John 17:5 – CHRISTOLOGY

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
John 17:5 – CHRISTOLOGY

“Καὶ νῦν δόξασόν με σύ πάτερ παρὰ σεαυτῷ τῇ δόξῃ ᾗ εἴχον πρὸ τοῦ τὸν κόσμον εἴναι παρὰ σοί”

“And now Glorify Me You Father with Yourself with the Glory that I had before the world existed together with You” (literal translation)

Those who are deniers of the Bible fact, that Jesus Christ is Almighty God, and coequal with God the Father in the Eternal Divine Nature, or Godhead, will always misuse verse 3, as if it says, that the Father is God, and that Jesus Christ cannot be God, in the same equal sense the Father is.

We have a number of Scripture passages, where it is clear, that Jesus Christ is God, as in John 1:1, 1:18, in the Original text; John 20:28; Acts 20:28; Romans 9:5; Titus 2:14; Hebrews 1:8-9; 2 Peter 1:1, and even in the Old Testament where Jesus Christ is “’êlGibbôr”, in Isaiah 9:6, as the Father is in 10:21, which is literally, as in the Dead Sea Scrolls text reads, “Mighty-God”, and not “Mighty Hero”, or any other corrupted translation.

In 1 Timothy 1:17, Paul says that Jesus Christ is, “the only wise God”, which, contextually, is not of the Father, as some wrongly suppose, but the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the Subject of the passage. In the Original text of 1 John 5:20, John says of Jesus Christ, that He is, “the True God and Eternal Life”

John 17:5, is very clear that Jesus Christ, in His Pre-Incarnate State, is absolutely coequal with the Father, from all eternity past. In Isaiah 42:8 it says, “I am Yahweh, that is My Name; I will not give My Glory to another or My Praise to idols”. Yet, we have Jesus say to the Father, to Glorify Him, together with Himself, with the same Glory they both equally shared, before even there was any world. Which is, from all eternity past!

How can someone, whom is no more than a created being, as some wrongly suppose Jesus Christ is, say to God, to give His Glory to them? This is the highest blasphemy! Jesus says to the Father, that They BOTH always had (as the Greek), the same Glory, from all eternity, and which Jesus “laid aside” (Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 2:9), when on earth; and now He speaks of this Glory being restored to Him, when He Ascends to be with the Father.

The fact, that Jesus shared the same Glory as the Father has, and that this is from all eternity past, it is very clear, that BOTH the Father and Jesus Christ have coexisted from all eternity past. This also says that the Father and Jesus Christ, have always been coequal, as God.

Revelation 5:13-14, is one of the clearest and strongest passages in the Holy Bible, of the absolute equality, of the Lord Jesus Christ, and God the Father:

"And ALL of the Creation, which is in the heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and on the sea, and all things that are in them, heard I saying, to Him Who sits on the throne, and unto the Lamb, be ALL the Blessing, and ALL the Honour, and ALL the Glory, and ALL the Might, for ever and ever. And the four living creatures said, Amen. And the elders fell down and worshipped." (so emphasized in the Greek)

Here we read of that Glory, which Jesus speaks of in John 17:5. We also have in this passage in Revelation, the SAME, EQUAL “Blessing and Might”, that is Ascribed to the Father, that is also to Jesus Christ. Note, “ALL the Might”, is the same as “ALMIGHTY”, which is clear that Jesus Christ, IS, as the Father IS, ALMIGHTY GOD. Also note, that BOTH the Father AND Jesus Christ are WORSHIPPED! The Father Himself in Hebrews 1:6, Commands that Jesus Christ is WORSHIPPED. This language, as in Revelation and Hebrews and elsewhere in the Bible, is impossible, to be used for someone who is not Himself Almighty God. The Apostle John who wrote the Book of Revelation, would be guilty of blasphemy, for saying that Jesus Christ, is EQUALLY, “Blessed, Honoured and Glorified”, along with the Father, as He is Almighty, IF Jesus is not 100% coequal with the Father.

Jesus Himself is very clear in John 5:23, that those who do not Honour Him, in EXACTLY the SAME way they Honour the Father, they are guilty of not Honouring the Father, Who Sent Him! Words that Jesus could not have spoken, if He is in any way “inferior” to the Father, as God.

Regardless of a persons personal beliefs and hang-ups, the Truth as in the Holy Bible, is very clear, that, the Lord Jesus Christ is, in the Eternal Divine Nature, absolutely coequal with God the Father.

Reactions: Gandalf- and RLT63