It is easier for a camel to go through the EYE OF A NEEDLE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 19:

24 I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
Vincent's Word Studies:

Compare the Jewish proverb, that a man did not even in his dreams see an elephant pass through the eye of a needle.
Jesus alluded to a Jewish proverb but changed the image of an elephant to a camel.

The reason why the camel was substituted for the elephant was because the proverb was from the Babylonian Talmud, and in Babylon the elephant was common, while in Palestine it was unknown. The Koran has the same figure: "The impious shall find the gates of heaven shut; nor shall he enter there till a camel shall pass through the eye of a needle." Bo-chart, in his history of the animals of scripture, cites a Talmudic passage: "A needle's eye is not too narrow for two friends, nor is the world wide enough for two enemies." The allusion is not to be explained by reference to a narrow gate called a needle's eye.
Vincent didn't think there was a physical gate named "Needle's Eye."

Similarly, Cambridge Bible:

An expression familiar to Jews of our Lord’s time. The exaggeration is quite in the Eastern style. It is unnecessary to give other explanations, as that camel is a Greek word meaning “a rope,” or that “the eye of a needle” is a gate so called.
By this hyperbolic imagery, Jesus wanted to emphasize how difficult or impossible it was for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. Jesus often spoke in poetic hyperbole to emphasize a deeper spiritual reality.

Reactions: amadeus

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 19:

Vincent's Word Studies:

Jesus alluded to a Jewish proverb but changed the image of an elephant to a camel.

Vincent didn't think there was a physical gate named "Needle's Eye."

Similarly, Cambridge Bible:

By this hyperbolic imagery, Jesus wanted to emphasize how difficult or impossible it was for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. Jesus often spoke in poetic hyperbole to emphasize a deeper spiritual reality.
Dear TonyChanYT,
In the spiritual language of Christ, a "rich man" is a person who is spiritually rich. In this case, Christ is referring to the Jewish Nation. They were rich because they were given the Law. Christ is not referring to material wealth.

Here is the full scripture:

Mat 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Since the Jewish Nation was spiritually rich, only a few of the Elect are Jewish. The balance of the Jewish Nation will have to wait to receive their salvation at the end of the final age when "all Israel will be saved":

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. 26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: 27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Joe