Jesus tells us the Words Spoken by a Man in Hell for over 2000 years!!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'
25 But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.
26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.'
27 Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,
28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'
29 Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.'
30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
31 But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' " Luke 16:24-31=============and you??

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The passage in Luke is a parable (and is yet another warning to the unbelieving Jews of the "reversal of fortune" that will come upon them if they continue in unbelief). Why is it not a literal account of two dead men? Several reasons:

1) It's found in the midst of other parables Jesus told - would God Who "is not the author of confusion" proceed to throw a literal story in the midst of a bunch of parables?

2) It begins identically or similarly to other passages that are clearly parabolic in cases like Luke 14, 15, and 16.

3) Jesus used the name "Lazarus" as part of a symbolic lesson that stubborn refusal to trust God's Word results only in compounded delusion. Later, when a literal man named Lazarus was resurrected from the dead, the last words of allegorical Abraham - "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead" - were proven true when the unbelieving Jews refused to believe and instead went away to take counsel how they might destroy both Jesus and Lazarus.

If those who rigidly insist that Jesus' use of the proper name "Lazarus" proves it's a literal passage would be honest with themselves, they would admit that placing these two conclusions on the scales of reason would result in them being totally unbalanced against them.

4) There are many elements in the passage that are clearly allegorical, some of which if left uninterpreted cause Jesus to contradict other passages of Scripture. Some examples are:
  • The myriad of speculation as to what "Abraham's bosom" means is enough to show this is an allegorical passage
  • How could Abraham's literal bosom be large enough to receive and retain all the saints who have died and continue to die?
  • It is popularly claimed that the bodies of the dead lie in the ground while supposedly "their souls go straight to heaven or burning in hell and remain without a body until the resurrection". If that is so, how could the Rich Man who was in "hades" have an uncorrupted tongue and eyes, and Lazarus a finger to dip into water, when God's Word is clear that the dead remain without a bodies until the resurrection?
  • How could one who is literally completely engulfed in flame carry on an intelligent conversation with another?
  • A single drop of water on the tongue of one completely engulfed in flame cannot possibly afford him any degree of relief. Jesus drew attention to the Rich Man's tongue for a very important reason that the interpretation of this parable makes plainly evident.
5) When Jesus mentioned the "hell" in which the Rich Man found himself, JESUS DELIBERATELY CHOSE NOT TO USE "GEHENNA", WHICH MEANS "FIERY, BURNING, BLAZING PLACE" --- Jesus instead chose "Hades", which means "grave", described in the Bible as a "silent", "dark", memory-free "land of forgetfulness", body-corrupting and not cremating hole in the ground or tomb. Therefore, the "flames of torment" of the Rich Man are not literal flames, but are obviously symbolic of some other form of torment experienced by those of whom this allegorical Rich Man represents.

6) No where in Scripture do we find dead people able to talk. What the Bible calls "Samuel" was not really Samuel, but a demon spirit of deception that took the form of Samuel - a form of one that was familiar to the people known as a "familiar spirit" - because Solomon plainly says "the dead know not anything" and do not possess "memory", "wisdom", or "knowledge", do not manifest "love, hatred, envy" or any other such emotions, and have nothing "to do with anything that is done under the sun." Those who insist otherwise to establish that the dead can converse with each other arrogantly think themselves "wiser than Solomon".

7) Matthew says, "All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them". Was the multitude present as Jesus spoke? Yes, and this was "another parable" that Mathew says Jesus put forth unto them.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Agree with Phoneman777

Lazarus in the parable was not "in hell" that you speak of.

Reactions: Willie T

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Again I ask:

Which scriptures in the bible represent parables,
and which scriptures do not represent parable.

I think that you are probably right...I should have said "story" not parable.
Jesus always says when it is a parable ...He uses " is like unto" when He is teaching and " drawing them a picture".
The Lazarus story does not read like a parable.

biloqewu

Aug 6, 2018
Pompano Beach
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'
25 But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.
26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.'
27 Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,
28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'
29 Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.'
30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
31 But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' " Luke 16:24-31=============and you??

The righteous punishment for sin according to the Torah is death, not being burned alive for 2,000 years. The judgment of the lake of fire is just a means to render the righteous punishment of the Law, which is death, this alone should tell you that the doctrine of eternal torment is an erroneous doctrine. The lake of fire destroys not only the body, but also the soul, where destruction means cessation of existence. This is why the lake of fire is called a second death. Read http://www.wisdomofgod.co/2016/10/0...-resurrections-and-the-lake-of-fire-judgment/ .