Judging other Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ROS777

Sep 21, 2006
There are many websites that judge other Christians as being of a cult or heretics.I can't believe that God appointed somebody who set up a website ( or visits a website) to decide who is a heretic or what group is a cult. Am I wrong here?What does the Bible say about judging?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is pretty clear about it - there is only one judge and that is the Almighty Himself.Psalms 9:8 And he shall judge the world in righteousness, he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness.Matthew 7:1Judge not, that ye be not judged.These are the first words of Matthew 7. It continues on to say:Matthew 7:2And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?We cannot judge ourselves because when you get right down to it, we aren't perfect either. This theme rings throughout the Bible that there is only one true Judge.However, a lot of people take poetic license to make that whatever they want. You can and should condemn a wicked act. You can and should help a person when it reasonable to do so. You can, and should, as reference by II John, condemn a false doctrine and don't let it creep into your church, family, or life. You'll see me condemn issues of doctrine on this site but I don't name any names because I am not the judge, God is. However, when you start throwing around terms like heretic and start attacking the person, you're judging. I've seen it time and again and it's a snare that you can quickly fall into. That's what this first part of Matthew 7 is speaking about.Conversely, when the Bible comes out and says something, that's not judging. Some prime examples are homosexuality and something like violence and fornication in movies. I'm not condemning the person of my own will be doing this - it's printed in black and white in God's Book of Law that you just don't do that.It can become a fine line to walk, but you will do well if you let God's Word guide you.As for these websites, you have to be very careful with who you're dealing with. There are people out there who do exactly what Christ says in the second verse of Mat. 7 above and don't look in the mirror when they throw around accusations. Remember that Christ himself was branded as a heretic by many.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(ROS777;3273)
There are many websites that judge other Christians as being of a cult or heretics.
I don't understand how heretics can be Christians. There are, as Jesus, John, Peter, Jude and Paul warned, very many who claim to be Christians who are not (and James strongly warned of nominalism). The mature Christian will therefore be very ready to helpfully describe claimed Christians as heretics, and certainly every true Christian overseer will point out to the congregation all who attempt to deceive them, even if it is another of their overseers. One can be absolutely certain that websites that claim to be Christian that prohibit such properly defensive action are of the devil, who does not like his schemes to be brought to light.
I can't believe that God appointed somebody who set up a website ( or visits a website) to decide who is a heretic or what group is a cult. Am I wrong here?What does the Bible say about judging?
Paul described false teachers as 'dogs', Peter described homosexuals as having 'filthy' lives, and Jude was very frank, too. There is no reason at all to modify that approach.

ROS777

Sep 21, 2006
Thank you SwampFox for an excellent response. There are websites and " christians" that are quick to judge yet are quilty of the same crimes they accuse others. That is condemned by Apostle Paul. I was troubled by websites that would slam a favorite teacher of mine. No one wants to follow false doctrine! But after praying about it, I feel pretty good about this teacher now. The people that slam him, though, have no crediablity. I wouldn't want to be in a church that judgemental. God can do the judging and he is very capable of judging without help from sinners.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(ROS777;3288)
Thank you SwampFox for an excellent response. There are websites and " christians" that are quick to judge yet are quilty of the same crimes they accuse others. That is condemned by Apostle Paul. I was troubled by websites that would slam a favorite teacher of mine. No one wants to follow false doctrine! But after praying about it, I feel pretty good about this teacher now. The people that slam him, though, have no crediablity. I wouldn't want to be in a church that judgemental. God can do the judging and he is very capable of judging without help from sinners.
I don't see how this adds anything to the debate. Readers have no idea what the issues were, and who this teacher is, and have only your word against these nameless others.

ROS777

Sep 21, 2006
(pointer;3289)
I don't see how this adds anything to the debate. Readers have no idea what the issues were, and who this teacher is, and have only your word against these nameless others.
Not a debate; the title of this column is Apologetic Questions and Answers.A question only; I'm not debating.I don't give names because specfic names would get into a popularity contest with no winners. The question is what would Jesus Christ say about judging other Christians.Should I give names, the focus would be on the target of the slander and I want the focus to be on the slanderer.

ROS777

Sep 21, 2006
Pointer, sorry if I sound rather unfriendly about it but I don't want to bring a specfic Christian up to bash or defend. A great many Christians get slandered and I would just hate to be the person doing the bashing. Even Apostle Paul says he doesn't judge himself before God's appointed time to judge.I've been going through the Bible, using a Strong's concordance looking up the subject of judging and I concur with SwampFox. :study:

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(ROS777;3296)
Not a debate; the title of this column is Apologetic Questions and Answers.
But apologia is debate. Specifying 'Questions and Answers' only specifies a form of debate. In any case, we are getting no answers at present.
I don't give names because specfic names would get into a popularity contest with no winners.
Not at all; mention of a particular person often neatly identifies a particular stance, and that is substance that can be debated.
The question is what would Jesus Christ say about judging other Christians.
That is an absurdity. A Christian cannot describe another as a serious heretic or a cultist and also deem him Christian. One is either a dear brother or sister, or one is 'non-existent' spiritually. There is no half way to heaven.
Should I give names
You don't have to give any names. You must mention issues, names being only a shortcut to issues.
I want the focus to be on the slanderer.
Then you will have to be a lot more specific, because it may turn out that the slanderer is yourself. Without data there is no 'answer'.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(ROS777;3299)
Pointer, sorry if I sound rather unfriendly about it but I don't want to bring a specfic Christian up to bash or defend. A great many Christians get slandered and I would just hate to be the person doing the bashing. Even Apostle Paul says he doesn't judge himself before God's appointed time to judge. I've been going through the Bible, using a Strong's concordance looking up the subject of judging and I concur with SwampFox. :study:
I do hope you have not read my post on this.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I don't see your point at all Pointer she simply stated she had a teacher she liked he was slammed for his beliefs it caused her to be troubled she prayed about came to realize it was the insulter's belief that she didn't agree with and felt they were wrong for slamming the teacher.This is simply the kind of decisions we all make everyday your only reason that I can see for making a big deal of this is that you want details of the names and peoples involved so you can decide if you agree with her decision which not to be rude, but it should not be your concern.IMHO

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(kriss;3307)
Iyou want details of the names and peoples involved so you can decide if you agree with her decision
If you look, you will see that I said that names are unnecessary. But this argument was not a private matter, as it took place on the 'net for anyone to see, so there would be no revealing of private secrets even if names were given.

ROS777

Sep 21, 2006
(kriss;3307)
I don't see your point at all Pointer she simply stated she had a teacher she liked he was slammed for his beliefs it caused her to be troubled she prayed about came to realize it was the insulter's belief that she didn't agree with and felt they were wrong for slamming the teacher.This is simply the kind of decisions we all make everyday your only reason that I can see for making a big deal of this is that you want details of the names and peoples involved so you can decide if you agree with her decision which not to be rude, but it should not be your concern.IMHO
Thank you Kriss. Kriss, I remember when I was younger, there was a saying, "You'll know a Christian by their love " No one ever said " You'll know a Christian by their judgements they pronounce".
smile.gif

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(ROS777;3310)
Thank you Kriss. Kriss, I remember when I was younger, there was a saying, "You'll know a Christian by their love " No one ever said " You'll know a Christian by their judgements they pronounce".
smile.gif

Is that a judgement?
smile.gif

ROS777

Sep 21, 2006
(pointer;3314)
Is that a judgement?
smile.gif

No. Jesus said his sheep hear his voice; the voice of a stranger they will stay away from. That's a judgement too.The people that badmouth others by name by printing lies and half truths are not judging truthfully.

stanleyg

Jul 19, 2006
(ROS777;3273)
There are many websites that judge other Christians as being of a cult or heretics.I can't believe that God appointed somebody who set up a website ( or visits a website) to decide who is a heretic or what group is a cult. Am I wrong here?What does the Bible say about judging?
I think your thread is right on target. Likewise, I have visited a multitude of Christian Forums. Several may have perceived my ministry as a cult. Anyway, the moderators banned me from posting my messages to our body of Christ. I have pity for each member that supports judgmental Christian forums.I perceived each ban as censorship of my First Amendment right to freedom of speech. Consider as well that the Jews brought Jesus before Pilate for proclaiming His heavenly kingdom. If I had violated the Code of Conduct to inflame or bash other members, then I could have understood being banned.To me the Parable of the Tares best reflects Jesus' instructions of weeding out cults. It connotates the message that we as the body of Christ should wait for His Second Coming to grant Him the authority to separate the tares from the wheat. Otherwise, we may extract a true ministry thinking that it may have been a cult.Matt13
[24] Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:[25] But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.[26] But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.[27] So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?[28] He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?[29] But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.[30] Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
Amen!

Dad of 3

Sep 17, 2006
All cults have certain characteristics in common. The cults that come to mind at the moment are the Catholic Church, LDS (and all other branches of Mormonism), Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, Branch Davidians, etc.