Jesus in the Old Testament

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
We have all read the O.T. and have seen Jesus there.
Where?

Jesus is the Ark of Noah.
He saved Noah's family.
He brought them safely to land.
He kept them till the rain stopped.
They were abiding on the ark.

Where else?

Reactions: pastorjagan

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • Moses interceded for the Israelites when they corrupted themselves and worshipped a golden calf. In Exodus 32:32 Moses offered his own life on behalf of the people. Such was his love for them that he was prepared to take their guilt upon himself and to die for them.
  • Jesus interceded for the whole of humankind, utterly corrupted and gone astray as we were. Jesus actually did lay down His life on behalf of humankind. Such is His love for us that He did take our sin and guilt upon Himself and was offered to God in our place
  • In due course Moses came up out of Egypt and spent 40 years in the wilderness.
  • In due course Jesus also came up out of Egypt. He spent 40 days in the wilderness.
  • Moses was mediator of the Old Covenant of Law.
  • Jesus Christ is mediator of the New Covenant of Grace.
“For the law was given through Moses but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” John 1:17

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
MOSES .....JESUS
An evil king/Pharaoh tried to kill him as a baby: Exodus 1:22 King Herod tried to kill baby Jesus: Matthew 2:16

He was hidden from the evil king/Pharaoh: Exodus 2:2
An angel said to hide the child from the evil King Herod: Matthew 2:13

Moses was sent into Egypt to preserve his life: Exodus 2:3-4
Jesus was taken into Egypt to preserve His life: Matthew 2:13-15

He was saved by women: his mother: Exodus 2:3;
Miriam Exodus 2:4;

Pharaoh's daughter Exodus 2:5-10 Saved and helped by His mother, Mary: Matthew 2:14

Pharaoh's daughter adopted Moses: Exodus 2:10
Joseph adopted Jesus: Matthew 1:25

Moses became a prince of Egypt: Exodus 2:10
Jesus is the Prince of Peace: Isaiah 9:5;Matthew 28:18; Luke 2:14

Long period of silence from childhood to adulthood
Long period of silence from childhood to adulthood

Moses had a secret identity Messianic secret =
Jesus the Son of God

He tried to save a Hebrew kinsman: Exodus 2:11-12
Jesus came to save His Hebrew kinsman first: Mark 7:26-28

Went from being a prince to a pauper: Exodus 2:15-19
Went from being God to being man: John 1:1-3; Mark 6:3

Saved women at a well: Exodus 2:15-19
Saved a woman at a well: John chapter 4

Became a shepherd: Exodus 3:1
He is the Good Shepherd: John 10:11

Moses' mission was to redeem Israel from slavery to Egypt
Jesus' mission is to redeem mankind from slavery to sin

Moses was loved and supported in his ministry by his sister Miriam [in Hebrew, Miryam]
Jesus was loved and supported in his ministry by His mother Mary [in Hebrew, Miryam]

He was often rejected by his own people
Jesus was often rejected by His own people

Moses will give God's law on the mountain of Sinai: Exodus 20:1-31:18; 34:1-35
Jesus will give the new law from the Mt. of Beatitudes: Matthew chapter 5

Moses spent 40 days fasting on the mountain: Exodus24:18; 34:28 Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the desert wilderness: Matthew 4:2

Moses performs signs/ miracles
Jesus performs signs/miracles

Moses offered his life for the salvation of his people after the sin of the Golden Calf: Exodus 32:32-33
Jesus offered His life for the salvation of the world: Isaiah 53:12; Romans 5:12; 6:10; 2 Corinthians 5:15-21; Colossians 1:19-20; 2:14-15; 1 John 1:7; 2:2; etc.

Moses is the prophet of the Old Covenant Church
Jesus is the prophet, priest, and King of a New and everlasting Covenant = the universal Catholic Church [note catholic means universal]

Michal Hunt, Copyright © 2003, revised 2005 Agape Bible Study. Permissions All Rights Reserved.

Reactions: Pisteuo

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GodsGrace, who is Aaron?

Exodus 4:30 KJV
[30] And Aaron spake all the words which the Lord had spoken unto Moses, and did the signs in the sight of the people.

Exodus 6:26 KJV
[26] These are that Aaron and Moses, to whom the Lord said, Bring out the children of Israel from the land of Egypt according to their armies.

Exodus 7:12 KJV
[12] For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.

Exodus 28:3 KJV
[3] And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

Exodus 28:12 KJV
[12] And thou shalt put the two stones upon the shoulders of the ephod for stones of memorial unto the children of Israel: and Aaron shall bear their names before the Lord upon his two shoulders for a memorial.

Exodus 28:38 KJV
[38] And it shall be upon Aaron's forehead, that Aaron may bear the iniquity of the holy things, which the children of Israel shall hallow in all their holy gifts; and it shall be always upon his forehead, that they may be accepted before the Lord .

Exodus 29:4 KJV
[4] And Aaron and his sons thou shalt bring unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and shalt wash them with water.

Exodus 30:19 KJV
[19] For Aaron and his sons shall wash their hands and their feet thereat:

Exodus 32:25 KJV
[25] And when Moses saw that the people were naked; (for Aaron had made them naked unto their shame among their enemies

Leviticus 7:33 KJV
[33] He among the sons of Aaron, that offereth the blood of the peace offerings, and the fat, shall have the right shoulder for his part.

Leviticus 16:23 KJV
[23] And Aaron shall come into the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall put off the linen garments, which he put on when he went into the holy place , and shall leave them there:

Numbers 4:5 KJV
[5] And when the camp setteth forward, Aaron shall come, and his sons, and they shall take down the covering vail, and cover the ark of testimony with it:

Leviticus 16:9 KJV
[9] And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the Lord's lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering.

Exodus 29:29 KJV
[29] And the holy garments of Aaron shall be his sons' after him, to be anointed therein, and to be consecrated in them.

Exodus 16:33-34 KJV
[33] And Moses said unto Aaron, Take a pot, and put an omer full of manna therein, and lay it up before the Lord , to be kept for your generations. [34] As the Lord commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept.

Numbers 16:36-37 KJV
[36] And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, [37] Speak unto Eleazar (spirit)the son of Aaron the priest, that he take up the censers out of the burning, and scatter thou the fire yonder; for they are hallowed.

Numbers 20:25-28 KJV

[25] Take Aaron and Eleazar his son, and bring them up unto mount Hor: [26] And strip Aaron of his garments, and put them upon Eleazar his son: and Aaron shall be gathered unto his people , and shall die there. [27] And Moses did as the Lord commanded: and they went up into mount Hor in the sight of all the congregation. [28] And Moses stripped Aaron of his garments, and put them upon Eleazar(spirit)his son; and Aaron died there in the top of the mount: and Moses and Eleazar came down from the mount.

And Joshua lead them into the promise land. It would be safe to also say: the ark of the testimony is also Christ(the LORD;God)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Old Testament Jesus:
Jesus Christ swallowed down the bitter water that should have been the woman's to drink. The woman should have been found guilty. Instead, He(Jesus) took the guilty woman's place; Therefore blotting out her curses.

Numbers 5:21-24 KJV
[21] Then the priest shall charge the woman with an oath of cursing, and the priest shall say unto the woman, The Lord make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the Lord doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell; [22] And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen. [23] And the priest shall write these curses in a book, and he shall blot them out with the bitter water: [24] And he shall cause the woman to drink the bitter water that causeth the curse: and the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter.

If the woman is found innocent:
[28] And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed.

Numbers 30:13-15 KJV

[13] Every vow, and every binding oath to afflict the soul, her husband may establish it, or her husband may make it void. [14] But if her husband altogether hold his peace at her from day to day; then he establisheth all her vows, or all her bonds, which are upon her: he confirmeth them, because he held his peace at her in the day that he heard them . [15] But if he shall any ways make them void after that he hath heard them ; then he shall bear her iniquity.

HE(Jesus Christ; God in the flesh)is that which makes the bitter sweet and takes away the curse. By taking the place of the woman.

Isaiah 38:17 KJV
[17] Behold, for peace I had great bitterness: but thou hast in love to my soul delivered it from the pit of corruption: for thou hast cast all my sins behind thy back.

Lamentations 3:15 KJV
[15] He hath filled me with bitterness, he hath made me drunken with wormwood.

Exodus 15:23-25 KJV
[23] And when they came to Marah, they could not drink of the waters of Marah, for they were bitter: therefore the name of it was called Marah. [24] And the people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink? [25] And he cried unto the Lord ; and the Lord shewed him a tree, which when he had cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet: there he made for them a statute and an ordinance, and there he proved them,

Song of Songs 4:11 KJV
[11] Thy lips, O my spouse, drop as the honeycomb: honey and milk are under thy tongue; and the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon.

Proverbs 27:5-7 KJV
[5] Open rebuke is better than secret love. [6] Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. [7] The full soul loatheth an honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.

I am sorry, you asked. There is no place where Christ is NOT seen in the OT.

Reactions: Helen and GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
GodsGrace, who is Aaron?

Exodus 4:30 KJV
[30] And Aaron spake all the words which the Lord had spoken unto Moses, and did the signs in the sight of the people.

Exodus 6:26 KJV
[26] These are that Aaron and Moses, to whom the Lord said, Bring out the children of Israel from the land of Egypt according to their armies.

Exodus 7:12 KJV
[12] For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.

Exodus 28:3 KJV
[3] And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

Exodus 28:12 KJV
[12] And thou shalt put the two stones upon the shoulders of the ephod for stones of memorial unto the children of Israel: and Aaron shall bear their names before the Lord upon his two shoulders for a memorial.

Exodus 28:38 KJV
[38] And it shall be upon Aaron's forehead, that Aaron may bear the iniquity of the holy things, which the children of Israel shall hallow in all their holy gifts; and it shall be always upon his forehead, that they may be accepted before the Lord .

Exodus 29:4 KJV
[4] And Aaron and his sons thou shalt bring unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and shalt wash them with water.

Exodus 30:19 KJV
[19] For Aaron and his sons shall wash their hands and their feet thereat:

Exodus 32:25 KJV
[25] And when Moses saw that the people were naked; (for Aaron had made them naked unto their shame among their enemies

Leviticus 7:33 KJV
[33] He among the sons of Aaron, that offereth the blood of the peace offerings, and the fat, shall have the right shoulder for his part.

Leviticus 16:23 KJV
[23] And Aaron shall come into the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall put off the linen garments, which he put on when he went into the holy place , and shall leave them there:

Numbers 4:5 KJV
[5] And when the camp setteth forward, Aaron shall come, and his sons, and they shall take down the covering vail, and cover the ark of testimony with it:

Leviticus 16:9 KJV
[9] And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the Lord's lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering.

Exodus 29:29 KJV
[29] And the holy garments of Aaron shall be his sons' after him, to be anointed therein, and to be consecrated in them.

Exodus 16:33-34 KJV
[33] And Moses said unto Aaron, Take a pot, and put an omer full of manna therein, and lay it up before the Lord , to be kept for your generations. [34] As the Lord commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept.

Numbers 16:36-37 KJV
[36] And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, [37] Speak unto Eleazar (spirit)the son of Aaron the priest, that he take up the censers out of the burning, and scatter thou the fire yonder; for they are hallowed.

Numbers 20:25-28 KJV

[25] Take Aaron and Eleazar his son, and bring them up unto mount Hor: [26] And strip Aaron of his garments, and put them upon Eleazar his son: and Aaron shall be gathered unto his people , and shall die there. [27] And Moses did as the Lord commanded: and they went up into mount Hor in the sight of all the congregation. [28] And Moses stripped Aaron of his garments, and put them upon Eleazar(spirit)his son; and Aaron died there in the top of the mount: and Moses and Eleazar came down from the mount.

And Joshua lead them into the promise land. It would be safe to also say: the ark of the testimony is also Christ(the LORD;God)
Who is Aaron you ask.

He was a High Priest.
High Priests were a connection between man and God.
There were rules a High Priest had to meet.
I think one had to be 26, but not sure.
He offered sacrifices to God Father. LORD.

Jesus met all of the above requirements.
He was the last sacrifice because it was perfect.
No longer did one have to be a high priest to enter into the Holy of Holies.
Now everyone could enter.
The veil has been torn from top to bottom.
Mathew 27:51

I believe the High Priest used to put bread on the altar of the Tabernacle. Jesus is the bread of life.

There must be so much more.

Please correct errors...

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is Aaron you ask.

He was a High Priest.
High Priests were a connection between man and God.
There were rules a High Priest had to meet.
I think one had to be 26, but not sure.
He offered sacrifices to God Father. LORD.

Jesus met all of the above requirements.
He was the last sacrifice because it was perfect.
No longer did one have to be a high priest to enter into the Holy of Holies.
Now everyone could enter.
The veil has been torn from top to bottom.
Mathew 27:51

I believe the High Priest used to put bread on the altar of the Tabernacle. Jesus is the bread of life.

There must be so much more.

Please correct errors...

Zechariah 3:1-4 KJV
[1] And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord , and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. [2] And the Lord said unto Satan, The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan; even the Lord that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire? [3] Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel. [4] And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Zechariah 3:1-4 KJV
[1] And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord , and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. [2] And the Lord said unto Satan, The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan; even the Lord that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire? [3] Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel. [4] And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.
This makes me think of the Wedding Banquet, Mathew 22.
The guests had to be wearing the proper clothing.
Also, Jesus is our cover...We are clothed with Him.
Romans 13:14
Galatians 3:27

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember when Adam and Eve did the first sin in the Garden of Good and Evil. God was sending Jesus before the first sin hit the floor.

Reactions: Helen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP, start at Genesis 1:1 and one will find JESUS

@GG, in post #8 you gave many of the similarities between Moses and the Lord Jesus I posted in another topic as to the two witness. good list there. but....... an ERROR on Melchizedek,
Melchizidek, easy.
He was a High Priest.
no he was not, he was a priest, to the "MOST HIGH" GOD, not a High Priest himself. so that's not our Lord Jesus there.

but you did real Good on that List of Moses and the Lord Jesus.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Addressing the OP, start at Genesis 1:1 and one will find JESUS

@GG, in post #8 you gave many of the similarities between Moses and the Lord Jesus I posted in another topic as to the two witness. good list there. but....... an ERROR on Melchizedek,

no he was not, he was a priest, to the "MOST HIGH" GOD, not a High Priest himself. so that's not our Lord Jesus there.

but you did real Good on that List of Moses and the Lord Jesus.
HI 101

I'm posting this because it's what I learned about Melchizedek.

Hebrews 7:11-28New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Like Melchizedek
11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the peopleA)"> established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come,B)"> one in the order of Melchizedek,C)"> not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. 13 He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe,D)"> and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar.E)"> 14 For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah,F)"> and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests. 15 And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life. 17 For it is declared:

“You are a priest forever,
in the order of Melchizedek.”a]" data-fn="#fen-NIV-30082a">[a]G)">

18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and uselessH)"> 19 (for the law made nothing perfect),I)"> and a better hopeJ)"> is introduced, by which we draw near to God.K)">

20 And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath, 21 but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him:

“The Lord has sworn
and will not change his mind:L)">
‘You are a priest forever.’”b]" data-fn="#fen-NIV-30086b">[b]M)">

22 Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantor of a better covenant.N)">

23 Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; 24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.O)"> 25 Therefore he is able to saveP)"> completelyc]" data-fn="#fen-NIV-30090c">[c] those who come to GodQ)"> through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.R)">

26 Such a high priestS)"> truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners,T)"> exalted above the heavens.U)"> 27 Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrificesV)"> day after day, first for his own sins,W)"> and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for allX)"> when he offered himself.Y)"> 28 For the law appoints as high priests men in all their weakness;Z)"> but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son,AA)"> who has been made perfectAB)"> forever.

I also would like to post Genesis 14:18 for those reading along.

Genesis 14:18New American Standard Bible (NASB)
18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High.

The bread and wine remins me of Jesus being the Body and Blood in communion.