JESUS Said “Not One Jot Or Tittle” = Matthew 5;16-20

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miz KJV Only

Oct 20, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

*Definition of Jot:

A brief note or to write a short note.

*Definition of Tittle:

A tiny amount or a small written stroke, dot or point.

Matthew 5;16-20

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 16:15-17

And He said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God. The Law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the Law to fail.

Matthew 7:12

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the Law and the prophets.

Luke 24:40-47

And when He had thus spoken, He shewed them His hands and His feet. And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, He said unto them, Have ye here any meat? And they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. And He took it, and did eat before them. And He said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the Law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened He their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

John 15:22-25

If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin. He that hateth me hateth my Father also. If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their Law, They hated me without a cause.

AMEN

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think these are the modern day equivalent to a comma or period. In context, it means no qualification or clarification of the law will be set aside until all are fulfilled.

It’s a statement of divine commitment inspiring in todays morally declining society.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Greek, it reads, "not one 'iota'", which (in the uncial style used in the oldest manuscripts) looks like this:

Ι​

But the Torah was originally written in Hebrew, and Jesus was talking to Israelites. The Hebrew letter that usually gets transliterated to an iota is "yodh", which looks like this:

י

Both are the tiniest letters and are written with a single short stroke. Surprisingly, Jesus's metaphor works in either language. Coincidence? Or divine providence?

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

*Definition of Jot:

*Definition of Tittle:

Matthew 5;16-20

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

And He said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God. The Law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the Law to fail.

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the Law and the prophets.

And when He had thus spoken, He shewed them His hands and His feet. And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, He said unto them, Have ye here any meat? And they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. And He took it, and did eat before them. And He said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the Law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened He their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin. He that hateth me hateth my Father also. If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their Law, They hated me without a cause.

AMEN
In support of you definitions, the Hebrew letter yohdh is the smallest of the Hebrew alphabet. Correspondingly, the Greek letter iota is the smallest of the Greek alphabet. Since the Law of Moses was originally written and subsequently preserved in Hebrew, it is likely that Jesus was referring back to the Hebrew when he said that the “one jot…” (English translation for tiny bit or very small amount) “; and, “one tittle” (English translation for tiny bit or a small mark used in printing and writing).-Matthew 5:18.

The point that Jesus was making is that it would be more likely that heaven and earth would pass away than that the smallest detail of the Law would go unfulfilled.

Reactions: Ancient

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now that that's been said.... I've done this forum thing a long time now, and I've seen the Matthew 5:17-19 passage used to support the belief that Paul (and to a certain extent, Peter) was mistaken in teaching that Gentile followers of Christ Jesus need not keep those commandments in Torah that visibly differentiate Jew from Gentile, such as circumcision, the Kosher laws, Sabbath observance, and the Jewish festivals. At the very least, it says that Gentile Christians will be an inferior caste in God's Kingdom.

Not that I need to be worrying about my position in Jesus's Kingdom when I'm pretty close now to getting my sorry butt thrown out the gate.

Last edited:

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

*Definition of Jot:

*Definition of Tittle:

Matthew 5;16-20

AMEN

Dear Miz KJV Only,

Christ's words are "spirit" (John 6:63) and they carry meanings which are different than what man's wisdom teaches (1Cor 2:13).

This is certainly true with what Christ said in Mat 5:16-20. When Christ said that "For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law, till all be fulfilled".

So what is it that will be fulfilled? What is Christ referring to here?

This verse below states Christ's primary purpose which He is working to fulfill:

1John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.

The work of mankind's salvation is 100% the work of Christ. Mankind does not contribute to it.

Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one (Adam) judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one (Christ) the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

If mankind must do anything for their salvation, then it is not free. When Christ has fulfilled the mission His Father gave Him, this verse will be testified to be true:

1Tim 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; 4 who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Until that day arrives, the Law will remain in full force (not one jot or tittle will pass away).

Under the Law, the soul that sins must die:

Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Since all mankind has sinned, all mankind is "condemned already":

John 3:18 He (the child of God) that believeth on him is not condemned: but he (mankind) that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

The truths these verses teach are absolute. For mankind to be saved, we must be 'born again" prior to our destruction which the Law demands.

Christ came into the world to accomplish this new birth for mankind. He did not come to abolish the Law nor did He come to abolish the death that the Law demands we all must pay.

To accomplish this great work of mankind's salvation, Christ will come to every person who has ever lived. He will come to them "spiritually" at a time of His choosing; either in this age or the final age. When He comes, He will give each person a new birth prior to their final destruction which the Law demands.

For this new birth to occur, mankind must be given a new spiritual nature. Christ gives us this new spiritual nature when He pours out the Holy Spirit upon us (both Early & Latter Rains). Christ then uses His judgment to destroy the old spiritual nature. Once Christ has completed this change, the person is said to be converted and saved.

This is what these verses below are teaching:

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit, and with Fire: 12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Mat 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Isa 66:16 For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.

John 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Mankind's old spiritual nature (carnal nature) is represented by the symbol "Earth" (the Old Earth). The carnal mind of mankind is represented by the symbol "Heaven" (the Old Heaven). After the judgment of Christ is complete, mankind will have a new spiritual nature (the New Earth) and a new mind (the New Heaven). After this transformation takes place within a person, the Law will pass away for them because they are a new child of God who has never sinned.

This truth is taught in the story of the Woman Taken in Adultery in John 8:3-10.

When Christ's work of converting all mankind into children of God is complete, God will be "all in all" (1Cor 15:28). At that time, all mankind will be "born again" and the Law will have fully passed away. It can then be testified to be true that Christ is truly the Savior of the world.

Joe