Judge says UC can deny religious course credit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jamesrage

Apr 30, 2007
I guess now California not only is trying to ban homeschooling they are also trying to weed out Christian schools who teach the bible is infallible and rejects the atheist view of how we got here.Of course California and Massachusetts are slowly becoming the new Sodom and Gomorrah,so it doesn't surprise me.http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../BAQT129NMG.DTLA federal judge says the University of California can deny course credit to applicants from Christian high schools whose textbooks declare the Bible infallible and reject evolution.Rejecting claims of religious discrimination and stifling of free expression, U.S. District Judge James Otero of Los Angeles said UC's review committees cited legitimate reasons for rejecting the texts - not because they contained religious viewpoints, but because they omitted important topics in science and history and failed to teach critical thinking.Otero's ruling Friday, which focused on specific courses and texts, followed his decision in March that found no anti-religious bias in the university's system of reviewing high school classes. Now that the lawsuit has been dismissed, a group of Christian schools has appealed Otero's rulings to the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco."It appears the UC is attempting to secularize private religious schools," attorney Jennifer Monk of Advocates for Faith and Freedom said Tuesday. Her clients include the Association of Christian Schools International, two Southern California high schools and several students.Charles Robinson, the university's vice president for legal affairs, said the ruling "confirms that UC may apply the same admissions standards to all students and to all high schools without regard to their religious affiliations." What the plaintiffs seek, he said, is a "religious exemption from regular admissions standards."The suit, filed in 2005, challenged UC's review of high school courses taken by would-be applicants to the 10-campus system. Most students qualify by taking an approved set of college preparatory classes; students whose courses lack UC approval can remain eligible by scoring well in those subjects on the Scholastic Assessment Test.Christian schools in the suit accused the university of rejecting courses that include any religious viewpoint, "any instance of God's guidance of history, or any alternative ... to evolution."

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Ya know, I am always amazed at how the unbelievers have all kinds of adjectives for us Christians (and I suppose Jews as well) such as self-righteous, arrogant, close-minded, uninformed and so forth.Now try to put the shoe on the other foot and let Christians even try to treat someone this way and there would be rantings and ravings and cries of discrimination, being bigoted and whatnot.Like I always say, the pot calling the kettle. I guess being called close-minded if it means that Christians will not tolerate something outside of God's word is an honor. But if we use the bible as a standard, I have never seen more close-minded and arrogant people as unbelievers. I'm not talking about true questioners. I'm talking about people who take an opposite stance, and would limit the freedom of the Christian if they (legally) could and then turn around and talk about open-mindedness, tolerance, and so forth. That's an at's rass if I ever heard any.

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
Reminds me of that verse (forget where) that this world will take lies as truth and truth as lies. If ANY other group/religion was involved with this- all hell would break loose. I see this as a direct assult on the word of God and Gods followers. Christians- get ready to not belong anywhere.

larry522

Aug 13, 2008
Hello:Thats why we need servants of God in all walks of life. We need police officers, lawyers, doctors, etc. Anyone that want to rule out the teaching of the bible is against God, and we need to remember this when judges or the next appointment comes. We need to promote God's kingdom, his leadership by placing born again christians to these post.Larry BullardMinister