Isaiah 48.10: "I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction".

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such a challenging and encouraging verse for the believer:

"Isaiah 48.10: "I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction".
I am no silver smith, but consider the processing of silver to make it pure:

"When heat is applied, all the impurities embedded in the silver float to the top where it is skimmed off. These impurities, called dross, must be removed for the silver to be used properly. Every time the silver is heated, there is less and less dross until finally you have a pure product. If the silver is not pure the jeweler cannot use it." [copied from the Internet]

The heat is applied to the silver to eliminate or burn up or have removed the waste particles within the silver which are weakening and dulling it so that it cannot be used by a jeweler to form any durable and beautiful things of his art. Refining is needed...and in the case of silver it begins by heating it to its melting point... Turn on the heat!

What then is the affliction for you and for me when we already are serving our Lord? What was it for these three?

"And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.
Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.
He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God." Dan 3:23-25

The fire destroyed that which bound them!

In the things of God who might we suppose to be the refiner? The jeweler?

Is the dross like the chaff here?

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." Matt 3:11-12

As with the refiner's silver, the unquenchable fire "burns up or destroys the waste particles", purifying us, cleaning us up.

Just being clean however is the not end of the process, is it? Both unclean and clean animals were saved from the flood. What does it required to be moved up to the top? No more beasts? All burned up?

Properly attired... armoured even? Filled with what? Perhaps with the Holy Spirit? Having the Word of God written in our hearts? So what is left when the dross or chaff or garbage of the old men of us has all been burned up, destroyed!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

"When heat is applied, all the impurities embedded in the silver float to the top where it is skimmed off. These impurities, called dross, must be removed for the silver to be used properly. Every time the silver is heated, there is less and less dross until finally you have a pure product. If the silver is not pure the jeweler cannot use it." [copied from the Internet]

The heat is applied to the silver to eliminate or burn up or have removed the waste particles within the silver which are weakening and dulling it so that it cannot be used by a jeweler to form any durable and beautiful things of his art. Refining is needed...and in the case of silver it begins by heating it to its melting point... Turn on the heat!

What then is the affliction for you and for me when we already are serving our Lord? What was it for these three?

"And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.
Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.
He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God." Dan 3:23-25

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." Matt 3:11-12

As with the refiner's silver, the unquenchable fire "burns up or destroys the waste particles", purifying us, cleaning us up.

Just being clean however is the not end of the process, is it? Both unclean and clean animals were saved from the flood. What does it required to be moved up to the top? No more beasts? All burned up?

Properly attired... armoured even? Filled with what? Perhaps with the Holy Spirit? Having the Word of God written in our hearts? So what is left when the dross or chaff or garbage of the old men of us has all been burned up, destroyed!
@amadeus Thank-you; good thoughts there from Scripture.

There is also a passage in Malachi about refining, in a similar vein.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus Thank-you; good thoughts there from Scripture.

There is also a passage in Malachi about refining, in a similar vein.
"But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness" Mal 3:2-3

Reactions: TLHKAJ and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness" Mal 3:2-3
@amadeus Yes, this is the passage I was thinking of, thanks.

Reactions: amadeus

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The literal refiners fire is yet to come at the second coming of Jesus Christ, and all men's works will be tried by this refiners fire, only the righteous will pass through this fire to the Eternal Kingdom

1 Corinthians 3:13KJV
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

Malachi 3:2KJV
2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

The wicked will be caught in the Lords last day judgement by fire (The Lake Of Fire)

Luke 17:29-30KJV
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

Daniel 7:10KJV
10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know I wasn't tagged, but this is good stuff ....very encouraging reminder....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I know I wasn't tagged, but this is good stuff ....very encouraging reminder....
@TLHKAJ I think we can grasp the experiential side of what this text really means when the keep "looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him, endured the Cross" (Hebrews 12).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Rita Thanks for the 'like'; I find myself coming back again and again to Malachi's little prophecy.

Hope you have a blessed Lord's Day tomorrow...

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Rita Thanks for the 'like'; I find myself coming back again and again to Malachi's little prophecy.

Hope you have a blessed Lord's Day tomorrow...
Lol, it’s already the Lords day here in the U.K. ( 5:20 in the morning here xx)

Reactions: amadeus and farouk