John of the Cross

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He sure does have a way of explaining the things along the way! And when you are in turmoil and not yet to the end of something, he calms you because you see only the beginnings, or are in the thick of it, and he gives you renewed strength to remain in peace about what’s happening.

by annihilating and subduing my faculties, passions, appetites, and affections—the instruments of my low
conceptions of God— I went forth out of the scanty works and ways of my own to those of God;that is,my
understanding went forth out of itself,and from human and natural became divine ; for united to God in that
purgation,it understands no more by its natural powers,: but in the divine wisdom to which it is united.
3. My will went forth out of itself becoming divine, for now,united with the divine love,it loves no more meanly with the powers of its nature, but with the energy and pureness of the divine spirit. Thus the will
acts now in the things of God,not in a human way, and the memory also is transformed in eternal apprehensions of glory. Finally, all the energies and affections of the soul are,in this night and purgation of the old man,renewed into a divine temper and delight.

-—————

The dark night is a certain inflowing of God into the soulwhich cleanses it of its ignorances and imperfections,
habitual, natural, and spiritual. Contemplatives call it infused contemplation,or mystical theology,'whereby God secretly teaches the soul and instructs it in the perfection of love, without efforts on its own part [beyond a loving attention to God,listening to His voice and admitting the light He sends, but without
understanding how this is infused contemplation.]: And inasmuch as it is the loving wisdom of God, it produces special effects in the soul, for it prepares it, by purifying and enlightening it, for union with God inlove

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He sure does have a way of explaining the things along the way! And when you are in turmoil and not yet to the end of something, he calms you because you see only the beginnings, or are in the thick of it, and he gives you renewed strength to remain in peace about what’s happening.

by annihilating and subduing my faculties, passions, appetites, and affections—the instruments of my low
conceptions of God— I went forth out of the scanty works and ways of my own to those of God;that is,my
understanding went forth out of itself,and from human and natural became divine ; for united to God in that
purgation,it understands no more by its natural powers,: but in the divine wisdom to which it is united.
3. My will went forth out of itself becoming divine, for now,united with the divine love,it loves no more meanly with the powers of its nature, but with the energy and pureness of the divine spirit. Thus the will
acts now in the things of God,not in a human way, and the memory also is transformed in eternal apprehensions of glory. Finally, all the energies and affections of the soul are,in this night and purgation of the old man,renewed into a divine temper and delight.

-—————

The dark night is a certain inflowing of God into the soulwhich cleanses it of its ignorances and imperfections,
habitual, natural, and spiritual. Contemplatives call it infused contemplation,or mystical theology,'whereby God secretly teaches the soul and instructs it in the perfection of love, without efforts on its own part [beyond a loving attention to God,listening to His voice and admitting the light He sends, but without
understanding how this is infused contemplation.]: And inasmuch as it is the loving wisdom of God, it produces special effects in the soul, for it prepares it, by purifying and enlightening it, for union with God inlove
Wouldn't know where to begin on this one! :oops:

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wouldn't know where to begin on this one! :oops:
It’s the second half of his book, after the first night has occurred. I’ve only ever skimmed it in places because I understood the first part but only got confused in the second part. Until now. It’s making some sense now, 16 years later.
But if you’re not in any distress, there’s no reason to read it. And even then, we each gravitate toward those who help us and away from those who don’t resonate with us. It depends on if the way someone explains a spiritual thing helps us or not. John has helped me for many years but I really term a “dark night” as a “fast“ in spirit when I’m trying to help a person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

-—————

where is the focus? ....that's my question!

Reactions: Keturah

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'whereby God secretly teaches the soul and instructs it in the perfection of love, without efforts on its own part [beyond a loving attention to God,listening to His voice and admitting the light He sends,
2 Corinthians 3:18 KJV
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Much love!

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John of the cross was JOHN,THE BELOVED whom knew Jesus and was know of Jesus well. Last I heard he was banished on the Isle of Patmos.
His words are Holy Spirit inspired, him I will hear !