Jesus: The New Testament Tabernacle

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Old Tabernacle, Father dwelt between the cherubs. But now, as we will see in a minute, Jesus is the New Testament Tabernacle, the body of flesh that "housed" the FULNESS of the Godhead bodily...

Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

What is the Old Testament Tabernacle?

God's Dwelling Place.

Exodus 25:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
[2] Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring me an offering: of every man that giveth it willingly with his heart ye shall take my offering.
[3] And this is the offering which ye shall take of them; gold, and silver, and brass,
[4] And blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine linen, and goats' hair,
[5] And rams' skins dyed red, and badgers' skins, and shittim wood,
[6] Oil for the light, spices for anointing oil, and for sweet incense,
[7] Onyx stones, and stones to be set in the ephod, and in the breastplate.

Exodus 25:8 And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.
[9] According to all that I show thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it.

Tabernacle means to dwell with. And, to dwell with means to tabernacle with. In both the Old Testament and New Testament, God has wanted to dwell with his people.

Exodus 25:21 And thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee.
[22] And there I will meet with thee, and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubim which are upon the ark of the testimony, of all things which I will give thee in commandment unto the children of Israel.

God would meet with the priest from between the wings of the Cheribums. The Bible says God is a spirit and is literally everywhere at the same time (omnipresent) which, he meets with the priest in one specific place. All His personality, His attributes, His knowledge, His entire being, in one place between the wings of the Cheribums.

God himself had planned to, later Tabernacle (dwell) with us in another way. Instead of meeting between the Wings of the Cheribums, he chose to dwell with us in bodily form...

John 1:14 "And the Word (God) was made flesh, and dwelt among us..."

The word Godhead used here is "...in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead(G2320) bodily."

G2320
θεότης
theotēs

Thayer Definition:
1) deity
1a) the state of being God, Godhead

St. John 14:10 records Jesus saying, "Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The WORDS that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that DWELLETH IN ME, he doeth the works.

2 Corinthians 5:19 "To wit, that God was IN CHRIST, reconciling the world unto Himself..."

God told Moses to make the Old Testament tabernacle with rams' skins dyed red, and a covering above of badgers' skins (Exodus 26:14). From the outside, it was not particularity beautiful. Jesus, the New Tabernacle, is not a man of outer beauty that we should desire him...

Isaiah 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

When the priest was in the Holy Place, and about to enter into the Holiest Of Holies, he knew God was on the other side of the Veil. The New Testament tells us that Jesus' flesh, his skin, is the VEIL...

Hebrews 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
[20] By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

God Bless!

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Old Tabernacle, Father dwelt between the cherubs, but now Jesus is the New Testament Tabernacle...

Hebrews 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

Greetings, user.

The temple he is referring to in Hebrews 9:11 is the temple in Heaven (Hebrews 9:24), which bears the same dimensions as the one on earth He gave instructions to build.

Now, in spiritual terms He is likened to the Chief Cornerstone of the spiritual church. But this analogy makes Him not the entire temple but rather the foundation stone upon which the church is built.

God bless. If you have any comments, please feel free to respond.
Hidden

Reactions: user

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings, user.

The temple he is referring to in Hebrews 9:11 is the temple in Heaven (Hebrews 9:24), which bears the same dimensions as the one on earth He gave instructions to build.

Now, in spiritual terms He is likened to the Chief Cornerstone of the spiritual church. But this analogy makes Him not the entire temple but rather the foundation stone upon which the church is built.

God bless. If you have any comments, please feel free to respond.
Hidden

The tabernacle of flesh is in reference to the body of flesh that “housed” the FULNESS of the Godhead ~bodily. God took upon Himself the seed of Abraham, to manifest Himself to lost humanity, in order to “provide Himself” a Lamb, and pay the sin-debt.

Hebrews 2:16 (KJV)
For verily he took not on [him the nature of] angels; but he took on [him] the seed of Abraham.

Hebrews 10:20 (KJV)
By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Colossians 2:9 (KJV)
For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

God Bless!

Reactions: MattMooradian

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The tabernacle of flesh is in reference to the body of flesh that “housed” the FULNESS of the Godhead ~bodily. God took upon Himself the seed of Abraham, to manifest Himself to lost humanity, in order to “provide Himself” a Lamb, and pay the sin-debt.

Hebrews 2:16 (KJV)
For verily he took not on [him the nature of] angels; but he took on [him] the seed of Abraham.

Hebrews 10:20 (KJV)
By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Colossians 2:9 (KJV)
For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

God Bless!

I think I see what you're saying : )

Yes, while He walked this earth He was essentially the temple of God on earth. Just keep in mind, however, that once He left and the Holy Spirit was poured out upon His body, the church, in Christ we became the fulness of the Godhead bodily, which is actually the point Paul was making in Colossians 2:9.

But yes, I agree with you.

God bless you too!
Hidden

Reactions: user

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only, good topic. agreed, the Lord Jesus is that tabernacle. for he is our ark of safety. as well pointed by the Holy Ghost himself in the writtings of the apostle Paul. Romans 3:25 "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;"

as the propitiation, or the Mercy seat, for the word propitiation in Greek means,
G2435 ἱλαστήριον hilasterion (hiy-la-stee'-riy-on) n.
1. an item or location used in obtaining favorable forgiveness.
2. (concisely) an atonement place or sacrifice.
3. (concretely) an atoning sacrifice (for favorable forgiveness); (i.e. the victim, not the act).
4. (specially) the atonement seat, the lid of the Ark (in the Temple).
[neuter of G2433 with enclitic of a surface or place]
KJV: mercyseat, propitiation
Root(s): G2433

as a lid, the blood that was sacrifice "Covers" our sins, for God delight in "Mercy", hence the Mercy seat, that we boldly come unto the throne of grace. Hebrews 4:16 "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."

PICJAG.

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And now, being cleansed, our body has become 'the vessel of Christ', a temple wherein dwells the Holy Spirit. Upon our heart rests the 'throne of God', and we can now enter in before God, in the temple of our body. Therein resides the arc, with the manna, Aaron's rod, and and the 10 Commandments written upon our heart. The symbolism is edifying to the soul.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not exactly. Jesus is the High Priest within the Heavenly Sanctuary.

Jesus is Awesome!

He is both the "Tabernacle" AND the Spirit that dwells within it.
He is the High Priest AND the Sacrificial Lamb.
The First AND the Last / Beginning AND the End.

Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Thanks.
God Bless!

Reactions: 101G

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And now, being cleansed, our body has become 'the vessel of Christ', a temple wherein dwells the Holy Spirit. Upon our heart rests the 'throne of God', and we can now enter in before God, in the temple of our body. Therein resides the arc, with the manna, Aaron's rod, and and the 10 Commandments written upon our heart. The symbolism is edifying to the soul.

There is much going on in the world today and we need to keep our temple clean, having gold and silver and precious things, not to take into it the things of the world. We need to guard the gates - what we see, what we hear, and what we say.

Luke 6:45 "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good..."

God Bless!

Reactions: MattMooradian

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Old Tabernacle, Father dwelt between the cherubs. But now, as we will see in a minute, Jesus is the New Testament Tabernacle, the body of flesh that "housed" the FULNESS of the Godhead bodily...

I don't want to take anything away from your argument that Jesus is God incarnate and that he tabernacles among us. I agree with all of that. However, I wonder if you would consider an alternate interpretation of Colossians 2:9 that seems to fit the context better?

Let's first consider the phrase "in him" which Paul employs many times referring to the status of his followers. If an individual believes in Christ Jesus, has become his disciple, walks in his teaching, being endowed with the Holy Spirit, then according to Paul, that person is "in him."

Next, Paul has employed the Greek word "plaroma" to indicate the sum total of all those who are "in him" or "in Christ." (Ephesians 1:23) We find this kind of language in his letter to the Ephesians where Paul pictures the plaroma (the fullness) as the body of Christ. In Ephesians chapter 2, Paul pictures all the saints being built together into a dwelling of God. Ephesians 2:20-22

Perhaps Colossians 2:9 is parallel to Ephesians 2:22?

(refer to my video
Title: The Fullness
)

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

God Bless!

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only, good topic. agreed, the Lord Jesus is that tabernacle. for he is our ark of safety. as well pointed by the Holy Ghost himself in the writtings of the apostle Paul. Romans 3:25 "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;"

as the propitiation, or the Mercy seat, for the word propitiation in Greek means,
G2435 ἱλαστήριον hilasterion (hiy-la-stee'-riy-on) n.
1. an item or location used in obtaining favorable forgiveness.
2. (concisely) an atonement place or sacrifice.
3. (concretely) an atoning sacrifice (for favorable forgiveness); (i.e. the victim, not the act).
4. (specially) the atonement seat, the lid of the Ark (in the Temple).
[neuter of G2433 with enclitic of a surface or place]
KJV: mercyseat, propitiation
Root(s): G2433

as a lid, the blood that was sacrifice "Covers" our sins, for God delight in "Mercy", hence the Mercy seat, that we boldly come unto the throne of grace. Hebrews 4:16 "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."

PICJAG.

Christ’s death is indeed an appeasement or a turning away of divine wrath. It revealed both His hatred of sin and His mercy for the sinner. Jesus took our place and suffered the penalty of sin in our stead.

Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Thank you.
God Bless!

Reactions: 101G

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see why anyone would want to get rid of the two witnesses, God gives them powers

Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

Revelation 11:9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.
Revelation 11:11 And after three days and an half the spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

Revelation 11:12 And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.

Verse 12 sounds a bit like the rapture, as seen here...

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Thanks.
God Bless!

Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

Revelation 11:9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.
Revelation 11:11 And after three days and an half the spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

Revelation 11:12 And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.

Verse 12 sounds a bit like the rapture, as seen here...

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Thanks.
God Bless!
Verse 12 does. Read matthew 24

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verse 12 does. Read matthew 24

Matthew 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Good observation.

Keep up the good work.
God Bless!

Reactions: Jennifera198337
Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Good observation.

Keep up the good work.
God Bless!
Thank you. You too.