Jesus did not come to tame the flesh. He came to crucify it.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The offensive part of the gospel of grace is this: We contribute nothing. If fact, where we continue to strive in the flesh and what obedience we can squeeze out of the flesh, adds absolutely nothing, but instead is in total opposition of Christ. Relying on the flesh and what the flesh can do is in constant opposition of the freedom found only in Christ.

(Matthew 11: 28-30) “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take on my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Easy enough. Stop laboring. Stop striving in the flesh.

Luke 14:26 says, “If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethern, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.”

Do you hate your sin? Do you see the sin in the world, in loved ones around you, and in yourself? Are you to the point where sin is so repulsive that you can no longer see how life could ever hold any real peace or joy? Has your zeal for life gone because you no longer care to participate in the very things you once thrived on: Having a decent job that paid well. Having a nice home. Saving for your retirement. Saving for health insurance. Even the occasional sharing who Jesus is and what He has done with family, a family that now looks at you as if you have been stricken by some mental illness. Has doing the dance like the rest of the world lost its appeal, leaving you to wonder:

Where is peace, love, and joy?

Christ said, “Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.”

Life can lose its appeal but God can and will give us peace, love, and joy. Notice the fruits of the spirit come from the spirit and not the flesh. The flesh brings no joy. With the flesh only comes condemnation and suffering. The very things that drains life.

But Jesus said His yoke is light.

I have struggled for the longest time with Hebrews 12 and the sin that besets us. Beset is defined as: to attack on all sides; harass: to be beset by enemies; to surround; hem in. In Hebrews, we are told, “Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.”

Peaceable fruit of righteousness? Can our flesh be righteous? Can it produce righteousness? So is God chastening us to produce something out of the flesh, or to drive us to our knees in repentance and admittance that His son is the ONLY WAY? Do we continue to hold back an area of our life, still striving to overcome in that area on our own, rather than submitting that sin and agreeing with God it is too big for the flesh to do, until every sin is subjected to Christ saving power.

Until Christ has all.

A sin that besets is a sin that drags us away from the God’s grace and forgiveness back into shame and blame. It is that sin that keeps telling us we are unworthy of forgiveness. It is that sin that drags us outside of grace time and time again because the flesh is determined to beat it. It is also that sin that God uses to force us to our knees in submission, admitting Jesus is the only way. The sin that besets is not what keeps us laying aside the weight and moving forward under grace, but our constant rejection of mercy, grace and forgiveness. We return to our own flesh time and time again, and begin anew, a work-in-progress to overcome the sin ourselves.

The Lord is jealous ( a righteous jealousy) and will not share His glory with what “our flesh” can accomplish. As long as we strive with the flesh, God will again and again force us upon our knees in submission until every sin is put under the saving work of His son. The only way we can be righteous is in Jesus. The flesh will not suffice. How can you remove a log from your eye before you can remove the speck from your brothers? How can a man be righteous so that his fervent prayer availeth much? How can a sinner be righteous? There is only one way. You put on Christ. It is not by your obedience in the flesh but by submission to the work of the Spirit in and through us.

(Ephesians 4: 24) “And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”

Once we surrender to the Lord. We become unprofitable servants. The flesh can no longer boast or glory. What is done by the Spirit; all glory will be given to the Lord, because, it is the Lord's work and His work alone.

(Luke 17: 5-10) “And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.
And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.
But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.”

I never could understand this passage of scripture until I considered what it meant to be an unprofitable servant. The flesh profits nothing. Everything done through the Spirit is the work of the Lord and no longer profits my flesh in any way. The flesh can no longer glory or boast. The glory is Christ’s and Christ’s alone. We contribute nothing.

Bring every sin under the subjection of the Lord until He has every area.

Until the Lord has all. Every rebellious against-God part of the flesh!

They will come, those that are determined to see you pick back up that weight you laid at Christ feet and convince you to squeeze a little more effort out of the flesh. When you surrender that sin to the redemptive power of Christ, the flesh no longer has anything to do with freeing you from it. It is all on the Lord. And that is the beautiful freedom found in the Lord. He does the work. The beauty is, when it is all over you will be able to say:

The flesh profited nothing.

It was all you, Jesus. ALL YOU!

Glory be to Christ!

(Galatians 5:1) “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.”

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truly, believers that live by keeping their commitment to follow Christ or to keep any promises to God in living as His, need to call on Jesus Christ to free them from the vanity of resorting to their own power in following Him so they can surrender, rest in Him & all His promises to us to help us to follow Him. It is when we cease to do the best we can and lean on Him ALL the Time for living as His is ho we get to know Him & the power of His resurrection when we see ourselves following Him by the grace of God and His help as our personal Good Shepherd.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

We deny ourselves as able to save ourselves from which we trust Jesus Christ as our Saviour that we are saved simply by believing in Him and so in the same voice, we deny ourselves as able to follow Him from which we trust Jesus Christ as our Good Shepherd that He will help us to follow Him by the same grace of God.

Picking up the cross daily in acknowledging our total dependence on Him is how any one can follow Him by trusting Him as our Good Shepherd.

Galatians 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain. 3:1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

Galatians 5:1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage....5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ.9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ.11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.........8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Psalm 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

It is really all Jesus. That is His glory in Heaven as it should be down here in worship as well as in testimony. So let us decrease so that He may increase wherein others will hear of our hope in Jesus Christ for all things and cease from looking to themselves in doing the best they can by their trying to keep those promises to do so. They need to surrender to trust Him to help them follow Him.

Let our light so shine of our faith in Jesus Christ, and we need His help to do even that. Amen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sword

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The cross is teh ending of us and teh beggining of Him, that is where we lay down our lives so He can resurect into His Glory, it where teh path becomes narrow and we are alive with Him.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would word the subject line differently.
I believe Jesus gave us the Holy Spirit so that we can crucify the flesh. He doesn't 'do it' for us, He did it before us..and showed us the way. He now empowers us to follow in His steps and lay down our own life at His feet ,so that on the last day He can raise us up, in Him.
Interesting thread :)