KJV Only...which one!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is something a friend on FB shared. I knew there was a difference between the 2 different versions but did not realize there were this many. The KJV is my go to as it is what I started on and seem to remember verses better in the language of old English.

"ANSWERING KJV ONLY PEOPLE
Consider this to start with; if one must have all the words of the original and only the words of the original, in one book, to be able to call that book the word of God, what shall we say to the fact that not only do no two hand-written Greek or Hebrew manuscripts agree with each other 100% (including no two editions of the Textus Receptus), no two editions of the King James Version agree perfectly either? The first edition of the KJV appeared in 1611. However, the KJV used widely today is the 1769 Benjamin Blayney revision. The fact is, unless your KJV contains the Apocrypha and spells Jew as ‘Iewe’ and cattle as ‘cattell’, you do not have a 1611 KJV! As for the italics, in Matthew’s Gospel alone, the 1769 KJV has 315 more uses of italics than the 1611 edition. Did you know that the 1769 KJV differs from the 1611 edition in a total of 75,000 details, 421 of which are noticeable to the ear when read aloud? It is true that most of these involve adjustments to archaic spelling, the correction of printing errors and the more regular use of italics — and about 72% of the noticeable textual changes had been made by 1638, only 27 years after the KJV was first published. However, the following are examples of corrections that were not made until 1762, over 150 years after the KJV was first published. These do not involve corrections of spelling or printing errors

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy

I don't mind corrections when all the words and verses are there. What I take issue with is in the modern versions that used the Alexandrian codices, by leaving out key words, the whole meaning of the verse is altered. And in their margins they write that it is the translations like the KJV that added words, when in reality (seeing as church fathers quoted those 'added' words (???) before the Alexandrian codices were created, it is more likely the Alexandrians subtracted words to fit some doctrine they had issue with (like the Trinity).

KJV (King James Version)

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

NASB (New American Standard Bible

1 John 5:7 For there are three that testify:

Romans 8:1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy

I don't mind corrections when all the words and verses are there. What I take issue with is in the modern versions that used the Alexandrian codices, by leaving out key words, the whole meaning of the verse is altered. And in their margins they write that it is the translations like the KJV that added words, when in reality (seeing as church fathers quoted those 'added' words (???) before the Alexandrian codices were created, it is more likely the Alexandrians subtracted words to fit some doctrine they had issue with (like the Trinity).

KJV (King James Version)

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

NASB (New American Standard Bible

1 John 5:7 For there are three that testify:

Romans 8:1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Sure does change the message. I would love to get a 1611 KJV.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have a facsimile of William Tyndale's New Testament. William Tyndale b. 1494 d. 1536 burned at stake for translating Hebrew and Greek texts into English. It is hard to read, but once you understand how they wrote their old English you can see what he wrote.

Reactions: Nancy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No. There is NO change in the message. What we have today is the same as the 1611 KJV, so don't be taken in by people promoting propaganda. For proof just go here and compare:
OFFICIAL KING JAMES BIBLE ONLINE: AUTHORIZED KING JAMES VERSION (KJV)

The spellings and punctuation may be different but that is immaterial. The actual translation is the same:

ORIGINAL KJV -- EXODUS 20

1 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I am the Lord thy God, which haue brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage:
3 Thou shalt haue no other Gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make vnto thee any grauen Image, or any likenesse of any thing that is in heauen aboue, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water vnder the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow downe thy selfe to them, nor serue them: For I the Lord thy God am a iealous God, visiting the iniquitie of the fathers vpon the children, vnto the thirde and fourth generation of them that hate me:
6 And shewing mercy vnto thousands of them that loue mee, and keepe my Commandements.
7 Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vaine: for the Lord will not holde him guiltlesse, that taketh his Name in vaine.
8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keepe it holy.
9 Sixe dayes shalt thou labour, and doe all thy worke:
10 But the seuenth day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not doe any worke, thou, nor thy sonne, nor thy daughter, thy man seruant, nor thy mayd seruant, nor thy cattell, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in sixe dayes the Lord made heauen and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seuenth day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and halowed it.
12 ¶ Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy dayes may bee long vpon the land, which the Lord thy God giueth thee.
13 Thou shalt not kill.
14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
15 Thou shalt not steale.
16 Thou shalt not beare false witnes against thy neighbour.
17 Thou shalt not couet thy neighbours house, thou shalt not couet thy neighbours wife, nor his man seruant, nor his maid seruant, nor his oxe, nor his asse, nor any thing that is thy neighbours.
CURRENT KJV -- EXODUS 20
2 I
am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness
of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God
am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day
is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For
in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
13 Thou shalt not kill.
15 Thou shalt not steal.
16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that
is thy neighbour's.

BTW, Christians should boycott FB and all other social media which hate the truth and censor it.

3rdAngel

Dec 1, 2019
Qld
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi all, for me personally I like to use multiple translations in combination with looking directly at the Hebrew and Greek, so I do not prefer any single translation as I have found over the years every translation may have some minor translation errors in them somewhere for some texts. To do all of the above I use a free online resource which is very helpful that I would like to share with you here called Bible Hub (linked). Hope you get a blessing out of using it if your interested. I think there are a few other alternative sites but I find this one very simple to use. Of course we should all remember that having a correct translation of the scriptures does not mean you can understand the truth of God's Word. The JEWS had correct translations but did not understand it. We need God's Spirit to be our guide and teacher *John 14:26; John 16:13 which is a part of the new covenant promise *Hebrews 8:11.

God bless

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. There is NO change in the message. What we have today is the same as the 1611 KJV, so don't be taken in by people promoting propaganda. For proof just go here and compare:

The spellings and punctuation may be different but that is immaterial. The actual translation is the same:

2 I am the Lord thy God, which haue brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage:
4 Thou shalt not make vnto thee any grauen Image, or any likenesse of any thing that is in heauen aboue, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water vnder the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow downe thy selfe to them, nor serue them: For I the Lord thy God am a iealous God, visiting the iniquitie of the fathers vpon the children, vnto the thirde and fourth generation of them that hate me:
6 And shewing mercy vnto thousands of them that loue mee, and keepe my Commandements.
7 Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vaine: for the Lord will not holde him guiltlesse, that taketh his Name in vaine.
10 But the seuenth day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not doe any worke, thou, nor thy sonne, nor thy daughter, thy man seruant, nor thy mayd seruant, nor thy cattell, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in sixe dayes the Lord made heauen and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seuenth day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and halowed it.
12 ¶ Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy dayes may bee long vpon the land, which the Lord thy God giueth thee.
13 Thou shalt not kill.
17 Thou shalt not couet thy neighbours house, thou shalt not couet thy neighbours wife, nor his man seruant, nor his maid seruant, nor his oxe, nor his asse, nor any thing that is thy neighbours.
CURRENT KJV -- EXODUS 20
2 I
am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God
am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
10 But the seventh day
is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For
in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
13 Thou shalt not kill.
15 Thou shalt not steal.
17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that
is thy neighbour's.

BTW, Christians should boycott FB and all other social media which hate the truth and censor it.

Thanks for the voluminous reply :D I will check out the site!

Reactions: Christ4Me and Helen

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the voluminous reply :D I will check out the site!

I just did and here is 1 John 5:7
For there are three that beare record in heauen, the Father, the Word, and the holy Ghost: and these three are one.

And here is Romans 8:1
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Iesus, who walke not after the flesh, but after the spirit.

No change from our current KJV. But we weren't comparing apples to apples were we? LOL We were comparing KJV to modern translations. And they do show a huge change in the message.

cc: @Enoch111

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

13 Thou shalt not kill.
CURRENT KJV -- EXODUS 20
2 I
10 But the seventh day
11 For
13 Thou shalt not kill.
15 Thou shalt not steal.
is thy neighbour's.

Fun, thanks for link...I will start using it for quotes from now on...then no one will notice that I can't spell certain words!!! :)

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fun, thanks for link...I will start using it for quotes from now on...then no one will notice that I can't spell certain words!!! :)

I use Biblegateway.com. If you only put in one verse and want to see what other versions say, just go to the bottom and click on other translations and a whole list comes up.

cc: @Nancy

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was pretty much the official (Authorized) Bible of the Church of England for years and years before the 1611 KJV was printed:
Bishops Bible 1568 Textus Receptus Bibles

Helen, you and Nancy will just love all the wild spellings in here!
Genesis Chapter: 1

1:1 In the beginnyng GOD created ye heauen and the earth
1:2 And the earth was without fourme, and was voyde: & darknes was vpon the face of the deepe, and the spirite of God moued vpon the face of the waters
1:3 And God sayde, let there be light: and there was light
1:4 And God sawe the lyght that it was good: and God deuided the lyght from the darknes
1:5 And God called the light day, and the darknes night: and the euenyng & the mornyng were the first day

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344 and Helen

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a King James Bible Only Christian.
I believe the 1900 Cambridge Edition KJB is the pure Word of God for today.
I believe every letter, and word in this KJB is inspired by God.
I have come up with a hundred plus reasons for the King James Bible being the pure Word of God for today.
However, I am unlike your average KJB Only Christian, though.

#1. KJB Only Christians tend to think the KJB is easy to understand.
I disagree with this conclusion. I believe God intentionally chose to preserve His Word in archaic English on purpose.
“But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;” (1 Corinthians 1:27).

#2. KJB Only Christians think it is either wrong or badly influential to read Modern Versions.
I disagree with this conclusion. I am okay with a Christian reading Modern Bibles as long as they don’t make them their final Word of authority. A Christian should always compare a Modern next to the KJB at all times and prefer to read out of the KJB. But there were many times that Modern Bibles have helped to clarify what the KJB actually says. But as we all know, Modern Bibles are not trustworthy (because they teach false doctrine etc.), so we do have to be wildly crazy careful not to trust them over what the KJB says. The King James Bible is the Bible and no other when it comes to all matters of faith and practice.

#3. KJB Only Christians tend to be overly nit picky on certain word renderings in Modern Bibles vs. the KJB.
Yes, I realize it is a sin to even change the Bible. That is wrong. No man or woman can add or subtract, or change what the Bible (KJB) says by creating their own Word of God. Granted, that said, criticism towards certain word changes does not necessarily mean it is not saying the same thing exactly. For example: The KJB says wine bottles. Yet, Modern bibles can say wine skins. They are both saying the same thing but using a different description of that item. Putting both together, it would be “wine skin bottles.” That is what I believe the Bible is referring to here. Granted, neither I or another dare make this change in wording. We can only unpack or define, or explain what the words say in the KJB (of course). Also, this kind of rendering is not going to effect doctrine (Which is more serious). Again, as I said. I realize it is still wrong to alter the Bible. This is true. But criticizing words that say the same thing does not make a good argument or case for the KJB as the Word of God. It only shows that one is being overly defensive to the point of overkill by not recognizing that certain things mentioned in the Bible can be described by the use of different wording and still be accurate.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is something a friend on FB shared. I knew there was a difference between the 2 different versions but did not realize there were this many. The KJV is my go to as it is what I started on and seem to remember verses better in the language of old English.

"ANSWERING KJV ONLY PEOPLE
Consider this to start with; if one must have all the words of the original and only the words of the original, in one book, to be able to call that book the word of God, what shall we say to the fact that not only do no two hand-written Greek or Hebrew manuscripts agree with each other 100% (including no two editions of the Textus Receptus), no two editions of the King James Version agree perfectly either? The first edition of the KJV appeared in 1611. However, the KJV used widely today is the 1769 Benjamin Blayney revision. The fact is, unless your KJV contains the Apocrypha and spells Jew as ‘Iewe’ and cattle as ‘cattell’, you do not have a 1611 KJV! As for the italics, in Matthew’s Gospel alone, the 1769 KJV has 315 more uses of italics than the 1611 edition. Did you know that the 1769 KJV differs from the 1611 edition in a total of 75,000 details, 421 of which are noticeable to the ear when read aloud? It is true that most of these involve adjustments to archaic spelling, the correction of printing errors and the more regular use of italics — and about 72% of the noticeable textual changes had been made by 1638, only 27 years after the KJV was first published. However, the following are examples of corrections that were not made until 1762, over 150 years after the KJV was first published. These do not involve corrections of spelling or printing errors

Also, check out this article here:

www.bibleprotector.com/forum • View topic - Seven major purifications of the KJB

Reactions: Christ4Me and Nancy

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Bible Highlighter,
Not too long back, I looked up some scripture in the 1611...and yes, it is strange to our modern day eyes, difficult to understand. I can see how it would get some to dig deeper and grow further in His word.

2 Timothy 2:15 - "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
So then, how to account for the Italian translation, or the German translation, or, Portuguese, any other language than English? In your account, they would all have to learn to speak modern day English in order to be able to read/understand God's breathed word, it seems.
Not sure I'm making sense here, just wondering.
Sorry, have not looked at your video, I rarely watch them as I only want to devote so much time on here.
God bless and keep and, welcome to C.B.!

Reactions: doxley and amadeus