Latin root word for religion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
rĕlĭgo - ONLINE LATIN DICTIONARY - Latin - English

1 to tie out of the way
2 to bind fast
3 to moor

Still meditating on this one. Especially as scripture has declared... “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” - Galatians 5:1

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
rĕlĭgo - ONLINE LATIN DICTIONARY - Latin - English

1 to tie out of the way
2 to bind fast
3 to moor

Still meditating on this one. Especially as scripture has declared... “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” - Galatians 5:1

Wrong word.
The root is religio.

ORIGIN
Middle English (originally in the sense 'life under monastic vows'): from Old French, or from Latin religio(n-) 'obligation, reverence'.

(Concise Oxford English Dictionary)

religio (relligio) -onis, f., of persons, scrupulousness, conscientious exactness; esp. religious scruple, awe, superstition, strict obser- vance; in gen. moral scruples, conscientiousness; of gods, etc., sanctity; an object of worship, holy thing or place.
(Glossary of Latin Terms R)

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My dad studied to be a Catholic priest until thrown out of seminary, where he left to join the Navy before marrying mother. I must say here that the Catholic priests that graduate seminary are no dummies and my dad is very learned in the Latin. He brought up the religion word at Thanksgiving time while we were watching football and I had to meditate on that one a while.

But... The bible was not written in the Latin, it was written in the Greek, and I find nothing similar in the Greek comparing religion to bondage. The religion Paul used in Galatians referred to Judaism. The religious word James used seemed to be more about worship.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My dad studied to be a Catholic priest until thrown out of seminary, where he left to join the Navy before marrying mother. I must say here that the Catholic priests that graduate seminary are no dummies and my dad is very learned in the Latin. He brought up the religion word at Thanksgiving time while we were watching football and I had to meditate on that one a while.

But... The bible was not written in the Latin, it was written in the Greek, and I find nothing similar in the Greek comparing religion to bondage. The religion Paul used in Galatians referred to Judaism. The religious word James used seemed to be more about worship.

To be pedantic the Bible was written in Hebrew and probably some in Aramaic before being translated into Greek, as well as some in Greek.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why?
What do you understand by religion that you find abhorrent?
Ask yourself but one question. Is not the word, "religion" tacked onto the end of the name of every form of worship all over the world? Of course it is. Religion has nothing at all to do with following Christ's Way.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ask yourself but one question. Is not the word, "religion" tacked onto the end of the name of every form of worship all over the world?

No.

Of course it is. Religion has nothing at all to do with following Christ's Way.
religion
n noun
1 the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. Øa particular system of faith and worship
Concise Oxford English Dictionary

What is abhorrent about "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God"?

Perhaps you do not think that Jesus is God and should be worshipped as such.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No.

religion
n noun
1 the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. Øa particular system of faith and worship
Concise Oxford English Dictionary

What is abhorrent about "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God"?

Perhaps you do not think that Jesus is God and should be worshipped as such.
Agreed Mungo, people constantly disparage the word religion as if it has some perverse derivative or connotation? It's a very valid word to describe the Christian faith, in that it is simply synonymous with a belief system. Christianity is a religion, as is Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.
The only question at hand is, is your religion the one that has been prescribed by God?
....mind you, I am a Christian, but I profoundly do not belief that Jesus Christ is God. Only the Father is God, and Jesus is the first-born of all God's creation.
That's my religion that I believe has the approbation of God.