Jesus and Commands

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
This is in bible study because answers should be biblically based and I'd like to avoid personal comments since they add nothing to a discussion.

I hear many say that Jesus has come to abolish the law because we are no longer under the law. This comes from
Mathew 5:17

It seems to me that Jesus plainly states that He did NOT come to abolish the law.

So, the law is a set of commands that God has given us.
Did Jesus give us any commands that we are to follow?
If so, what are they?
If not, why not.

John 14:15 says:
"If you love Me, you will keep my commandments". (NASB)

WHAT COMMANDMENTS??

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
This is in bible study because answers should be biblically based and I'd like to avoid personal comments since they add nothing to a discussion.

I hear many say that Jesus has come to abolish the law because we are no longer under the law. This comes from

It seems to me that Jesus plainly states that He did NOT come to abolish the law.

If so, what are they?
If not, why not.

WHAT COMMANDMENTS??

Jesus definitely did not say 'love thy neighbour' - twinc

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Joh 15:17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
Joh_13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh_15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

and

Joh 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

The law is such a stumbling block, you either keep it or you dont, if you do than you must be judged by it, and you are judged by it you condemn yourself. People say they want grace yet hang on to teh law as if it is a Medal.. I kept the law!, they cry, God would say otherwise, Why do you keep a law that cannot condemn you, for if you are under grace teh law has no hold on you. Have we gone from grace by faith back top works of teh flesh again???

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If so, what are they?

Mark 12
28 Then one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, perceiving that He had answered them well, asked Him, “Which is the first commandment of all?”
29 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’This is the first commandment.
31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Joh 15:17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
Joh_13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh_15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

and

Joh 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

The law is such a stumbling block, you either keep it or you dont, if you do than you must be judged by it, and you are judged by it you condemn yourself. People say they want grace yet hang on to teh law as if it is a Medal.. I kept the law!, they cry, God would say otherwise, Why do you keep a law that cannot condemn you, for if you are under grace teh law has no hold on you. Have we gone from grace by faith back top works of teh flesh again???
Thanks mj.
Love is certainly important.
Would you care to say why?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Mark 12
28 Then one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, perceiving that He had answered them well, asked Him, “Which is the first commandment of all?”
29 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’This is the first commandment.
31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Thanks job.
I agree.
@mjrhealth has said the same.

Why are there no greater commandments than these?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Would you care to say why?
Why, well it is something He has being driving into me, if one could say that, for 36 years, It is why I can forgive and it is why I dont add people to my ignore list, ( dont have one),

Reactions: Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If so, what are they?
If not, why not.

WHAT COMMANDMENTS??

(John 13:34) "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another."

(John 14:13) "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name,that will I do...."

(John 15:4) "Abide in me, and I in you...."

(John 15:16) "...go and bring forth fruit...."

(John 21:19,22) "...Follow me."

(Matt. 26:26-29) The Lords Supper

(Matt. 28:19-20) "...teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:..."

(John 16:12-13) Other things which will be revealed by the Holy Spirit in the New Testament.

Stranger

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Why, well it is something He has being driving into me, if one could say that, for 36 years, It is why I can forgive and it is why I dont add people to my ignore list, ( dont have one),
I don't have an ignore list either.

What I meant is why is love so important?
Why do you list only the love commandments?
Jesus left many commandments --- why is love the most important one?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
(John 13:34) "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another."

(Matt. 28:19-20) "...teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:..."

(John 16:12-13) Other things which will be revealed by the Holy Spirit in the New Testament.

Stranger
Thanks Stranger.
Great list.

Would you care to elaborate on the Last Supper?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Stranger
P.S.
What would you say "fruit" referes to?
Bring forth fruit.
Does it mean to bring others into the Kingdom?
Or does it mean to do good deeds?

Reactions: Uisdean and Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P.S.
What would you say "fruit" referes to?
Bring forth fruit.
Does it mean to bring others into the Kingdom?
Or does it mean to do good deeds?

Fruit refers to the 'fruit of the Spirit'. It is a product of the Spirit like peaches are the product of the peach tree. Yes it can mean bringing others into the kingdom as the Spirit is involved in doing that. See (Gal.5:22-26).

It does not mean 'to do good deeds'. Though good deeds will be done as a result. You can do good deeds in the flesh and they avail you nothing. It must be as a result of abiding in Christ, and the flow of the Holy Spirit in you.

Stranger

Reactions: Uisdean

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Could you please back that up with scripture?

Didn't Jesus say this in mathew 22:39?

as usual scriptures are misinterpreted - Jesus did not say this as it was already in existence - what He did say later "ye have heard it said of old love thy neighbour but I say unto you" etc - twinc

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
as usual scriptures are misinterpreted - Jesus did not say this as it was already in existence - what He did say later "ye have heard it said of old love thy neighbour but I say unto you" etc - twinc
Twinc

The problem is that I don't really know what you're talking about.
What do you meant by "but I say unto you"?
Do you mean that Jesus said NOT to love our neighbor?
WHAT scripture is being misunderstood?
You never quoted a scripture.

Please clarify.
Thanks.

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Fruit refers to the 'fruit of the Spirit'. It is a product of the Spirit like peaches are the product of the peach tree. Yes it can mean bringing others into the kingdom as the Spirit is involved in doing that. See (Gal.5:22-26).

It does not mean 'to do good deeds'. Though good deeds will be done as a result. You can do good deeds in the flesh and they avail you nothing. It must be as a result of abiding in Christ, and the flow of the Holy Spirit in you.

Stranger
You say that we can do good deeds in the flesh but they avail us nothing.
It must be as a result of abiding in Christ and the outflow of the Holy Spirit.

OK.
I believe everyone on these forum is Christian.
So how does what you said have meaning for us? Saved persons...

What ARE deeds in the flesh?
Are there also deeds in the spirit?

Would what you're speaking of refer to:

1 Corinthians 10:31-33New American Standard Bible (NASB)
31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or A)">whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32 B)">Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to C)">the church of God; 33 just as I also D)">please all men in all things, E)">not seeking my own profit but the profit of the many, F)">so that they may be saved.

And in the very next verse, Paul says:

1 Corinthians 11:1New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Christian Order
11 A)">Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.

How does Paul mean for us to be imitators of him?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Would anyone say that the Beatitudes in
Mathew 5:3-10 are commandments?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Luke 6:32-36 KJV
[32] For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. [33] And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. [34] And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. [35] But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. [36] Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Luke 1:71-72 KJV
[71] That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us; [72] To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 3:20 KJV
[20] Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 13:10 KJV
[10] Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Galatians 5:22-23 KJV
[22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, [23] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.