Jesus says that "He is resurrection?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus says that "He is the resurrection", this is the young literal translation version below.

Joh 11:25 Jesus said to her, 'I am the rising again, and the life; he who is believing in me, even if he may die, shall live;

Joh 11:26 and every one who is living and believing in me shall not die—to the age;

Joh 11:27 believest thou this?' she saith to him, 'Yes, sir, I have believed that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming to the world.'

Joh 11:28 And these things having said, she went away, and called Mary her sister privately, saying, 'The Teacher is present, and doth call thee;'

Joh 11:29 she, when she heard, riseth up quickly, and doth come to him;

Joh 11:30 and Jesus had not yet come to the village, but was in the place where Martha met him;

Joh 11:31 the Jews, therefore, who were with her in the house, and were comforting her, having seen Mary that she rose up quickly and went forth, followed her, saying—'She doth go away to the tomb, that she may weep there.'

Joh 11:32 Mary, therefore, when she came where Jesus was, having seen him, fell at his feet, saying to him, 'Sir, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died;'

Joh 11:33 Jesus, therefore, when he saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her weeping, did groan in the spirit, and troubled himself, and he said,

Joh 11:34 'Where have ye laid him?' they say to him, 'Sir, come and see;'

Joh 11:35 Jesus wept.

Joh 11:36 The Jews, therefore, said, 'Lo, how he was loving him!'

Joh 11:37 and certain of them said, 'Was not this one, who did open the eyes of the blind man, able to cause that also this one might not have died?'

Joh 11:38 Jesus, therefore, again groaning in himself, cometh to the tomb, and it was a cave, and a stone was lying upon it,

Joh 11:39 Jesus saith, 'Take ye away the stone;' the sister of him who hath died—Martha—saith to him, 'Sir, already he stinketh, for he is four days dead;'

Joh 11:40 Jesus saith to her, 'Said I not to thee, that if thou mayest believe, thou shalt see the glory of God?'

Joh 11:41 They took away, therefore, the stone where the dead was laid, and Jesus lifted his eyes upwards, and said, 'Father, I thank Thee, that Thou didst hear me;

Joh 11:42 and I knew that Thou always dost hear me, but, because of the multitude that is standing by, I said it , that they may believe that Thou didst send me.'

Joh 11:43 And these things saying, with a loud voice he cried out, 'Lazarus, come forth;'

Joh 11:44 and he who died came forth, being bound feet and hands with grave-clothes, and his visage with a napkin was bound about; Jesus saith to them, 'Loose him, and suffer to go.'

Joh 11:45 Many, therefore, of the Jews who came unto Mary, and beheld what Jesus did, believed in him;
Joh 11:46 but certain of them went away unto the Pharisees, and told them what Jesus did;

Joh 11:47 the chief priests, therefore, and the Pharisees, gathered together a sanhedrim, and said, 'What may we do? because this man doth many signs?

Joh 11:48 if we may let him alone thus, all will believe in him; and the Romans will come, and will take away both our place and nation.'

Reactions: Patrick1966

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Gill commentary on verse John 11:25.

John 11:25​

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection and the life,.... Signifying, that he was able of himself to raise men from death to life, without asking it of his Father; and that he could do it now, as well as at the general resurrection; at which time Christ will be the efficient cause of it; and which will display both his omniscience and his omnipotence; as his resurrection is the earnest and pledge, and will be the model and exemplar of it. This is true of Christ, with regard to a spiritual resurrection, from a death of sin, to a life of grace; he is concerned both in the life itself, and in the resurrection to it: he is the meritorious and procuring cause of it; he died for his people, that they, being dead to sin, might live unto God, and unto righteousness: he is the author of it; he says unto them, when dead in sin, live; he speaks life into them: he commands it in them, and by his Spirit breathes into them the breath of spiritual life, and implants the principle of it in their souls; and he supports and maintains it by giving himself to them as the bread of life to feed upon, and by supplying them with grace continually; yea, he himself is their life; he lives in them, and their life is hid with him. It is owing to his resurrection, that they are begotten again to a lively hope, or are quickened, that has a virtual influence upon it; and it is not only the cause, but the exemplar of it. Saints, as they are planted together in the likeness of his death, so in the likeness of his resurrection: to which may be added, that it is his voice in the Gospel, attended with an almighty power, which is the means of quickening them, which they hear, and so live; and it is his image that is stamped upon them; and by his Spirit they are made to live, and to walk in newness of life.

He that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: believers in Christ die as well as others, though death is not a penal evil to them; its curse is removed, its sting is taken away, being satisfied for by Christ, and so becomes a blessing and privilege to them, and is desirable by them; but though they die, they shall live again; their dust is under the peculiar care of Christ; and they shall rise by virtue of union to him, and shall rise, first in the morning of the resurrection, and with peculiar privileges, or to the resurrection of life, and with the peculiar properties of incorruption, power, glory, and spirituality. So likewise such that have been dead in sin, and dead in law, under a sentence of condemnation, as all mankind are in Adam, and being in a natural and sinful estate, and as the chosen of God themselves are; yet being brought to believe in Christ, that is, to see the excellency and suitableness of him as a Saviour, and the necessity of salvation by him; to go out of themselves to him, disclaiming their own righteousness; venture their souls upon him, give up themselves to him, trust in him, and depend upon him for eternal life and salvation; these live spiritually; they appear to have a principle of life in them; they breathe after spiritual things; they see the Son of God, and behold his glory; they handle the word of life; they speak the language of Canaan, and walk by faith on Christ, as they have received him; they live a life of sanctification and justification; they are manifestly in Christ, and have him, an interest in him, and so must have life; they live comfortably; they live by faith on Christ, and his righteousness, and have communion with him here, and expect to have, and shall have eternal life hereafter.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Gill 11:26

And whosoever liveth and believeth in me,..... Whoever will be found alive at Christ's second coming, and is a believer in him,

shall never die, but shall be changed, and shall be for ever with Christ; and such as shall be raised to life by him, shall never die any more, not even a bodily death, and much less an eternal one, or the second death: and though believers die a corporeal death as others do, yet their souls live, and live in happiness, whilst their bodies are under the power of death; nor shall they always continue so, but being raised, shall become immortal, and die no more. So living believers in Christ shall never die more a spiritual death; they are passed from death to life, and shall never return to death more; their spiritual life cannot be lost; grace in them is an immortal seed, a well of living water springing up into everlasting life: grace may be very low in its exercise, and may seem to be ready to die; they may be in lifeless frames, and without the comforts of a spiritual life, and be under the hidings of God's face, which is as death unto them, and may reckon themselves as free among the dead; yet the principle of life will never be extinct in them; nor shall they die the second death, which lies in an eternal separation from God, and in an everlasting sense of his wrath; that shall have no power on them, nor shall they be in the least hurt by it; for they are ordained to eternal life, and have the promise of it; they are united to Christ, and their life is secured in him; and he has redeemed them from death; and they have the Spirit of life dwelling in them, as the pledge and earnest of eternal glory.

Believest thou this? the whole of this concerning the power of Christ, and privilege of believers; every tittle of it is to be believed. And as with respect to a corporeal resurrection, so with regard to a spiritual one; that men by nature are dead in sins; that Christ is the author of the resurrection from such a state, to a spiritual life; that this life is only by Christ, and can never be lost: this is a doctrine to be believed; it is the doctrine of the Scriptures; it is according to godliness; it makes for the comfort of the people of God, and glorifies the divine perfections.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus committed no personal sins of his own to answer for. (John 8:29, 2Cor
5:21, Heb 4:15, 1Pet 2:22)

In point of fact, it was impossible for Jesus to commit sins of his own.

1John 3:9 . . No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed
abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

So, if he's the resurrection spoken of in John 11:25, then the folks who
attain to it will be 110% sinless too; same as him.

Jesus also said he's "the life" in John 11:25. Well; according to John 5:26
the life in him is the same life in God, which of course is eternal life. (1John
1:1-2)

Adding all that up advertises a resurrection that, to me, is quite astounding
because it's above and beyond reasonable expectations!!!
_

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul wrote his first letter to the Corinthians before correcting some things in his second,

Writing about God, the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 8:6
yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Notice how Paul writes that God is whom we live for, the Father, whom all things came. And there is but one Lord, Yeshua the Messiah, through whom all things came and through whom we live (by the spirit), in relationship with the Father and praying in the name of the Lord.

If this is the case here Paul writing that from God all things came, and all through Yeshua all things came; it’s even more intriguing to consider that Yeshua, is the Son of the Living God, whom was the Word which had created all things; which in the flesh as the Son of man, he was known as the Lord Jesus; but the Word of God resides in the heart and mind of Christ and the spirit was with him from the Father. And that very word that became flesh resided with the Father, as the spoken Word before taking on the name Jesus.

It’s amazing to consider the Word by choice chose to die on the cross; that because of this choice to sacrificially love God first and to do then the will which God had sent the Word for. To pay for the sin, so that world could be reconciled back to the Father, also that hell, death, and Satan would be taken care of once and for all because of the victory of the Lord whom has had all enemies put beneath his feet.

And the God loved the world so much he sent his only son; which this fleshly body was going to be used for the payback of sin by fulfilling the Law of Moses which, the meeting in the transfiguration is needful to read and see that; it was time to look on Christ; no more having to revert back to law, and Jesus was going to be the last prophet after John the Baptist had passed away.

By beating the devil; in which the devil could never blame nor touch the Lord even through all his trials. Because of the Word of God within, and the Holy Spirit resting in the soul of Jesus within his fleshly body, Jesus was constantly in prayer to his Father; and that is the message for us today also, that we should pray, read the scriptures and mediate on the good things of God and to love God and love others.

Thankfully Jesus did willingly decide to die for the whole world and it’s sins in that body that hung on the cross, that was buried, and raised again, to reconciled those who choose to seek out the Father and if seek Him in faith he will reward those who do.

May the God of peace be with you all.

Last edited:

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus committed no personal sins of his own to answer for. (John 8:29, 2Cor
5:21, Heb 4:15, 1Pet 2:22)

In point of fact, it was impossible for Jesus to commit sins of his own.

1John 3:9 . . No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed
abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

_
Yes, Jesus "committed" no sins.

Jesus, however, could (possibility) sin if he choose to. He 'could not' because it was His choice to not sin, out of love.

Heb_4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.​

Gen_39:9 There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?​
Thus the "cannot sin" is not one of impossibility, but one of flat refusal in possibility. To teach otherwise, is the Roman Catholic doctrine (heresy) of 'impeccability'.

• Wow

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take it this means those who are "born" into God's kingdom, whether in Heaven
or in his kingdom to come in the new Earth.

The Greek word for "seed" in 1John 3:9 speaks of progeny, i.e. offspring.
Well; according to Luke 1:35, John 1:14, John 1:18, John 3:16, John 3:18,
Heb 11:17, and 1John 4:9, Jesus is God's one and only direct descendant.
For that reason I think it's okay to assume he's the only man ever lived for
whom it can be said "he cannot sin" and that's because he's a chip off the
olde block, viz: his Father cannot sin. (1John 1:5, Jas 1:13)

* Born-again Christians aren't God's direct descendants. They are actually
creations, i.e. God's handiwork. (2Cor 5:17, Eph 2:10, Eph 4:24, Col 3:10)

Jesus is a natural-born son of God's (so to speak), whereas born-again
Christians are taken into God's home via adoption. (Rom 8:15, Gal 4:5,
Eph 1:5)
_

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus says that "He is the resurrection", this is the young literal translation version below.
Of course. Since Jesus is LIFE and ETERNAL LIFE it follows that He is THE RESURRECTION. Jesus Himself is our Salvation.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Revelation 1:17-18) . . .“Do not be fearful. I am the First and the Last, 18 and the living one; and I became dead, but, look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of Ha′des.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thus the "cannot sin" is not one of impossibility

The two Greek words that make "he cannot" in 1John 3:9 are ou and
dúnatai.

ou is a strong negative meaning no or not.

dúnatai means to be able or to be possible.

Taken together, ou dúnatai indicates an impossibility.

Jesus had a very big advantage. He didn't have to exert will power in order
to be a perfectly sinless man. Though a man, he's God's direct descendant--
in point of fact; God's one and only direct descendant. As such he's a chip off
the olde block, so to speak. In other words; sinless perfection is just as
natural to God's son as it is to God.

Col 2:9 . . For in Christ all the fullness of The Deity lives in bodily form.

To teach otherwise, is the Roman Catholic doctrine (heresy) of 'impeccability'.

Were it possible for Jesus to sin, then we would have to concede that it's
possible for his Father to sin too, viz: like father like son, i.e. the apple falls
not far from the tree.
_

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's great to be set free in truth, Robert Gwin, good to hear from you as it has been a little while.

May the God of peace be with you and all.

I Am the Light of the World - John 8​

12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” 13 So the Pharisees said to him, “You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true.” 14 Jesus answered, “Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. 16 Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father[a] who sent me. 17 In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true. 18 I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.” 19 They said to him therefore, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20 These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come.

21 So he said to them again, “I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.” 22 So the Jews said, “Will he kill himself, since he says, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come’?” 23 He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.”25 So they said to him, “Who are you?” Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been telling you from the beginning. 26 I have much to say about you and much to judge, but he who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have heard from him.” 27 They did not understand that he had been speaking to them about the Father. 28 So Jesus said to them, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me. 29 And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.” 30 As he was saying these things, many believed in him.

The Truth Will Set You Free - John 8​

31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?”

34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave[b] to sin. 35 The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know that you are offspring of Abraham; yet you seek to kill me because my word finds no place in you.38 I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father.”

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dan 12:2 . . And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall
awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting
contempt.

John 5:28-30 . .The hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves
shall hear the Son's voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good,
unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the
resurrection of damnation.

Those passages suggest there are two resurrections instead of just the one
Jesus spoke of at John 11:25. However, seeing as how Jesus said his is "the"
resurrection, then we have to assume some folk won't actually be
resurrected, but only resuscitated; which means those folks will come back
from death in no better condition than when they passed away.

Jesus' resurrection offers people a renovation, whereas those other folks will
be merely revived and with no improvements whatsoever; plus: in "the"
resurrection people will be immortal whereas resuscitated folks have to
undergo death yet again.
_

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those passages that cite what Daniel wrote, and Jesus had said, to me still stand true, (Daniel 12:2;John 5:28-30), which, Daniel and Jesus says there are two types of resurrections. Paul mention one other resurrection (Philippians 3:1-11)which is supposed to better than (Hebrews 11:35) just the normal resurrection that believers receive, and of course better than those whom are resurrected perhaps not to equipped to dwell in the light and live outside of the Kingdom (Revelation 22:15).