It's all about Matthew 7:23

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

humbleseeker

Oct 29, 2019
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True and False Disciples (NIV)
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

I know the context is about hypocrites and scammers, but it's also about having a personal relationship with Jesus ! We must pray, include Jesus into our lives, establish a personal relationship with him, so that "on that day" Jesus WON'T say "I never knew you".

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our lives testify as to whether or not God knows us, and we know him.

"6No one who remains in Him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has seen Him or known Him." 1 John 3:6

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know the context is about hypocrites and scammers, but it's also about having a personal relationship with Jesus ! We must pray, include Jesus into our lives, establish a personal relationship with him, so that "on that day" Jesus WON'T say "I never knew you".
Yes, it isn't enough to know about Jesus; we have to know him in a personal way.

Reactions: Nancy

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yep and Yeshua says if you love me keep my Commandments John 14:15. The New Testament was not compiled for centuries after Yeshua said this. Yeshua is the word from the beginning. The commandments are those written in the Torah. Yeshua is the same, yesterday, today and forever. If that is true well then so is the word of Yahweh including the Torah/Commandments for Yeshua is that very same word.

Halleluyah!!!

Shalom

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: "Actually all about Matthew_7:23"?
Precious friend, Actually, Scripture Is "ALL About" The LORD JESUS CHRIST!

After "believing The Gospel Of God's GRACE, then it is "all about" a lot more
study "Comparing Scripture With ALL Scripture With The Blessed Holy
Spirit As Teacher." (1 Corinthians 2:13 = Rule # 5 of Bible study Rules!)

Thus, cherry-picking\Misinterpreting Scriptures Is Eliminated When studying
to find God's Sound Doctrines. For example, about HIS "Knowing"?:

(1) "God’s SURE Foundation Has THIS SEAL:

The LORD Knoweth them that Are HIS!..." (2 Timothy 2:19 KJB!), Correct?

(2) HOW LONG Has "The LORD KNOWN them That Are HIS Own"?

(Ephesians 1:4-6 KJB!) = ALWAYS, Correct?

Compared to:

(3) For those who are LOST, how is it That The LORD Said Unto them:

I NEVER Knew you”? (Matthew 7:21-23 KJB!) = NEVER, Correct?

Conclusion:

Thus, the man-made doctrine of "Christ ONCE {Always?} knew one forgiven And
Eternally
Saved, And, Then when they walked away, He [NEVER knew?]
Did NOT know them Any Longer, and they Became LOST!:

Is NOWHERE found God's Pure And HOLY Scripture, Correct?
------------------------------------
Precious friend, hope this makes sense about "actually all about"?

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

The Book of Matthew has a theme, it is a portrait of Christ, as the Messiah, the King of Kings, a descendant of David. It was written to the Jewish Christians and unbelieving Jews who had a conflict. Those unbelieving Jews, who practiced Law and the Prophets, who remain stubborn, will at their death meet their Messiah and they will get rejected.
The qualification of who this passage (Matthew 7) was written to, lies not just that it is written to the Jews, but also in their response to the Lord: " Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name and done many wonders in Your name?" Matthew 7:22
Those aren't gentile unbelievers, they are Jewish unbelievers. The Word was given to them first. They knew and experienced God throughout their generations and so though they knew about the Messiah, they rejected Jesus and had no personal relationship with Him. "I never knew you" means they never had a relationship with Jesus. The unbelieving gentile never did those things nor claimed to do them, only the Jews did.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Book of Matthew has a theme, it is a portrait of Christ, as the Messiah, the King of Kings, a descendant of David. It was written to the Jewish Christians and unbelieving Jews who had a conflict. Those unbelieving Jews, who practiced Law and the Prophets, who remain stubborn, will at their death meet their Messiah and they will get rejected.
The qualification of who this passage (Matthew 7) was written to, lies not just that it is written to the Jews, but also in their response to the Lord: " Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name and done many wonders in Your name?" Matthew 7:22
Those aren't gentile unbelievers, they are Jewish unbelievers. The Word was given to them first. They knew and experienced God throughout their generations and so though they knew about the Messiah, they rejected Jesus and had no personal relationship with Him. "I never knew you" means they never had a relationship with Jesus. The unbelieving gentile never did those things nor claimed to do them, only the Jews did.

I'm sure there are some modern day pastors that this applies to.

Reactions: Nancy

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure there are some modern day pastors that this applies to.
Jim Jones, David Coresh, Warren Jeffs ... yeah. I think many Pastors who have been corrupted by money or sex end up learning a lesson before death and repenting. We see this often. Gay ministers would certainly be deceived in thinking they will get in.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are to have a personal relationship with Jesus AND a communal relationship in The Church.

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The NIV translates the phrase "ergezomenoi ten anomian" as "evildoers.

That further obscures the most critical phrase in the passage.
More literally it means "workers without the Torah."

Nomos is the Greek term for the Torah. Anomia is "without Torah."

All the feel-good slogans in the world will not change the fact that Jesus Himself is saying, "people who call on my Name, and use my Name in their ministries, and posture themselves as leaders and prophets are going to be in for a big surprise on Judgment Day. They did not obey my Father's Commandments, which are also MY Commandments. I don't know them. They claim to know me, but they never observe what I told them to observe. Instead, they made up their own law. They sought their own righteousness, not my Father's righteousness."

1 John 2:1-7
He who says, "I know Him," but does not keep His Commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. This is the Commandment you had from the beginning.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

how do you get this personal covenant with Christ?

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The context is about people who obey the Torah, or not. Jesus said people will come in His Name, they will say He is the Messiah, but will deceive many. How are they deceiving them?

They are telling them they do not need to obey the Law.

"You evildoers" is "ergezomenoi ten anomian." That LITERALLY means "workers without the Law."

All the slogans will not change the fact that Jesus does not know the people who observe the feasts of pagan gods and attach His Name to them.

He hates that.

Reactions: Ancient

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians are forbidden to observe any Jewish feasts and fasts too!

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians are forbidden to observe any Jewish feasts and fasts too!

Maybe YOU are!

So, you are telling me that Christians are forbidden from following Jesus?
Matthew 6:16-18, Matthew 17:21, Matthew 26:17-19, Luke 2:41-41, John 2:23, John 4:45, John 5:1, John 10:22, John 12:12

Paul told the Corinthians to observe the feast of unleavened bread. He wanted to be back in Jerusalem for one of them.
1 Corinthians 5:8, Acts 18:21, Acts 27:9.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 7:23, we see that Jesus NEVER knew these many people which means they were NEVER saved. They failed to do the will of the Father (Matthew 7:21)

John 6:40 - For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe YOU are!

So, you are telling me that Christians are forbidden from following Jesus?
Matthew 6:16-18, Matthew 17:21, Matthew 26:17-19, Luke 2:41-41, John 2:23, John 4:45, John 5:1, John 10:22, John 12:12

Paul told the Corinthians to observe the feast of unleavened bread. He wanted to be back in Jerusalem for one of them.
1 Corinthians 5:8, Acts 18:21, Acts 27:9.

they point to the fulfillment in the Christ to practice them today would be to reject Christ!

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
they point to the fulfillment in the Christ to practice them today would be to reject Christ!

Paul continued to observe them. He told others to continue observing them.

Not submitting to the authority of YHVH's Law is what makes Christians carnally minded.

You say that observing the events in Jesus' life is a rejection of Him. That defies logic.

Reactions: Ancient