Jesus Commands Trust and Love, not the Mosaic Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:21-24 KJV
21) Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
22) And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23) And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24) And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Simplicity itself!

Galatians 5:13-14 KJV
13) For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14) For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Believe the Word!

Galatians 4:9 KJV
9) But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
1 John 3:21-24 KJV
21) Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
22) And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23) And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24) And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Simplicity itself!

Galatians 5:13-14 KJV
13) For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14) For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Believe the Word!

Galatians 4:9 KJV
9) But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Much love!
@marks Good post...

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus' Commandments are God's Commandments (the 10). Jesus is God.

What did Jesus die on the Cross for if we have no Law to break to begin with, which is the definition of Sin.
1 John 3:4

Sin = Lawlessness (the breaking of the Law [10 Commandments])

If we didn't have it before Jesus died, and the Law was nailed to the Cross (which is incorrect), then why did Paul keep all the 10 Commandments all his life and Ministry, and teach others to do the same?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Commands Trust and Love, not the Mosaic Law
OP^

Yes.
And EVEN THAT...
The TWO commands are POSSIBLE for the Converted, Expressly Because His Power is "WITH and most Importantly...
"IN" a Converted man.

While Jesus did not DESTROY the (Mosaic) Law, and Jews who wish to continue Under the Law....MAY do so. They have a conundrum...
No Temple in Israel for Forgiveness Sacrifices.
And... they must hold strong to their Faith (endure), by their own strength, to receive their Salvation at physical death...
Because they refuse Jesus' Offering of Salvation NOW, and His Power IN them...to KEEP assured Salvation.
(Well that applies to a large portion of Jews....some are accepting, calling themselves Messanic Jews...)
Praise God.

Glory to God,
Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus' Commandments are God's Commandments (the 10). Jesus is God.

What did Jesus die on the Cross for if we have no Law to break to begin with, which is the definition of Sin.
1 John 3:4

Sin = Lawlessness (the breaking of the Law [10 Commandments])

If we didn't have it before Jesus died, and the Law was nailed to the Cross (which is incorrect), then why did Paul keep all the 10 Commandments all his life and Ministry, and teach others to do the same?

1 Corinthians 9:19-21 KJV
19) For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20) And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21) To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

Much love!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The punishment for the breaking of God's law was nailed to the cross. His holy law is eternal and like Him, does not change.
However, He is our faithful Father, and will, if necessary, discipline us. He is able to do whatever is necessary to correct us. He is loving in all His ways, and desires long-term good for us. In my opinion.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Mosaic Law was nailed to the Cross.

The Ten Commandments of God/Jesus were not.

the handwritting of ordinances that was against us . . .

13063_155272b28df4e6c70e1750bf0575ea65.png

Erasing the handwriting to the decrees against us which was hostile to us, and has taken it out of the middle nailing it to the cross.

This handwriting . . .

Cheirographon . . .

The phrase "handwriting of requirements" is translated from the Greek phrase cheirographon tois dogmasin. Cheirographon means anything written by hand, but can more specifically apply to a legal document, bond, or note of debt. Dogmasin refers to decrees, laws, or ordinances, and in this context means a body of beliefs or practices that have become the guidelines governing a person's conduct or way of life.

What Paul is saying is that, by His death, Christ has justified us—brought us into alignment with His Law—and wiped out the note of guilt or debt that we owed as a result of our sins.

What the Bible says about Cheirographon

This term means record of debts or promissory note. This note makes reference to God’s pronouncement that the note which testifies against us is cancelled. In Judaism, God keeps and account of man’s debt (through angels and the imposition of penalties). In the heavenly book of debts, the angels of the Lord write the good work of the righteous. The angels of the accusor write all the sins of man. God has forgiven sins. He has cancelled the note of indebtedness by taking it and fixing to the cross of Christ. Christ’s crucifixion has essentially taken away our sins.

[Greek] χειρόγραφον (cheirographon), [Latin] manuscriptus – Resounding The Faith

CHEIROGRAPHON - The List Of Our Crimes

It is called a “certificate of debt” at Kolossians 2. Debt is sin.

Cheirographon is Greek, literally meaning "handwriting."

The cheirographon is a legal term cited at Kolossians 2:14 - is a list of accusations/crimes against a defendant. It’s a list of our sins, also referred to at Kolossians 2 as the CERTIFICATE OF DEBT.

It was taken away (blotted-out) and nailed to the tree, because the cheirographon is the list of our SINS (accusations).

They were atoned for through the veil of Yahusha's flesh which was nailed to the tree, covered by the blood of the Lamb of Yahuah.

He became sin, the list of our crimes, the accusations, fell on Him instead of us. The Torah (what defines crime against love), the Ten Commandments, were not taken away or blotted-out.

The Commandments were not nailed to the tree, Yahusha was nailed there, having become sin for us all.

CHEIROGRAPHON

God nailed our debt of sin to the cross, blotting it clean.

Philemon 1:18-19 KJV
18) If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account;
19) I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides.

Much love!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
the handwritting of ordinances that was against us . . .

13063_155272b28df4e6c70e1750bf0575ea65.png

Erasing the handwriting to the decrees against us which was hostile to us, and has taken it out of the middle nailing it to the cross.

This handwriting . . .

Cheirographon . . .

The phrase "handwriting of requirements" is translated from the Greek phrase cheirographon tois dogmasin. Cheirographon means anything written by hand, but can more specifically apply to a legal document, bond, or note of debt. Dogmasin refers to decrees, laws, or ordinances, and in this context means a body of beliefs or practices that have become the guidelines governing a person's conduct or way of life.

What Paul is saying is that, by His death, Christ has justified us—brought us into alignment with His Law—and wiped out the note of guilt or debt that we owed as a result of our sins.

What the Bible says about Cheirographon

This term means record of debts or promissory note. This note makes reference to God’s pronouncement that the note which testifies against us is cancelled. In Judaism, God keeps and account of man’s debt (through angels and the imposition of penalties). In the heavenly book of debts, the angels of the Lord write the good work of the righteous. The angels of the accusor write all the sins of man. God has forgiven sins. He has cancelled the note of indebtedness by taking it and fixing to the cross of Christ. Christ’s crucifixion has essentially taken away our sins.

[Greek] χειρόγραφον (cheirographon), [Latin] manuscriptus – Resounding The Faith

CHEIROGRAPHON - The List Of Our Crimes

It is called a “certificate of debt” at Kolossians 2. Debt is sin.

Cheirographon is Greek, literally meaning "handwriting."

The cheirographon is a legal term cited at Kolossians 2:14 - is a list of accusations/crimes against a defendant. It’s a list of our sins, also referred to at Kolossians 2 as the CERTIFICATE OF DEBT.

It was taken away (blotted-out) and nailed to the tree, because the cheirographon is the list of our SINS (accusations).

They were atoned for through the veil of Yahusha's flesh which was nailed to the tree, covered by the blood of the Lamb of Yahuah.

He became sin, the list of our crimes, the accusations, fell on Him instead of us. The Torah (what defines crime against love), the Ten Commandments, were not taken away or blotted-out.

The Commandments were not nailed to the tree, Yahusha was nailed there, having become sin for us all.

CHEIROGRAPHON

God nailed our debt of sin to the cross, blotting it clean.

Much love!
Yeah, that's what I mean! Lol

Reactions: marks

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus and all the Apostles Commanded All the 10 Commandments.

New Testament

First Commandment -- Matthew 4:10; Luke 4:8; Revelation 14:7
Second Commandment -- John 4:23; Acts 15:20; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-20; Ephesians 5:5; Colossians 3:5
Third Commandment -- Matthew 5:33-37; 1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7; 5:12
Fourth Commandment -- Luke 4:16; 23:55-56; Acts 17:1-2; 18:4; Hebrews 4:9; 1 John 2:6
Fifth Commandment -- Matthew 15:4-9; 19:19; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 1:29-30; Ephesians 6:1-3
Sixth Commandment -- Matthew 5:21-22; 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 1:29-30; 13:9
Seventh Commandment -- Matthew 5:27-28; 19:18; Mark 10:11-12, 19; Luke 16:18; 18:20; Romans 7:2-3; 13:9
Eighth Commandment -- Matthew 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 13:9; Ephesians 4:28; 1 Peter 4:15; Revelation 9:21
Ninth Commandment -- Matthew 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Acts 5:3-4; Romans 13:9; Ephesians 4:25
10th Commandment -- Luke 12:15; Romans 1:29; 7:7; 13:9; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21; Ephesians 5:3, 5

Reactions: Iconoclast

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus and all the Apostles Commanded All the 10 Commandments.

New Testament

First Commandment -- Matthew 4:10; Luke 4:8; Revelation 14:7
Second Commandment -- John 4:23; Acts 15:20; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-20; Ephesians 5:5; Colossians 3:5
Third Commandment -- Matthew 5:33-37; 1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7; 5:12
Fourth Commandment -- Luke 4:16; 23:55-56; Acts 17:1-2; 18:4; Hebrews 4:9; 1 John 2:6
Fifth Commandment -- Matthew 15:4-9; 19:19; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 1:29-30; Ephesians 6:1-3
Sixth Commandment -- Matthew 5:21-22; 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 1:29-30; 13:9
Seventh Commandment -- Matthew 5:27-28; 19:18; Mark 10:11-12, 19; Luke 16:18; 18:20; Romans 7:2-3; 13:9
Eighth Commandment -- Matthew 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 13:9; Ephesians 4:28; 1 Peter 4:15; Revelation 9:21
Ninth Commandment -- Matthew 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Acts 5:3-4; Romans 13:9; Ephesians 4:25
10th Commandment -- Luke 12:15; Romans 1:29; 7:7; 13:9; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21; Ephesians 5:3, 5
I'm curious . . . do you keep them all as they are meant to be kept?

Do you keep them because you are required to keep law, or because you understand them to be how you go about loving others? Or do you have a different reason.

What would happen to you should you fail to keep them as they are mean to be kept?

Does Paul write to tell us to not lie and steal because to do so would violate the Mosaic Law, or because we are to love, and doing those things is not love?

And why do you ignore the rest of the Law? Its a unit. If you fail to tithe your Cumin increase, you are a Lawbreaker, isn't that right?

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Marks,

Would like to share this scripture with you, and whoever else may be reading.

~~~~~~~
John 6:
22The next day, the crowd that had remained on the other side of the sea realized that only one boat had been there, and that Jesus had not boarded it with His disciples, but they had gone away alone.

23However, some boats from Tiberias landed near the place where the people had eaten the bread after the Lord had given thanks.

24So when the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor His disciples were there, they got into the boats and went to Capernaum to look for Him.

25When they found Him on the other side of the sea, they asked Him, “Rabbi, when did You get here?”

26Jesus replied, “Truly, truly, I tell you, it is not because you saw these signs that you are looking for Me, but because you ate the loaves and had your fill.

27Do not work for food that perishes, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on Him God the Father has placed His seal of approval.”

28Then they inquired, “What must we do to perform the works of God?

29Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That work mention is the work of Faith -> Through Love because God is love; The spirit in us causes us to have love, forgiveness, mercy, patience, longsuffering, gentleness, joy, peace, which is from the wisdom from above that is pure. (James 3:15-18)

Thank you for your time and reading,
With love in Christ,
Matthew G.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That work mention is the work of Faith -> Through Love because God is love; The spirit in us causes us to have love, forgiveness, mercy, patience, longsuffering, gentleness, joy, peace, which is from the wisdom from above that is pure. (James 3:15-18)
Sometimes just to trust, and not to try to take over, is the hardest thing of all!

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Marks,

What does what you said to me mean to you?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Marks,

What does what you said to me mean to you?
It can be labor to enter His rest.

The people came to Jesus asking what do we do to do the works of God?

We can feel more in control if there are things we have to do, and we are doing them. But if everything is left to the control of another, to God, then we have to just sit on our hands forcing ourselves to not get in His way, by trying to make something happen the way I think it should, or when I think it should.

We can want to change our circumstances, and try very hard to do so, while God intends our circumstances to change us as we trust Him.

Much love!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm curious . . . do you keep them all as they are meant to be kept?
Well, that's debatable seeing as how some believe they don't mean what they say. Fortunately for me, I don't get into those particular debates because they're nonsense. God wrote them plain and simple, in stone, with His own finger. That's what I keep.
Do you keep them because you are required to keep law, or because you understand them to be how you go about loving others? Or do you have a different reason.
Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My Commandments."... and ... "You are My friends if you do what I command you." John 14:15 & 15:14.
What would happen to you should you fail to keep them as they are mean to be kept?
The Holy Spirit convicts you in your heart if you step out of line in striving to obey the 10 Commandments. You will know it. It is very unpleasant; enough so to correct you right quick. If you continue to do so habitually, you will not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

"Every branch in Me that beareth not fruit (does not continue in My Way), the Father taketh away: ... If a man abide not in Me (does not continue in My Way), he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."
John 15:2, 6

ETA: The 10 Commandments ARE God's Way.
Does Paul write to tell us to not lie and steal because to do so would violate the Mosaic Law, or because we are to love, and doing those things is not love?
The 10 Commandments are not the Mosaic Law. Paul wasn't concerned with the Mosaic Law. He practiced, and taught, the 10 Commandments.
And why do you ignore the rest of the Law? Its a unit. If you fail to tithe your Cumin increase, you are a Lawbreaker, isn't that right?
Wrong. The Mosaic Law was nailed to the Cross. The 10 Commandments were not.

The most important thing to know about all this is that God wrote the 10 Commandments IN STONE.

He did NOT write ANY of the Mosaic Laws in stone. There is a very important reason for this.

Reckon God knew what He was doing?

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Gen2Rev: Have you ever heard or seen this before?

https://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201407/r1308729_17984331.pdf

There are 1,050 New Testament Commands.

May very well be true.

As I've already shown, the 10 Commandments are undoubtedly among them.

Your Christian experience is much like the vast majority of modern mainstream Christians of today. Somewhere along the way, somebody told you that, to be a Christian and get to heaven, you don't have to do ANYTHING. Nothing at ALL. All you have to do is believe in Jesus ... and you can live your life any old way you like and end up in the Holy of Holies when all is said and done.

You have latched onto that and now, any suggestion that you may have to take some real responsibility as a Christian is abhorrent to you. You simply cannot, no - will not, accept such a notion and anybody who says or believes otherwise is a fool. A sorry fool that will ... somehow ... end up in hell for doing too much for Jesus and trying too hard to please Him and living too righteously. And before you go there with the Pharisees and Sadducees, they weren't living righteously at all. They were frauds. That is not what I am speaking of.

That's a shame. Those who passionately love God, seek for ways to please Him every day and actually desire to obey ALL of His 10 Commandments because they are so utterly grateful that He loves them and want to do anything to be right with Him.

Those who don't feel that way, do just the opposite.