it will be done for them

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” Mat 18:18-20 ESV

This seems to be demonstrably untrue? If this is true then why is there still poverty, homelessness, disease etc.? Surely two Christians have prayed together about these things in the last 2000 years.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” Mat 18:18-20 ESV

This seems to be demonstrably untrue? If this is true then why is there still poverty, homelessness, disease etc.? Surely two Christians have prayed together about these things in the last 2000 years.

There is still so much that "is written" that I don't understand.
I guess 'one day' we will see why such things were never answered.

I remember ( humorously) reading how a wife went passed the door of her preacher husbands study , she popped her head in the door and asked-

"What on earth are you doing?"

He said.."well I can't preach again about faith until I move this paperclip."
He went on to say that if - "We are told that the prayer of faith will move a mountain, if so, then surely faith can move a paperclip. Im starting with a paper clip before trying the mountain." :)

The book by the English author Adrien Plass.

D

Dave L

This applies to Christians. The rest remain under God's wrath and all you mention is part of it.

“He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” (John 3:36)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This applies to Christians. The rest remain under God's wrath and all you mention is part of it.

“He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” (John 3:36)

Dave, even as Christians...does it work every time for you??
It doesn't for me and my house...it is 'hit and miss'.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Don't two Christians pray for another Christians health? This should be able to be demonstrated, right?

I am aware of your gods threats.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
There is still so much that "is written" that I don't understand.
I guess 'one day' we will see why such things were never answered.
Thanks for the honest answer. I have always said "I Don't Know" is a valid and honest answer.

I remember ( humorously) reading how a wife went passed the door of her preacher husbands study , she popped her head in the door and asked-

"What on earth are you doing?"

He said.."well I can't preach again about faith until I move this paperclip."
He went on to say that if - "We are told that the prayer of faith will move a mountain, if so, then surely faith can move a paperclip. Im starting with a paper clip before trying the mountain." :)

The book by the English author Adrien Plass.
:)

Reactions: Nancy and Hisman
D

Dave L

Don't two Christians pray for another Christians health? This should be able to be demonstrated, right?

I am aware of your gods threats.
It says the prayer of faith will heal the sick. If God grants faith in the matter it is as good as done. If he doesn't, the prayer does not match his plans.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
It says the prayer of faith will heal the sick. If God grants faith in the matter it is as good as done. If he doesn't, the prayer does not match his plans.
That is not what the verses say.

D

Dave L

I am just reading what the verses say. You are the one trying to make it say something it doesn't.
You seem to think Christians are to pray for the world and see results when Jesus didn't even do that.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
You seem to think Christians are to pray for the world and see results when Jesus didn't even do that.
Then what is this verse saying? If it only to be for Christians fine, but shouldn't that be something that can be verifiable?

D

Dave L

Then what is this verse saying? If it only to be for Christians fine, but shouldn't that be something that can be verifiable?
The world is supposed to suffer. That's what God's wrath is all about.

Hisman

Mar 31, 2019
westen
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The prayer of faith does not always work for me.

But at those times I question my faith.
I also question whether what I am praying for is indeed what God wanted.
I can't blame God for my lack or faith , or my lack of power.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
The prayer of faith does not always work for me.

But at those times I question my faith.
I also question whether what I am praying for is indeed what God wanted.
I can't blame God for my lack or faith , or my lack of power.
The verse doesn't say anything about the amount of faith you need.

Reactions: Hisman

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
No, it's true but you cannot properly understand it unless you balance it with other passages that speak of God's wrath on unbelievers.
I have taken the unbeliever out of the discussion. Will god keep his word if two christian of like mind get together and agree on something like healing another christian? The verse says agree on anything.

D

Dave L

I have taken the unbeliever out of the discussion. Will god keep his word if two christian of like mind get together and agree on something like healing another christian? The verse says agree on anything.
Why pray "if it be thy will"?