Now let's see who Jesus is to us. I Corinthians 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us:

Paul says, "Purge out therefore the old leaven". In other words purge yourself of sin, and become a new lump, being unleaven. Meaning one that is not sinful, why? Christ is our Passover and he was sacrificed for us. Just like the lamb in Exodus was their sacrifice Christ is ours. Remember, it was the blood of the lamb that protected the children of Israel in Egypt, and for us it is the blood of Christ that will protect us. If you don't bring yourself under the blood, when death comes about, you will die for yourself even the second death, which is the LAKE OF FIRE.

The Passover represents the passing over of your sins, and the only way your sins will be passed over is if you bring yourself under the blood of the Lamb.