John 14:1-31 (Jesus comforts his disciples; Jesus way to Father, promises Holy Spirit)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
““Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me.

There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?

When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.

And you know the way to where I am going.” “No, we don’t know, Lord,”

Thomas said. “We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is.

From now on, you do know him and have seen him!” Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.”

Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father!

So why are you asking me to show him to you? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?

The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me.

Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do. “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.

You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.

Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it! “If you love me, obey my commandments.

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth.

The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him.

But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you.

Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me.

Since I live, you also will live. When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”

Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?”

Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say.

My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them.

Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own.

What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. I am telling you these things now while I am still with you.

But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.

“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.

Remember what I told you: I am going away, but I will come back to you again. If you really loved me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father, who is greater than I am.

I have told you these things before they happen so that when they do happen, you will believe.

“I don’t have much more time to talk to you, because the ruler of this world approaches. He has no power over me, but I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father.

Come, let’s be going.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14‬:‭1‬-‭31‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Thoughts on these scriptures?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another scripture that comes to mind is one that Paul wrote to the people from the Philippians,

“This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God’s holy people in Philippi who belong to Christ Jesus, including the church leaders and deacons. May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace. Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God. Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy, for you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ from the time you first heard it until now. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭6‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose. Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross. Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ’s return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless. But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God. And I want all of you to share that joy. Yes, you should rejoice, and I will share your joy. If the Lord Jesus is willing, I hope to send Timothy to you soon for a visit. Then he can cheer me up by telling me how you are getting along. I have no one else like Timothy, who genuinely cares about your welfare. All the others care only for themselves and not for what matters to Jesus Christ. But you know how Timothy has proved himself. Like a son with his father, he has served with me in preaching the Good News. I hope to send him to you just as soon as I find out what is going to happen to me here. And I have confidence from the Lord that I myself will come to see you soon. Meanwhile, I thought I should send Epaphroditus back to you. He is a true brother, co-worker, and fellow soldier. And he was your messenger to help me in my need. I am sending him because he has been longing to see you, and he was very distressed that you heard he was ill. And he certainly was ill; in fact, he almost died. But God had mercy on him—and also on me, so that I would not have one sorrow after another. So I am all the more anxious to send him back to you, for I know you will be glad to see him, and then I will not be so worried about you. Welcome him in the Lord’s love and with great joy, and give him the honor that people like him deserve. For he risked his life for the work of Christ, and he was at the point of death while doing for me what you couldn’t do from far away.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2‬:‭1‬-‭30‬ ‭NLT‬‬

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone? Jesus said some interesting things to his disciples.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
““Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me.

There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?

When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.

And you know the way to where I am going.” “No, we don’t know, Lord,”

Thomas said. “We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is.

From now on, you do know him and have seen him!” Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.”

Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father!

So why are you asking me to show him to you? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?

The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me.

Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do. “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.

You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.

Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it! “If you love me, obey my commandments.

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth.

The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him.

But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you.

Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me.

Since I live, you also will live. When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”

Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?”

Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say.

My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them.

Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own.

What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. I am telling you these things now while I am still with you.

But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.

“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.

Remember what I told you: I am going away, but I will come back to you again. If you really loved me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father, who is greater than I am.

I have told you these things before they happen so that when they do happen, you will believe.

“I don’t have much more time to talk to you, because the ruler of this world approaches. He has no power over me, but I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father.

Come, let’s be going.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14‬:‭1‬-‭31‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Thoughts on these scriptures?
Who did he say that to Matt?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you get your bible out and read it, @Robert Gwin, that is the quickest way to know.

Does anything Jesus have to say have any truth to it? Some people question that even Moses existed, so it is understandable that people take in somethings that Jesus says, or the Apostles but disregard other things. Not saying that is what you do, but it is what people tend to do most of the time.

Love to you @Robert Gwin.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems Jesus after having washed the feet of his disciples before Judas had delivered Jesus over to the Chief priest and Pharisees.

Jesus in Chapter 14 is talking to his disciples, @Robert Gwin. This is why it is important for people dig in their bibles, and read and grow and mature in Christ by the spirit guiding them if they do decide to choose to do so. As no one can force anyone to do so.

I don’t believe God uses force on other either. People ever since Abraham, even Eve who praised the LORD when she had a baby, willingly participated in obeying God. That is why anyone who comes to God, can accept the Son? And become in fellowship by and through the spiritual connection given by faith.

Saved by faith through grace, amen!
0802E300-41A2-446F-BEF3-7C0A8B94DABC.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you get your bible out and read it, @Robert Gwin, that is the quickest way to know.

Does anything Jesus have to say have any truth to it? Some people question that even Moses existed, so it is understandable that people take in somethings that Jesus says, or the Apostles but disregard other things. Not saying that is what you do, but it is what people tend to do most of the time.

Love to you @Robert Gwin.
I most definitely agree Matt, love to you as well sir, thanks much for the kind comment.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems Jesus after having washed the feet of his disciples before Judas had delivered Jesus over to the Chief priest and Pharisees.

Jesus in Chapter 14 is talking to his disciples, @Robert Gwin. This is why it is important for people dig in their bibles, and read and grow and mature in Christ by the spirit guiding them if they do decide to choose to do so. As no one can force anyone to do so.

I don’t believe God uses force on other either. People ever since Abraham, even Eve who praised the LORD when she had a baby, willingly participated in obeying God. That is why anyone who comes to God, can accept the Son? And become in fellowship by and through the spiritual connection given by faith.

Saved by faith through grace, amen!
View attachment 27539
All who come to God has accepted the Son Matt Jn 14:6. Accepting the Son, or God for that matter is demonstrated by our obedience to them of course. If one disobeys, they really haven't accepted the Son.