It is Finished

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 19:28-30
"After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. (Psalms. 69:21)

Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.

When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

The saddest but at the same time, the most joyous words I have ever read in Scripture "It is Finished."

It meant the death of our Lord, but also it set us free from the bondage of sin to everyone who will believe. Satan no longer has the legal right to hold us in bondage, Christ has set us free!

The words "It is Finished" means that Christ had completed what He came to do. He lived a perfect life without sin in thought or deed. He earned the righteousness of the Law by keeping it perfectly, something no other man could do. This is the righteousness that is freely given to us when we believe. We didn't earn it, He did!

This gift of righteousness is granted the very moment we place trust in what He did for us on that Cross, and His resurrection. It is our salvation. We can add nothing to it, "It is Finished." But there is more! I want to take a look at what else He came to do.

Luke 4:15-20
"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, (Isaiah 61:1-2)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him."

Our Lord came to:

Preach the Gospel to the poor.
To heal the brokenhearted.
To preach deliverance to the captives.
The recovering to the sight of the blind.
To set at liberty them that are bruised.

Our Lord has accomplished all of this through "It is Finished." It's already done! It's yours for the taking! It's waiting for you!

He has promised the poor who place trust in Him, you may be poor in this world, but you will forever be rich in My Kingdom.

Your heart may be broken from the realities of this world, but I can place in the heart the joy that passes all understanding.

He has promised to set the captive free, who will dare believe "It is finished."

He will recover the sight of one who is spiritually blind, if you are willing to believe Him.

Those who have been scared in life, who have been mistreated, who have been placed in a mental/spiritual prison, He will set you at liberty. He has promised to set you free from that misery.

All of these promises are through "It is finished." Placing one's faith on what He there did!

The prophecies of Isaiah 61:1-2 were fulfilled that day in the synagogue when Christ spoke those words, except for the last line.

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;"

In Isaiah 61:2, Christ stopped midway in that verse. He did not complete the last line, as it is yet future.

Christ will come the second time, and when He does, vengeance will be taken on this world for sin. And He will finish that last line in Isaiah 61:2, He will comfort all that mourn, that trust in Him, who have suffered with Him in this world.

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He that does righteous is righteous even as He is righteous. He that sins is of the Devil. For the Devil sinned from the beginning. For this purpose was the Son of God manifested. That He destroy the works of the Devil. And We know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 19:28-30
"After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. (Psalms. 69:21)

Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.

When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

The saddest but at the same time, the most joyous words I have ever read in Scripture "It is Finished."

It meant the death of our Lord, but also it set us free from the bondage of sin to everyone who will believe. Satan no longer has the legal right to hold us in bondage, Christ has set us free!

The words "It is Finished" means that Christ had completed what He came to do. He lived a perfect life without sin in thought or deed. He earned the righteousness of the Law by keeping it perfectly, something no other man could do. This is the righteousness that is freely given to us when we believe. We didn't earn it, He did!

This gift of righteousness is granted the very moment we place trust in what He did for us on that Cross, and His resurrection. It is our salvation. We can add nothing to it, "It is Finished." But there is more! I want to take a look at what else He came to do.

Luke 4:15-20
"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, (Isaiah 61:1-2)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him."

Our Lord came to:

Preach the Gospel to the poor.
To heal the brokenhearted.
To preach deliverance to the captives.
The recovering to the sight of the blind.
To set at liberty them that are bruised.

Our Lord has accomplished all of this through "It is Finished." It's already done! It's yours for the taking! It's waiting for you!

He has promised the poor who place trust in Him, you may be poor in this world, but you will forever be rich in My Kingdom.

Your heart may be broken from the realities of this world, but I can place in the heart the joy that passes all understanding.

He has promised to set the captive free, who will dare believe "It is finished."

He will recover the sight of one who is spiritually blind, if you are willing to believe Him.

Those who have been scared in life, who have been mistreated, who have been placed in a mental/spiritual prison, He will set you at liberty. He has promised to set you free from that misery.

All of these promises are through "It is finished." Placing one's faith on what He there did!

The prophecies of Isaiah 61:1-2 were fulfilled that day in the synagogue when Christ spoke those words, except for the last line.

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;"

In Isaiah 61:2, Christ stopped midway in that verse. He did not complete the last line, as it is yet future.

Christ will come the second time, and when He does, vengeance will be taken on this world for sin. And He will finish that last line in Isaiah 61:2, He will comfort all that mourn, that trust in Him, who have suffered with Him in this world.

Excellent post! The only thing I might question is on the matter of vengeance. God takes vengeance throughout history. My own pastors, with whom I've disagreed, continually declare that God does not judge in the present age, and insist that this is an "age of grace."

In my view, nothing could be farther from the truth. Within 40 years Jesus brought judgment upon Israel for their recalcitrance and cold-heartedness. Except for the few survivors of faith in him, death rained down upon the Jewish People, setting them up for an entire age of punishment. You can read about this in Luke 21, as well as in other places.

Yes, vengeance is to come upon Israel and the world one final time at the 2nd Coming, and in the times just prior to that. The Christian world is backsliding as bad as did Israel when she fell away from Christ. And this world-wide apostasy from Christianity will lead to terrible judgments, as we read in the book of Revelation.

But even before this, we've seen judgments from God fall upon backsliding Christian nations throughout history, as well as on pagan nations. Jesus came not just to bring salvation, but also to bring judgment. It's just that God is very patient, wanting all to have an opportunity to accept His grace before pouring out on them His judgment.

But thanks for a very inspiring, compassionate post otherwise. A hearty "Amen" to that! A big message in the history of Israel was that God not only brings judgment for moral lapses, but He is also willing to forgive after that has taken place. And Israel is a model for Christian nations today. Though many so-called Christians from former Christian nations have fallen by the wayside, morally, God is willing to forgive and to restore. I know--I've been a recipient of this grace.

Reactions: marks and Charlie24

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent post! The only thing I might question is on the matter of vengeance. God takes vengeance throughout history. My own pastors, with whom I've disagreed, continually declare that God does not judge in the present age, and insist that this is an "age of grace."

In my view, nothing could be farther from the truth. Within 40 years Jesus brought judgment upon Israel for their recalcitrance and cold-heartedness. Except for the few survivors of faith in him, death rained down upon the Jewish People, setting them up for an entire age of punishment. You can read about this in Luke 21, as well as in other places.

Yes, vengeance is to come upon Israel and the world one final time at the 2nd Coming, and in the times just prior to that. The Christian world is backsliding as bad as did Israel when she fell away from Christ. And this world-wide apostasy from Christianity will lead to terrible judgments, as we read in the book of Revelation.

But even before this, we've seen judgments from God fall upon backsliding Christian nations throughout history, as well as on pagan nations. Jesus came not just to bring salvation, but also to bring judgment. It's just that God is very patient, wanting all to have an opportunity to accept His grace before pouring out on them His judgment.

But thanks for a very inspiring, compassionate post otherwise. A hearty "Amen" to that! A big message in the history of Israel was that God not only brings judgment for moral lapses, but He is also willing to forgive after that has taken place. And Israel is a model for Christian nations today. Though many so-called Christians from former Christian nations have fallen by the wayside, morally, God is willing to forgive and to restore. I know--I've been a recipient of this grace.

Oh, I agree! We reap what we sow, and His vengeance is alive and well on a daily basis.

The vengeance Isaiah speaks of is that against the anit-christ and his armies of the world who have turned on His chosen people of Israel. The Scripture tells us he, the antichrist and his armies are destroyed at His coming.

Israel will go into great mourning when they see the One whom they have pierced, is indeed the One who saves them from total destruction, Jesus Christ. He will comfort them in that sorrow along with all who mourn for His coming.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Within 40 years Jesus brought judgment upon Israel for their recalcitrance and cold-heartedness.

I’m not so sure. A sermon once delved into NATURAL consequences as additional to divine consequences.

The destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD by the Roman’s was a natural consequence of their recalcitrance and cold-heartedness. The difference, I compare to the plagues of Egypt, where it was obvious the cause was supernatural.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a thorn in my side as I speak 21st American - not 16th century King’s English.

That's amazing, because I can understand the King's English better than your 21st American.

Guess I've been doing it so long I got the knack.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not so sure. A sermon once delved into NATURAL consequences as additional to divine consequences.

The destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD by the Roman’s was a natural consequence of their recalcitrance and cold-heartedness. The difference, I compare to the plagues of Egypt, where it was obvious the cause was supernatural.

That was barely readable for me! And I apologize if I misunderstand, but it sounds as if you're denying the Olivet Discourse was a prophecy, resulting in a supernatural judgment of God?

If so, I think you're dead wrong! It is supernatural if God is causing the events to happen, even if He is operating through the agency of the Roman Empire. Certainly the Romans were upset that the Jews were rebelling against them, but the fact is, Jesus stated that God was unhappy with them and the result would be their judgment.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was barely readable for me! And I apologize if I misunderstand, but it sounds as if you're denying the Olivet Discourse was a prophecy, resulting in a supernatural judgment of God?

Well, your sentence is barely readable to me.

Let me say it simply. I have doubt, uncertainty.

Somewhat hostile for you to come back with me being dead wrong.

We can delve into why I have doubt if you think it would be fruitful.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, your sentence is barely readable to me.

Let me say it simply. I have doubt, uncertainty.

Somewhat hostile for you to come back with me being dead wrong.

We can delve into why I have doubt if you think it would be fruitful.

Sorry if I cam across like gangbusters. It's difficult for me to be "kind" all the time, though that's what I wish to be. I just like to get the disagreement out of the way so we can move on to a "discussion" phase. Yes, I love discussing all these things, whether we fully agree or not.

I honestly could not be sure what you're saying. But if I had you right, I obviously had a strong disagreement with what I thought you were saying.

It would help if you would confirm or deny what I thought you were saying? Were you saying that the Olivet Discourse, and the prophecy that Israel would be destroyed in 70 AD, is *not* a supernatural judgment from God?

If that's correct I can see why you wouldn't think it was supernatural, because it wasn't a miracle. But if it was in fact a prophecy, then God was certainly the supernatural force behind the event taking place, right?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would help if you would confirm or deny what I thought you were saying? Were you saying that the Olivet Discourse, and the prophecy that Israel would be destroyed in 70 AD, is *not* a supernatural judgment from God?

I don't speak or think in these terms. I'd have to research what you are specifically saying here to give an answer.

If that's correct I can see why you wouldn't think it was supernatural, because it wasn't a miracle. But if it was in fact a prophecy, then God was certainly the supernatural force behind the event taking place, right

Again, I don't think so. If it is not a miracle, then it reduces to a NATURAL force behind the event taking place.

They way I look at such things after reading Augustin's Confessions is that God is outside of time. His prophecy's may be what he will do OR allow to happen. The OT is a lot about prophets telling people to repent or doom will follow. I know it says things like God raised up an enemy of Israel and such language is vague on the miracle-natural scale.

Hope this helps.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't speak or think in these terms. I'd have to research what you are specifically saying here to give an answer.

Again, I don't think so. If it is not a miracle, then it reduces to a NATURAL force behind the event taking place.

They way I look at such things after reading Augustin's Confessions is that God is outside of time. His prophecy's may be what he will do OR allow to happen. The OT is a lot about prophets telling people to repent or doom will follow. I know it says things like God raised up an enemy of Israel and such language is vague on the miracle-natural scale.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it does help. I'm very familiar with this kind of argument, and have been engaged in it for a long time. My own pastors take such an approach, thinking that God is sort of outside of history, lending grace but not judging.

For me, I couldn't disagree more. But these are my pastors and friends, and I don't let this disagreement prevent me from supporting them in areas where we are in agreement. Thanks for the explanation.

You may not think so, but there is a long history in non-Christian philosophy and religion that views God as impassible and transcendent beyond world history. Obviously, I don't agree with that since at the birth of Christ God entered into human history. And biblical prophecy does indicate that God controls all of the agencies and causes that determine history.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, I couldn't disagree more.
Why are you so passionate about this?

One person explained how NATURAL are god's default settings and MIRACULOUS are when he decides to supercede his default settings. An example is a ball dropping.

The ball drops because of God's default setting of gravity. If he were to supercede by extending a supernatural hand to stop the ball from falling, it does not mean the law of gravity no longer exists or is no longer at play. It is. It's just that God's will varied from the default in that setting.

So, from this perspective, it is all God. My Pastor said last year that there is no such thing as secular. What do you think of that?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you so passionate about this?

One person explained how NATURAL are god's default settings and MIRACULOUS are when he decides to supercede his default settings. An example is a ball dropping.

The ball drops because of God's default setting of gravity. If he were to supercede by extending a supernatural hand to stop the ball from falling, it does not mean the law of gravity no longer exists or is no longer at play. It is. It's just that God's will varied from the default in that setting.

So, from this perspective, it is all God. My Pastor said last year that there is no such thing as secular. What do you think of that?

Well, I understand his sentiment, but it avoids the obvious use of the word to indicate the difference, for example, between secular rulers and religious rulers. In the age of Christian States all the rulers were Christian. But there was a distinction between secular rulers and ecclesiastical rulers, or rulers over the State Church.

Mixing up kings and priests caused problem over things like the investiture controversy. It's best to keep politics to the politicians and religious duties to religious leaders. They can all be Christian but operate within their own sphere and gift.

But I would agree with your pastor that like the example I just gave we shouldn't separate Christianity from the State, nor from physics, nor from accidents of nature, nor from the ability to do miracles. God must not be placed transcendentally outside of the realm of human experience as Deists see it--a watch-maker who has removed himself from the operation of the watch.

This subject is important and emotional for me because of the very point you're making--the need to see God as the One in charge of all events, both miraculous and natural.

Thanks for showing such great understanding of the subject. I can avoid being as wordy as I normally am! ;)

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a beautiful saying........".IT IS FINISHED".

What is finished ?
Only the greatest event made known to mankind !

The plan of salvation, redemption for all man, not by the law which puts off sin,but the GRACE of God which covers it in complete forgiveness to all who believe and continue steadfast in the faith unto the end !

Reactions: Charlie24