Jesus wants personal relationship with us.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have started this this thread because I've been chatting to somebody who doesn't think a personal relationship with God is possible. I'm sharing this to show that it isn't just me that promotes that thought, but that it is a widely held belief among spiritually reborn Christians.

A friend from another forum who I have had no contact with for ages sent me this e-mail this morning quite out of the blue - a coincidence?
He said:

"I felt led to forward the following message from my local church's pastor."

"I was reminded this morning how wonderful, how beautiful it is to have friendship with God.
This amazing gift that has been made fully available to us. And the Holy Spirit's desire for each one of us, is to lead us into a greater depth of that friendship.

Just as my marriage cannot be fruitful or enjoyable without investment from both me and Jane, we must invest in our friendship with God to receive all that relationship with him is designed to bring us.

True friendship with God is available today for each of us if we make space and time to be with him, and nothing brings greater satisfaction than living out of the abundance of friendship with Jesus.

And let's not forget the depth of his desire to have a relationship with us.
He showed the greatest act of love this world has ever known in going to the cross and laying down his life. And he did so willingly. That is love.

God desired friendship with you to the level that he would send his only Son to die in order to restore what sin had destroyed. And the amazing thing is, to know our creator is to know love itself. And when we experience that love, we are transformed into instruments of his love for all those around us.

Think on your status as a friend of God. Don’t wait to invest in your relationship with Him Walk today with Him as your source and guide, experience his favour and grace. Value friendship with God above all else and experience the abundant life available to you."

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have started this this thread because I've been chatting to somebody who doesn't think a personal relationship with God is possible. I'm sharing this to show that it isn't just me that promotes that thought, but that it is a widely held belief among spiritually reborn Christians.

A friend from another forum who I have had no contact with for ages sent me this e-mail this morning quite out of the blue - a coincidence?
He said:

"I felt led to forward the following message from my local church's pastor."

"I was reminded this morning how wonderful, how beautiful it is to have friendship with God.
This amazing gift that has been made fully available to us. And the Holy Spirit's desire for each one of us, is to lead us into a greater depth of that friendship.

Just as my marriage cannot be fruitful or enjoyable without investment from both me and Jane, we must invest in our friendship with God to receive all that relationship with him is designed to bring us.

True friendship with God is available today for each of us if we make space and time to be with him, and nothing brings greater satisfaction than living out of the abundance of friendship with Jesus.

And let's not forget the depth of his desire to have a relationship with us.
He showed the greatest act of love this world has ever known in going to the cross and laying down his life. And he did so willingly. That is love.

God desired friendship with you to the level that he would send his only Son to die in order to restore what sin had destroyed. And the amazing thing is, to know our creator is to know love itself. And when we experience that love, we are transformed into instruments of his love for all those around us.

Think on your status as a friend of God. Don’t wait to invest in your relationship with Him Walk today with Him as your source and guide, experience his favour and grace. Value friendship with God above all else and experience the abundant life available to you."
This is what faith is all about. Impersonal ideas are not the point and they do not save and transform. John 3.16.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is what faith is all about. Impersonal ideas are not the point and they do not save and transform. John 3.16.
I find it so sad that so many people miss this truth and so miss out on all the wonderful things God brings to our lives. i don't know why it is that some people make everything so complicated. God love us and wants for us to love him back. it's as personal as that.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl Is not a friendship a very personal relationship?

"A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." Prov 18:24

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you." John 15:13-15

"And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God" James 2:23

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl How personal is the relationship between the Bride and the Bridegroom?

"He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled." John 3:29

"And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will show thee the bride, the Lamb's wife." Rev 21:9

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is very Scriptural.

John 16:32 LITV
32) Behold, an hour is coming, and now has come, that you are scattered, each one to his own things, and you will leave Me alone. Yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.

Jesus was not alone because the disciples were with Him, and when they leave, He still won't be alone, the Father is with Him. So this leads me to think that the presence of the Father with Jesus was at least as substantial as the disciples being with Him. Jesus said, "I've come that you may have life, and that more abundantly." He said, "this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, Whom You have sent".

John 14:18-20 LITV
18) I will not leave you orphans; I am coming to you.
19) Yet a little while and the world no longer sees Me, but you see Me. Because I live, you also shall live.
20) In that day you shall know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.

John 17:20-23 LITV
20) And I do not pray concerning these only, but also concerning those who will believe in Me through their word;
21) that all may be one, as You are in Me, Father, and I in You, that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.
22) And I have given them the glory which You have given Me, that they may be one, as We are One:
23) I in them, and You in Me, that they may be perfected in one; and that the world may know that You sent Me and loved them, even as You loved Me.

I just cannot read these words and not think that God is drawing us to Him so that we can be in intimate relationship. The fact is, He's come to be my primary relationship, followed by my wife of 32 years, followed by everyone else.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:3 LITV
3) We announce to you what we have seen, and what we have heard, that you also may have fellowship with us. And truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son, Jesus Christ.

This is another place John relates our fellowship with God to our fellowship with each other, in personal relationship.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl How personal is the relationship between the Bride and the Bridegroom?
As I undressed for bed one night, I suddenly thought that in just the same way as our physical bodies are less than perfect when stripped naked so our spiritual ‘bodies’ leave much to be desired when laid bare before God.

In our relationship with Jesus the Church is called the Bride of Christ, and just as a bridegroom will come to know his bride, body and soul, intimately, over the years of their marriage, so God already knows us inside out, and wants us to know Him intimately too. We can hide nothing from Him; we cannot pretend.

He knows our strengths and weaknesses; our best bits and our ‘wobbly’ bits; the good the bad and ugly. He knows the desires of our hearts; he knows all our moods; he knows all our needs; he knows our likes and dislikes. He knows all those secret thoughts and yet he loves us anyway.

And he loves us unreservedly, unconditionally; for richer for poorer, for better for worse, in sickness and in health.

So let us love, honour and obey Him, and forsaking all others keep ourselves only unto Him.

He loved us enough to die for us so let us love him enough to live for him.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does the Bible say this?

Where does it say any of this is accomplished by a relationship?

Effects of faith & baptism!

Ez 36:25-27 washed in baptism, with a new heart and the Spirit
Jn 3:5 born again in baptism
Mk 16:16 faith & baptist
Acts 2:38 repentance & baptism
Acts 8:36-38 faith & baptism
Acts 22:16 baptism washes away sin
Rom 6:3 died with Christ
Col 2:12 risen with Christ
1 cor 12:13 baptized into the church
Gal 3:27 by baptism put on Christ
2 Tim 1:10 brought to life
2 cor 5:17 new creation
Eph 1:13 sealed by the Holy Spirit
Eph 2:1&5 brought to life in baptism
Eph 4:5 one baptism
Eph 5:26 faith and baptism
Titus 3:5 baptismal regeneration
1 pet 1:2 washed in Christ’s blood
1 pet 2:9 and not the kingdom of light
1 pet 3:20-21 baptism saves us!

“Faith alone” accomplishes nothing!
1 cor 13:2 even all faith (alone) without charity avails NOTHING!!!

Faith and baptism!

Scripture says none of the things about “Faith alone”!

“Faith alone”

Questions

where does scripture says we have died with Christ by “faith alone”?

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

where does scripture say we are members of Christ and his church by “faith alone”?

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

where does scripture says we put on Christ by “faith alone”?

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Where does scripture say our sins are washed away by “faith alone”?

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

where does scripture say we are saved or justified by “faith alone”?

1 pet 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!

The only reference in scripture to “faith alone” is James 2:24 NOT BY “FAITH ALONE”?

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

How can you enter by your own if it must be ministered to you? Baptism is done unto you, “not do it yourself by faith alone”

Jn 3:5 born again by faith alone?

Where is “Accept Christ as your personal lord & savior” is found in scripture?

They did not go preaching this line but went immediately to the river and baptized Jn 3:22

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Eph 4:5 one baptism

Why don’t it say one teeny tiny little act of “faith alone”???

When we first believed we are saved?

Romans 13:11
And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

How can salvation be nearer than when we first believed if you’re saved by believing?

1 pet 1:9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Matt 24:13 endures to the end Shall be saved.

How can salvation happen when we first believed if it’s the end?

If salvation is by “faith alone” then faith would be the greatest!
1 cor 13:13 charity is the greatest!

Even all faith much less “faith alone” without charity avails nothing!
1 cor 13:2

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God is relational. I guess that means most have the idea that God is out to get them, ie looking for enough reasons to fry them......reasons which they can't seem to lesson.......so they live in constant apprehension, scrambling desperately to appease.

Reactions: Mantis and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is relational. I guess that means most have the idea that God is out to get them, ie looking for enough reasons to fry them......reasons which they can't seem to lesson.......so they live in constant apprehension, scrambling desperately to appease.
He is relational for sure. We are individuals after all with different likes and dislikes, personalities and such so, why would He treat us like clones?

Reactions: Pearl and Lambano

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Perhaps you are like me and have noticed that churches today teach you about God, but don't teach you to KNOW God. My life changed one day when I was praying about abortion and I went from earth into God's presence. As we hugged each other I realized he was crying so I asked him why. He said because I have been waiting a long time for this. I realized at that moment he was crazy about me.

My focus changed completely from what the church wanted to what he wanted.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus wants CHUMS..:)

"You're my friends if you follow me. I don't call you servants, but I call you friends" (John 15:15)

View attachment 24346

View attachment 24345
of the picture with Jesus with his arm around his friend, I wonder how it would look if the attire both are wearing was exchanged/reversed? ie,
Jesus in jeans with the other guy wearing traditional mid east clothing.

Reactions: Lambano

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
of the picture with Jesus with his arm around his friend, I wonder how it would look if the attire both are wearing was exchanged/reversed? ie,
Jesus in jeans with the other guy wearing traditional mid east clothing.

Christians are Christians no matter what they wear..:)-
Paul said- "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28 )[/I]

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps you are like me and have noticed that churches today teach you about God, but don't teach you to KNOW God. My life changed one day when I was praying about abortion and I went from earth into God's presence. As we hugged each other I realized he was crying so I asked him why. He said because I have been waiting a long time for this. I realized at that moment he was crazy about me.

My focus changed completely from what the church wanted to what he wanted.
Wonderful.