Keep His Commandments.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Last edited:

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
heretoeternity said:
You don't know? Ever heard of God's commandments?
Are you agreeing with these commandments of God?

• Deuteronomy 22:22: “If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel”;

• Leviticus 20:10: “If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife— with the wife of his neighbour—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.”
Oz

Reactions: Sword

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
heretoeternity said:
You seem to be confused...it seems the topic is the ten commandments...maybe study up on them and the Mosaic law Oz.
I'm confused about nothing. The OP is not the 10 commandments but 'Keep his commandments'. Are you wanting to still keep this one? 'If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbour, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death' (Lev 20:10 ESV).

Oz

Reactions: Sword

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
You should know by now the 613 laws of Moses were abolished (ACTS 15)...do you still keep them and all do you still do sacrifices of animals?
Hint..you don't have to.
But you should read the actual ten commandments on the stone tablets God wrote Himself...these are to be kept today, as they were at the beginning...hope this helps you out in solving the problem you appear to be having!.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
  • Deuteronomy 22:22: “If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel”;
  • Leviticus 20:10: “If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife— with the wife of his neighbour—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.”
Oz
People seem to confuse the obligation to keep the commandments with the penalty for transgressing the commandments. The penalty is what Paul refers to as the 'curse'. Removing the penalty doesn't remove the obligation. The sacrificial system is part of that curse, but what people don't know is that sacrifice only covers unintentional sin. Intentional sin is covered by repentance and restitution. However, you can't make restitution for adultery so the penalty is death. Again, one needs to see that the penalty is what is removed by Christ's work.

The other thing that I think is so important to note with these commandments is that they spotlight how serious the violations of these sins really are to God, and how serious they should be to us as well. People tend to think the death penalty is a bit extreme for just committing adultery, but adultery is a kind of murder in itself. The death penalty is there to show us that to sin is to die. Sin is so corrosive that sinning is essentially no different than pouring acid on yourself; sin is death itself.

The other thing that jumps out here is that these laws were given to a cult that had God Himself leading them. There really is no room to fool around when you've got the creator of the universe living with you. They're going into this knowing what the penalty is for each and every transgression so they shouldn't be surprised if they get caught in a community with an omniscient deity calling the shots. Not only does this show the power of God, but it simultaneously shows the power of sin as well.

When we intentionally sin, we aren't aware of the overwhelming presence of God in our lives anymore. We don't see the gravity of sin working In our lives, nor what it's doing. We might feel bad, we might even see that what we're doing is wrong, but that's just sentimental nonsense if we do it anyways. When that happens we're just violating a law that we don't really understand in the first place. When we become aware of the true gravity of sin, this is when we run from it. When that happens we are no longer under the law, but under grace for we can actually see sin for what it is, instead of just some ordinance or law that we really don't understand.

Reactions: worthy

worthy

Dec 26, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OzSpen said:

Oz
You seem to forget
Romans 8:2KJV
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
the law was not abolished just the law of sin and death that is why if a man commits adultery he won't be put to death. Your argument is not valid because you fail to understand what part of the law is abolished. And it seems that you don't understand this part of the scriptures or you don't want to understand. First you must understand why the law was made. The law was made so that the Israelites could have a head of protection around them so they would not fall and worship the pagan god's of gentiles. We now as gentiles are grafted into israel so whatever they follow we must follow also. And that is what Christ came to abolish not the law itself

Matthew 5:17-18 (KJV)
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.(Did you not know that some of the law is prophecies. So if you abolish the law then you abolish the prophecies.)

heavenforbid

Feb 9, 2017
Brisbane, Australia

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
worthy said:
You seem to forget
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
the law was not abolished just the law of sin and death that is why if a man commits adultery he won't be put to death. Your argument is not valid because you fail to understand what part of the law is abolished. And it seems that you don't understand this part of the scriptures or you don't want to understand. First you must understand why the law was made. The law was made so that the Israelites could have a head of protection around them so they would not fall and worship the pagan god's of gentiles. We now as gentiles are grafted into israel so whatever they follow we must follow also. And that is what Christ came to abolish not the law itself

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.(Did you not know that some of the law is prophecies. So if you abolish the law then you abolish the prophecies.)

they are commands in Deut and Leviticus not the ten commandments - twinc

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You seem to forget

Worthy,

I'm not forgetting anything but wanting clarity on the nature of the OP.

Yelling at me with enlarged letters brings no direction to this discussion.

Oz

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If by Law you mean the Law that was Old (Mosaic) Covenant Law then it was ALL abolished as a legal code along with the Old (Mosaic) Covenant.

Jesus gave us a New Covenant with laws appropriate to the New Covenant.

So when the OP says "If you love our Lord Jesus, you will keep his sayings/commandments" it is not necessarily referring to the same things as "You don't know? Ever heard of God's commandments?" that heretoeternity was referring to. By "God's Commandments" SDAs (for example) tend to mean just the Ten Commandments.

That's why people need to clarify their terms.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law of the sabbath day was not done away with as Worthy referenced in post # 9, but Matthew 12:1-8 has Jesus explaining why believers today are guiltless for not keeping the sabbath day. Jesus referenced two incidents in the Old Testament where the saints had violated the sabbath day but were blameless, because they were in the Temple, and yet Jesus pointed out One greater than the Temple was here which is why the Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath day. Does not Jesus Christ dwell within us? Are not our bodies the temples of the Holy Spirit now? That is why all believers are blameless for not keeping the sabbath day.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

That is why His righteousness & His faithfulness as our Good Shepherd is how He is bringing us Home.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but the Old Covenant and it's laws were abolished/cancelled/anulled (whichever you prefer).

Moreover they were never given to the gentiles only Jews.

So on two counts we are not bound by them.

Reactions: FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but the Old Covenant and it's laws were abolished/cancelled/anulled (whichever you prefer).

This is not the first time I have heard you say this. Its the second time. And ever since I heard you say it the first time, I've thought well of you despite any differences.

I still will call you on differences (though now I do it more sternly but also fairly), but I have always remembered you saying this.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If by Law you mean the Law that was Old (Mosaic) Covenant Law then it was ALL abolished as a legal code along with the Old (Mosaic) Covenant.

Jesus gave us a New Covenant with laws appropriate to the New Covenant.

So when the OP says "If you love our Lord Jesus, you will keep his sayings/commandments" it is not necessarily referring to the same things as "You don't know? Ever heard of God's commandments?" that heretoeternity was referring to. By "God's Commandments" SDAs (for example) tend to mean just the Ten Commandments.

That's why people need to clarify their terms.

Mungo,

I agree. That's why I was seeking clarification of the OP. Terms do need to be explained.

lOz

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are not bound by the Old Covenant, but the law was fulfilled in Christ Jesus. Reread post #14 in this thread to see how believers today are blameless for not keeping the sabbath day.

As it is, the New Covenant exempts us from keeping the sabbath day because Jesus Christ is in us.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are not bound by the Old Covenant, but the law was fulfilled in Christ Jesus. Reread post #14 in this thread to see how believers today are blameless for not keeping the sabbath day.

As it is, the New Covenant exempts us from keeping the sabbath day because Jesus Christ is in us.

You said in post#14 "The law of the sabbath day was not done away with as Worthy referenced in post # 9, but Matthew 12:1-8 has Jesus explaining why believers today are guiltless for not keeping the sabbath day."
I'm saying you are wrong. The law of the sabbath day was done away with. We are guiltless because no such law exists any more. You cannot be guilty of breaking a law that does not exist.