Jesus and the Pharisees

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus and the Pharisees were both teachers of the Mosiac Law. You would think that because they had this in common that they would be friends, instead they were bitter enemies. What was it that made them enemies. Jesus said of them, "They say, but they don't do" In the 23rd chapter of Matthew Jesus referred to them as hypocrites seven times. The Pharisees were deeply offended when Jesus referred to them as hypocrites. No one had ever referred to them as hypocrites before. As far as they were concerned, they were holy men, not hypocrites.

The Pharisees were professional religionist, they even tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Matthew 23:23. Jesus was not impressed with their religious endeavors and called them blind guides. The 23rd chapter of Matthew is a scathing rebuke of them. Jesus called them "Blind guides" "Whited sepulchers" "Snakes" "Fools" and most of all Hypocrites. When I first read the 23rd chapter of Matthew I was a bit shocked of the anger that Jesus had towards the Pharisees. Didn't Jesus teach that we were to love our enemies and do good to those that persecute us?

If was the Pharisees that caused Jesus to be crucified. I suspect that it was the Pharisees that murdered all of the apostles, except for John. They were beyond repentance and were hell bound, all in the name of religion. Jesus said, "They hated me without a cause". Jesus was going about doing good and they hated him for all of the good he was doing. It was the raising of Lazurus that was the straw that broke the camels back. They said, "If we don't kill him the whole world will be going after him, and we will lose our place". So, they plotted to kill him.

In spite of all of the miracles that Jesus did they could not believe in him. They said, "Is this not Josephs son? They just could not believe that he was their promised Messiah. They thought that their promised Messiah would accept them, but instead Jesus rejected them, after that it didn't matter who he was, he had to go.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus and the Pharisees were both teachers of the Mosiac Law. You would think that because they had this in common that they would be friends, instead they were bitter enemies. What was it that made them enemies. Jesus said of them, "They say, but they don't do" In the 23rd chapter of Matthew Jesus referred to them as hypocrites seven times. The Pharisees were deeply offended when Jesus referred to them as hypocrites. No one had ever referred to them as hypocrites before. As far as they were concerned, they were holy men, not hypocrites.

The Pharisees were professional religionist, they even tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Matthew 23:23. Jesus was not impressed with their religious endeavors and called them blind guides. The 23rd chapter of Matthew is a scathing rebuke of them. Jesus called them "Blind guides" "Whited sepulchers" "Snakes" "Fools" and most of all Hypocrites. When I first read the 23rd chapter of Matthew I was a bit shocked of the anger that Jesus had towards the Pharisees. Didn't Jesus teach that we were to love our enemies and do good to those that persecute us?

If was the Pharisees that caused Jesus to be crucified. I suspect that it was the Pharisees that murdered all of the apostles, except for John. They were beyond repentance and were hell bound, all in the name of religion. Jesus said, "They hated me without a cause". Jesus was going about doing good and they hated him for all of the good he was doing. It was the raising of Lazurus that was the straw that broke the camels back. They said, "If we don't kill him the whole world will be going after him, and we will lose our place". So, they plotted to kill him.

In spite of all of the miracles that Jesus did they could not believe in him. They said, "Is this not Josephs son? They just could not believe that he was their promised Messiah. They thought that their promised Messiah would accept them, but instead Jesus rejected them, after that it didn't matter who he was, he had to go.
There is much to be learned in Jesus's relationship with the Pharisees. It is very apparent that being religious is not going to make anyone friends with God, if anything religion will make one an enemy with God. The Pharisees were proud arrogant fools that thought that they could earn God's favor by the works of the law. Paul said, "By the deeds of the law no flesh shall be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20. Yet multitudes are still trying to be justified by the deeds of the law, just like the Pharisees.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think some of them believed he was an anti-christ. And they found his teaching blasphemous.
So in their eyes they were protecting God's integrity.
Then there were some that were waiting for a military king that would conquer Rome and set them free from tyranny.
Then there were others that were on the side of Ceasar, and was afraid of losing their standing.

Lots of things going on at the same time, and most of it political.
Maybe it's not so much about religion as it was they didn't have their heart in it. They surely had no faith in it, for if they had, there wouldn't have been so many sickly among them.
It was their job to look after the people, the sheep. But all they really did was look after their pockets.

Hypocrites. They say they believe one thing and then do exactly the opposite.
The world is filled with them.

Hugs

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think some of them believed he was an anti-christ. And they found his teaching blasphemous.
So in their eyes they were protecting God's integrity.
Then there were some that were waiting for a military king that would conquer Rome and set them free from tyranny.
Then there were others that were on the side of Ceasar, and was afraid of losing their standing.

Lots of things going on at the same time, and most of it political.
Maybe it's not so much about religion as it was they didn't have their heart in it. They surely had no faith in it, for if they had, there wouldn't have been so many sickly among them.
It was their job to look after the people, the sheep. But all they really did was look after their pockets.

Hypocrites. They say they believe one thing and then do exactly the opposite.
The world is filled with them.

Hugs
After what Jesus said to the Pharisees in the 23rd chapter of Matthew they had no choice other than to kill him. Hypocrites hate to be exposed for what they are, Jesus exposed them completely.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No different than today. Just the costumes have changed.

And I tell you what, Governments don't like to be called hypocrites either. And sometimes they turn on their own citizens.
Hard times ahead.
Trust God.
Hugs

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No different than today. Just the costumes have changed.

And I tell you what, Governments don't like to be called hypocrites either. And sometimes they turn on their own citizens.
Hard times ahead.
Trust God.
Hugs
This is the age of hypocrisy. You can't trust or believe anything.