Latter Day Saints Site Falsely Teaches Works Salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Mormon website says the one must perform Mormon essential rites to be saved, which is false! I say these words with kindness and out of love for the truth. The Church of Latter Day Saints website states that one must be a Mormon in order to gain salvation. Specifically, they falsely say that one must participate in what this Mormon website describes as "essential rites" which is false works salvation. It doesn't matter if someone performs the works of a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness, only faith alone saves us. And all people will have faith alone in Christ and go to Heaven.

Source: Latter-day Saint Beliefs About Heaven

Start quote

Latter-day Saint teachings state that where we go after this life depends primarily upon the degree to which we accept and follow Jesus Christ, as well as on the desires of our hearts and how we translate those desires into works. In addition, our destination after this life depends on whether we participate in the essential rites (such as baptism) that aid us in the process of repentance, progression and sanctification.

End quote

The degree to which we follow Jesus Christ? That's Lordship Salvation and that's false! Jesus said that a person can have the smallest amount of faith, the size of a mustard seed, and the belief of a child and still be saved my friend. It doesn't matter how much a person believes, just having faith alone in Jesus Christ, even in the smallest amount, is enough.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

We know that this is not our own doing, not of our own works. Truly, everyone will accept this grace and go to Heaven. Everyone will become believers in Christ, to the same equal degree, because there's absolutely nothing that we can do to make ourselves righteous by our own works. It's the gift of God. Can a person accept the gift of God more than another person? Can a person accept that gift any less? No! Accepting a gift = accepting a gift. It's equal, equivalent.

Then they wrongly state that people must translate their desires into works. That is wrong, my friend.

Galatians 2:16 Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

As is written, we are not justified by works of the law, literally. In terms of being saved by faith alone, faith is the seed that saves us. Only with the Holy Spirit inside of us are we capable of performing good works. Because without being counted as righteous before, then it's impossible for us to do anything good. The only criteria for a person to go to Heaven is to be made clean. And the only way to be made clean is by the Blood of Christ. Therefore, works salvation takes away from Christ, it goes against Jesus' teachings!

Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

In terms of the "essential rites" the only thing that's essential is having faith alone in Our Lord Jesus Christ to be saved. Baptism is a metaphor for that simple belief. Having a physical water baptism is not necessary at all for salvation. Because everyone who has ever believed in Jesus Christ is already baptized spiritually by the Holy Ghost dwelling inside of them!

Repentance is defined as the recognition of sins, and thus recognizing the need for a savior. Repentance is not works salvation like turning from your sins, or following the law, because we know that by the Law, nobody is saved. It's only by God's grace that we gain permanent life. Because we were all disobedient, we all sinned, only God is good, only Jesus Christ is perfect, free of sin. So there's no works salvation process of repentance at all.

Romans 4:5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

Then they mention progression and sanctification. We are already sanctified by Christ when we believe. We don't need any fancy works salvation sanctification rites to save us! We have faith in Jesus and therefore are permanently saved. Period. There's no progression when it comes to salvation. The only way a person can make progress is by having the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of them.

Therefore, the Holy Ghost blesses you my friend. It's important to be strict when it comes to salvation, because as we know, Jesus is the only way to Heaven! Nobody else can save us, no one else leads to Heaven. Only Christ is good, only in the Lord is there life. Amen.

Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Post commentary. This message was originally created for Katzpur on the City Data Christian forum. However, I believe it’s useful in general for rebuking the heresy that is works salvation, so I’ve made it into it’s own article.

Truly I say to you all, it doesn’t matter if a person calls themselves a man-made title like Mormon or a Jehovah’s Witness, as long as that person believes in Jesus Christ with faith alone then they are permanently saved. The problem is when people falsely spread works salvation, which takes away the glory and honor that Our Lord Christ Jesus deserves!

When someone wrongly says that you must perform good works to be saved, they say that the sacrifice of Christ on the cross was not sufficient. As believers, we know that is false, of course. Jesus’ blood is indeed sufficient! And all people will believe in Him and be washed of all their sins.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why are you reading a Mormon Web site?
Surely you know what they believe and how blasphemous it is.

A faithful Mormon man and his wife will become the father and mother gods of their own world, populating it with their spirit children.
God is only one of many gods.

Leave there sites alone.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Mormon website says the one must perform Mormon essential rites to be saved, which is false! I say these words with kindness and out of love for the truth. The Church of Latter Day Saints website states that one must be a Mormon in order to gain salvation. Specifically, they falsely say that one must participate in what this Mormon website describes as "essential rites" which is false works salvation. It doesn't matter if someone performs the works of a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness, only faith alone saves us. And all people will have faith alone in Christ and go to Heaven.

Start quote

Latter-day Saint teachings state that where we go after this life depends primarily upon the degree to which we accept and follow Jesus Christ, as well as on the desires of our hearts and how we translate those desires into works. In addition, our destination after this life depends on whether we participate in the essential rites (such as baptism) that aid us in the process of repentance, progression and sanctification.

End quote

The degree to which we follow Jesus Christ? That's Lordship Salvation and that's false! Jesus said that a person can have the smallest amount of faith, the size of a mustard seed, and the belief of a child and still be saved my friend. It doesn't matter how much a person believes, just having faith alone in Jesus Christ, even in the smallest amount, is enough.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

We know that this is not our own doing, not of our own works. Truly, everyone will accept this grace and go to Heaven. Everyone will become believers in Christ, to the same equal degree, because there's absolutely nothing that we can do to make ourselves righteous by our own works. It's the gift of God. Can a person accept the gift of God more than another person? Can a person accept that gift any less? No! Accepting a gift = accepting a gift. It's equal, equivalent.

Then they wrongly state that people must translate their desires into works. That is wrong, my friend.

Galatians 2:16 Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

As is written, we are not justified by works of the law, literally. In terms of being saved by faith alone, faith is the seed that saves us. Only with the Holy Spirit inside of us are we capable of performing good works. Because without being counted as righteous before, then it's impossible for us to do anything good. The only criteria for a person to go to Heaven is to be made clean. And the only way to be made clean is by the Blood of Christ. Therefore, works salvation takes away from Christ, it goes against Jesus' teachings!

Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

In terms of the "essential rites" the only thing that's essential is having faith alone in Our Lord Jesus Christ to be saved. Baptism is a metaphor for that simple belief. Having a physical water baptism is not necessary at all for salvation. Because everyone who has ever believed in Jesus Christ is already baptized spiritually by the Holy Ghost dwelling inside of them!

Repentance is defined as the recognition of sins, and thus recognizing the need for a savior. Repentance is not works salvation like turning from your sins, or following the law, because we know that by the Law, nobody is saved. It's only by God's grace that we gain permanent life. Because we were all disobedient, we all sinned, only God is good, only Jesus Christ is perfect, free of sin. So there's no works salvation process of repentance at all.

Romans 4:5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

Then they mention progression and sanctification. We are already sanctified by Christ when we believe. We don't need any fancy works salvation sanctification rites to save us! We have faith in Jesus and therefore are permanently saved. Period. There's no progression when it comes to salvation. The only way a person can make progress is by having the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of them.

Therefore, the Holy Ghost blesses you my friend. It's important to be strict when it comes to salvation, because as we know, Jesus is the only way to Heaven! Nobody else can save us, no one else leads to Heaven. Only Christ is good, only in the Lord is there life. Amen.

Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Post commentary. This message was originally created for Katzpur on the City Data Christian forum. However, I believe it’s useful in general for rebuking the heresy that is works salvation, so I’ve made it into it’s own article.

Truly I say to you all, it doesn’t matter if a person calls themselves a man-made title like Mormon or a Jehovah’s Witness, as long as that person believes in Jesus Christ with faith alone then they are permanently saved. The problem is when people falsely spread works salvation, which takes away the glory and honor that Our Lord Christ Jesus deserves!

When someone wrongly says that you must perform good works to be saved, they say that the sacrifice of Christ on the cross was not sufficient. As believers, we know that is false, of course. Jesus’ blood is indeed sufficient! And all people will believe in Him and be washed of all their sins.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ
Actual LDS Christian (nicknamed “Mormon”) here. You seem to be extremely misunderstanding actual beliefs. Would you like me to clarify what is actually beleived? If not, then I won’t imposed.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you reading a Mormon Web site?
Surely you know what they believe and how blasphemous it is.

A faithful Mormon man and his wife will become the father and mother gods of their own world, populating it with their spirit children.
God is only one of many gods.

Leave there sites alone.
Like I said to Herald, if you want me to clarify what is actually believed, let me know.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Start quote

End quote

Well the truth of God's word is in the sheep and goats and other areas of the bible where it spells out that love is required and demonstrating that love with action to help your neighbor to prove your love for Jesus. That is salvation as far as what man can do for their own salvation. Yes Jesus is the only one that can save us, but he asks us to provide works meet for repentance.

Faith alone is dead unless your disabled or something.

Mormon's have a "prophet" and many revelations have steered their religion into what it is today. Good or bad it has changed from the bible's basic teachings in that it supposedly expands on the bible. And yes they have baptisms for the dead and Mormon rights related to their covenants they make with God. If you believe all that than you would be a Mormon.

Honestly I've been studying the bible and it has a very general message of obeying the commandments which includes having and demonstrating love for your neighbor. Getting baptized, receiving the Holy Spirit comforter and guide as well as taking the bread and wine are also spelled out.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not what you

Believe, but what is official LDS doctrine that matters.
Actual official doctrine & beliefs (keeping this super short):
There's one God-- one way, one truth, one glory, etc. Different divine persons: Father, Son, Spirit. In Heaven, God shares all that He has with His fully sanctified: white is white, perfected is perfected. They will be joint heirs with Christ, fully like Him. This is the entire purpose of Christ's sacrifice- that we may be one with Him even as He & the Father are. John 17 is a great chapter. If you want a LDS specific link talking about this instead: Becoming Like God

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Start quote

End quote

I'll address this super short style, let me know if you want me to go more in-depth on any point:

LDS Christians like myself look at a disciple's walk with Christ holistically, not dividing it into salvation / sanctification pieces. The first step in a disciple's walk is 100% faith in Christ. He alone is the Son of God & Savior. Salvation comes through faith in Him. I am a Christian, as are my friends that are Baptists, Catholics, etc.

Fatih is Christ is 100% that first step. But the journey doesn't stop there! A disciple should also repent of their sins. Should be baptized. Should strive to follow His commandments out of love. Don't ignore those and proclaim cheap grace.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actual official doctrine & beliefs (keeping this super short):
There's one God-- one way, one truth, one glory, etc. Different divine persons: Father, Son, Spirit. In Heaven, God shares all that He has with His fully sanctified: white is white, perfected is perfected. They will be joint heirs with Christ, fully like Him. This is the entire purpose of Christ's sacrifice- that we may be one with Him even as He & the Father are. John 17 is a great chapter. If you want a LDS specific link talking about this instead: Becoming Like God
There are three degrees of exaltation in the highest they inherit All the attributes of God the Father including godhead, become the God and godess of there own world.

This teaching is not Christian, so it follows that the church of latter-day saints is not Christian.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are three degrees of exaltation in the highest they inherit All the attributes of God the Father including godhead, become the God and godess of there own world.

This teaching is not Christian, so it follows that the church of latter-day saints is not Christian.
On this I greatly disagree: what God makes perfect is perfect. No more blemishes. John 17. But if you want to deny my relationship with Christ and call me "non-Christian" for that, whatever. I've been called much worse by men (& women).

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
On this I greatly disagree: what God makes perfect is perfect. No more blemishes. John 17. But if you want to deny my relationship with Christ and call me "non-Christian" for that, whatever. I've been called much worse by men (& wo
men
On this I greatly disagree: what God makes perfect is perfect. No more blemishes. John 17. But if you want to deny my relationship with Christ and call me "non-Christian" for that, whatever. I've been called much worse by men (& women).
I am quoting official doctrine of the LDS.
Is that what you believe?

' Then shall they be gods, because they have no end,
Then shall they be gods because they have all power and the angels are subject to them.'
D&C 132:20
Check it out with your elders.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
men

I am quoting official doctrine of the LDS.
Is that what you believe?

' Then shall they be gods, because they have no end,
Then shall they be gods because they have all power and the angels are subject to them.'
D&C 132:20
Check it out with your elders.
Adding some more quotes to this:

Genesis 1:26–27: 26 ¶ And God said, Let us makeman in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and femalecreated he them.

Genesis 3:22: 22 ¶ And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Psalm 82:6: I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

John 10:33–34 : 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

2 Peter 1:4: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divinenature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Romans 8:16–17: 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Revelation 3:21: To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

John 17
11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
<skip>
15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. 20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be cone in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be aone, even as we are bone: 23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

And yes I believe every single one of those. I believe in the majesty of God: that He truly has the power to take a dirty wretched sinner like me and make them white a snow. Perfect even as He is. Without any blemish. I proclaim this proudly, shouting in admiration of His glory. I'm going to be especially celebrating it this coming week in remembrance of His sacrifice. I make zero apologies for this, and to be very blunt: if you want to declare that to be "non-Christian", I really don't care. I love Christ: He is my Savior and awe.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe every single one of those. I believe in the majesty of God: that He truly has the power to take a dirty wretched sinner like me and make them white a snow. Perfect even as He is.

Yes every one of those quotes are bibcal and true, but none of them say we will be the god and goddess over our own world.

There is no multitude of gods and goddess, no mother God with God the Father.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes every one of those quotes are bibcal and true, but none of them say we will be the god and goddess over our own world.

There is no multitude of gods and goddess, no mother God with God the Father.
Have I said anything about planets? Nope.
My focus and everything I have said has been focused on becoming perfected like God is - white is white. A joint heir with Christ, one with Him and the Father.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who cares what they do--surely not you since you believe everyone is saved
Maybe they want to do it because they think it's right.

If we are going to the store, and you take the highways, and I the back roads, and it is approachable by both, then we will both get to the same place. We do it our way--and according to you, ultimately it wont matter.

Hit it , Frank!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the Mormon belief as I remember it is geared a little to legalism. I believe they teach that if you obey the covenants you made then you will be saved or rather be exalted to the highest level. And their covenants are slightly different than the many commandments of the bible.

And while we are instructed to obey the commandments in the bible. It will not guarantee our salvation. We know this from the rich man and Lazarus and the Pharisee and tax collector.

Thinking that obeying the commandments will earn us salvation is a type of self righteous belief. And it is legalism in it's general nature.

Mormons might counter by saying that they believe that Jesus ultimately is their salvation, but that's not ultimately what they teach. The message is distorted in insinuating that obey their covenants will lead to salvation.

I watch both Catholic Mass daily and General Conference so I know what they proclaim.

We have various examples of people being forgiven and saved in the new testament, like the adulterer woman and the thief on the cross. And the Mormon Bishops would judge them unworthy of a temple recommend which they believe must be kept for exaltation.

So what salvation comes down to is encouraging ourselves and others to obey the many commandments of the bible which include the Royal Law of love God and your neighbor and the many actions required to demonstrate that love. And ultimately knowing that Jesus is the judge now and the power of heaven as exalted by the Father. It is only thru Jesus that we will be saved not by the law which condemns us already.

And if a church was obeying the Royal Law perfectly as Jesus commands then there would be no rich and poor within their membership. That is taught in the bible. Also either married or God devoted singles are OK for their leaders as taught in the bible.

The Mormons also have some latter day revelations that contradict Christ's teachings in the bible. They counter it by saying Jesus changed things, but that doesn't seem to fit well. Jesus taught about marriage not being in heaven. And Mormons contradict that teaching. Whereas Christ's teaching about not being married in heaven goes along with Pauls teaching to not be married and be devoted to the service of God. Something echoed in Jesus teaching about heaven that we will be as the angels serving God.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The Latter Day Saint's have a Theology that teaches that :

All of us, before we are born, were with God.. as 'Pre-mortal" But .....we were not good yet.
God sort of originally created us as naughty Spirits, who needed to learn how to not be bad little boys and girls.
So, He created this MOMRON SALVATiON OPERA..... for Humanity.
He sent us down here to be born, so that we can sin, and then learn how to be good.
Jesus , leads this OPERA, and comes down eventually to help us learn to be obedient, how to stop sinning, how to keep covenants, how to follow his teachings, how to be forgiven, and most of all = learn how to be good.

• Wow
Reactions: Keturah

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had offered to help Harold understanding earlier, and never heard back from him.

The TLDR: all Christians (LDS and other) believe that salvation comes through faith. It is a gift from God. We also believe John 14:15-24, and strive to keep Christ's commandments because we love Him. Obviously such is going to be done imperfectly, but we try out of love. Yes, a disciple of Christ should try to be truthful. Yes, disciple of Christ should repent of their sins. Yes, a disciple of Christ should get baptized, etc.

Yes, we are saved by faith. But that isn't the end of a disciple's journey nor is claiming faith a license to sin. Rather we give our whole heart, mind, & might to Him. Love Him and follow Him.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the Mormon belief as I remember it is geared a little to legalism. I believe they teach that if you obey the covenants you made then you will be saved or rather be exalted to the highest level. And their covenants are slightly different than the many commandments of the bible.

And while we are instructed to obey the commandments in the bible. It will not guarantee our salvation. We know this from the rich man and Lazarus and the Pharisee and tax collector.

Thinking that obeying the commandments will earn us salvation is a type of self righteous belief. And it is legalism in it's general nature.

Mormons might counter by saying that they believe that Jesus ultimately is their salvation, but that's not ultimately what they teach. The message is distorted in insinuating that obey their covenants will lead to salvation.

I watch both Catholic Mass daily and General Conference so I know what they proclaim.

We have various examples of people being forgiven and saved in the new testament, like the adulterer woman and the thief on the cross. And the Mormon Bishops would judge them unworthy of a temple recommend which they believe must be kept for exaltation.

So what salvation comes down to is encouraging ourselves and others to obey the many commandments of the bible which include the Royal Law of love God and your neighbor and the many actions required to demonstrate that love. And ultimately knowing that Jesus is the judge now and the power of heaven as exalted by the Father. It is only thru Jesus that we will be saved not by the law which condemns us already.

And if a church was obeying the Royal Law perfectly as Jesus commands then there would be no rich and poor within their membership. That is taught in the bible. Also either married or God devoted singles are OK for their leaders as taught in the bible.

The Mormons also have some latter day revelations that contradict Christ's teachings in the bible. They counter it by saying Jesus changed things, but that doesn't seem to fit well. Jesus taught about marriage not being in heaven. And Mormons contradict that teaching. Whereas Christ's teaching about not being married in heaven goes along with Pauls teaching to not be married and be devoted to the service of God. Something echoed in Jesus teaching about heaven that we will be as the angels serving God.
Some of your understanding is inaccurate here. For example, loosing one's temple recommend does not equate to loosing salvation or exaltation. Christ is the Judge. The purpose of a bishop's guidance is to help a person repent - to get to that point where their heart is at that "go & sin no more" stage. That extra voice and perspective helps because we prideful humans so often justify or excuse away are sins, especially super tangly ones like adultery. The goal is to help the sinner get to the repentant heart and "go & sin no more".