• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DanielGarneau

Apr 19, 2014
Quebec City, Province of Quebec, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
About 10 years ago I was impressed with a comment made by a high profile TV journalist in the context of a documentary series where the various world religions, contemporary jewism, and branches of the Christian church were scrutinized. Much attention was given to the external expressions of these Faiths, comparing for example those Christians who raise their hands while worshiping with other groups that tended to kneel or bow down. The documentary was quite interesting, even if it drew in my opinion too much emphasis on external pracices.

But what really hit home with me was the idea that those who adhere to religions do so by faith as opposed to doing so on the basis of knowing. As far as I was concerned, our Faith is based on the knowledge of who God is and of what He has told us in His Word. So I saw no opposition between knowing and believing. That led me to go on line 8 years ago with a web site where these questions, and many others are dealt with in some depth.

Now, closer to us, this morning in fact, I published a video where I touch up on these things : Knowing and Believing -- A Christian Perspective.

I would be interested in hearing you on the matter. What would you like to be added to that video ? What would you like to say about that topic ?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t watch linked videos, but responding to your post: .... I’m a little hesitant I agree, simply because there are so many different definitions of “know”, and I’m not sure which one you are using here.

If it’s “know” as in book-learning, I disagree. Faith and book-learning are two different things, ideally used complimentary.

If it’s to “know” as in love & have a relationship with, then I can agree.

Or many other definitions of “know”.

DanielGarneau

Apr 19, 2014
Quebec City, Province of Quebec, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Knowing God as in "if anyone wants to glorify let him glorify him that he as the intelligence of knowing me" (Jeremiah, paraphrased from memory and mentioned in that video). Knowing God has nothing to do with wishful thinking, as some people seem to think when they say : your religion is just a belief, but science is true and pure knowledge. My conviction is that science is based on the belief that other researchers have first-hand experiment in what they declare to be true. So, there is a "faith" component behind every field of knowledge. On the other hand, knowing God is not only a some vague undefined belief without foundations. Our foundation is the Word of God through which God has made himself known. It is also based on experiential knowledge of the outworking of God in our life as we live for him.

Kobo

Mar 11, 2021
Chicago
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About 10 years ago I was impressed with a comment made by a high profile TV journalist in the context of a documentary series where the various world religions, contemporary jewism, and branches of the Christian church were scrutinized. Much attention was given to the external expressions of these Faiths, comparing for example those Christians who raise their hands while worshiping with other groups that tended to kneel or bow down. The documentary was quite interesting, even if it drew in my opinion too much emphasis on external pracices.

But what really hit home with me was the idea that those who adhere to religions do so by faith as opposed to doing so on the basis of knowing. As far as I was concerned, our Faith is based on the knowledge of who God is and of what He has told us in His Word. So I saw no opposition between knowing and believing. That led me to go on line 8 years ago with a web site where these questions, and many others are dealt with in some depth.

Now, closer to us, this morning in fact, I published a video where I touch up on these things : Knowing and Believing -- A Christian Perspective.

I would be interested in hearing you on the matter. What would you like to be added to that video ? What would you like to say about that topic ?
A Knowing can only be gotten through God Himself. In Jeremiah 31:31-34, God says that He will put His write His teachings on the tablets of our hearts.

31 This is what the Lord said, “The time is coming when I will make a new agreement with the family of Israel and with the family of Judah.
32 It will not be like the agreement I made with their ancestors. I made that agreement when I took them by the hand and brought them out of Egypt. I was their master, but they broke that agreement.” This message is from the Lord.

33 “In the future, I will make this agreement with the people of Israel.” This message is from the Lord. “I will put my teachings in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
34 People will not have to teach their neighbors and relatives to know the Lord, because all people, from the least important to the most important, will know me.” This message is from the Lord. “I will forgive them for the evil things they did. I will not remember their sins.”

Jesus Christ, the New Covenant that God promised, does not give us a command that we know God. What He does instead commands us to believe in Him, accept(trust), and obey His teachings/Commandments. When we obey, His Spirit is installed inside of God and He goes to work teaching us to Know God.
So, it is not for us to work out the details of knowing God. That instead is the work of the Spirit of God and no man, woman, or child can take the place of the Spirit or do His job.