Just As I am

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thursday 12-29-22 5th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 5, 5783 9th. Winter Day

Today's Devotional

Read: Matthew 10:1, 5–10, 16–20 | Bible in a Year: Zechariah 9–12; Revelation 20

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority. Matthew 10:1

The young woman couldn’t sleep. Having suffered with a physical disability for many years, she’d be center stage at a church bazaar the next day to raise funds for higher education. But I’m not worthy, Charlotte Elliott reasoned. Tossing and turning, she doubted her credentials, questioning every aspect of her spiritual life. Still restless the next day, she finally moved to a desk to pick up pen and paper to write down the words of the now classic hymn, “Just As I Am”:

“Just as I am, without one plea, / But that Thy blood was shed for me, / And that Thou bidst me come to Thee, / O Lamb of God, I come, I come.”
Her words, written in 1835, express how Jesus called His disciples to come and serve Him. Not because they were ready. They weren’t. But because He authorized them—just as they were.

A ragtag group, his team of twelve included a tax collector, a zealot, two overly ambitious brothers (see Mark 10:35–37), and Judas Iscariot “who betrayed him” (Matthew 10:4). Still, He gave them authority to “heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons” (v. 8)—all without taking any money, luggage, extra shirt or sandals, or even a walking stick with them (vv. 9–10).
“I am sending you,” He said (v. 16), and He was enough. For each of us who say yes to Him, He still is.

What’s your current situation or status in life? What doubts have you expressed about your readiness to be used by God?
Jesus, bid me to come to You, fully dependent on Your grace and power to make a difference.

INSIGHT​

As Jesus sent out His twelve disciples, He gave them very clear directions: take your message to those who will listen and leave the homes of those who won’t (Matthew 10:13–15). Some scholars see a connection here to Matthew 25 where Jesus described how the nations will be judged—those who receive even the “least of these brothers and sisters of mine” will inherit eternal life (v. 40).

Those who reject Jesus’ messengers reject Jesus and life itself. The message of hope is ours to carry to the world, and we hope and pray people will repent and believe; yet it’s their choice what they’ll do with it.

By Patricia Raybon|December 29th, 2022

Serving Matthew Ten:1, 5-10, 16-20 Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 10:1, Matthew 10:5-10, Matthew 10:16-20 - King James Version

Love, Walter and Debbie