Law Mentality vs Pure Grace

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. - Galatians 3:10.

I have to always do something for God will be your heartbeat if you live with a law keeping mentality. What is it that keeps a believer from seeing or reading verses like Galatians 2:20 the way it is written, what is that? It's simple, a little three letter word; law. The law mind will hinder the growth of a believer like nothing else, why is that? Because you cannot be yourself with a law abiding mind. Now that works for the law of the land, but spiritual law is a different animal. You will be hard-pressed to know grace (in pureness and full) and live free and be yourself doing it if you have a law mentality.

There is a saying where I come from and that is; that kid can't get out of his own way. It means there is no direction, no real growth, no maturity to speak of, no living free of outside distraction, everything is a struggle for someone who cannot get out of their own way. What does a law mentality do to a person? They cannot get out of their own way, life is a mess. If you have ever been through that you will know what I'm talking about.

Everytime they turn it runs into a stumbling block, what is the stumbling block laid out by Christ? It is pure grace, you cannot live pure grace by trying to do it by having a law mentality. So hence the stumbling block is laid out for all that try law for life. You get no life and everything is a hindrance to you, because the law will not allow for pure life to be expressed.

What is the flip side of that if you will? Pure life and pure grace in knowledge and understanding of who your life is and what pure grace is. Pure grace is Christ in you and living any other life is not pure grace.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. - Galatians 3:10.

I have to always do something for God will be your heartbeat if you live with a law keeping mentality. What is it that keeps a believer from seeing or reading verses like Galatians 2:20 the way it is written, what is that? It's simple, a little three letter word; law. The law mind will hinder the growth of a believer like nothing else, why is that? Because you cannot be yourself with a law abiding mind. Now that works for the law of the land, but spiritual law is a different animal. You will be hard-pressed to know grace (in pureness and full) and live free and be yourself doing it if you have a law mentality.

There is a saying where I come from and that is; that kid can't get out of his own way. It means there is no direction, no real growth, no maturity to speak of, no living free of outside distraction, everything is a struggle for someone who cannot get out of their own way. What does a law mentality do to a person? They cannot get out of their own way, life is a mess. If you have ever been through that you will know what I'm talking about.

Everytime they turn it runs into a stumbling block, what is the stumbling block laid out by Christ? It is pure grace, you cannot live pure grace by trying to do it by having a law mentality. So hence the stumbling block is laid out for all that try law for life. You get no life and everything is a hindrance to you, because the law will not allow for pure life to be expressed.

What is the flip side of that if you will? Pure life and pure grace in knowledge and understanding of who your life is and what pure grace is. Pure grace is Christ in you and living any other life is not pure grace.
As you indicate the very word "law" and the meaning we apply to it is often our problem in walking with God. Even the writers, such as the Apostle Paul, may have thought they were speaking of the literal black and white laws God gave to Moses, but those laws were very often simply types and shadows of the real Law of God. The only way to get to and to understand that Law is by following the lead of the Holy Spirit. So many people who have met the Lord too often believe they can figure it all out and make to the end... but using their own head and reasoning alone will get in their way and cause them to stumble. When they, or we, have done that we have effectively quenched the Holy Spirit of God in us and of course have ended up off of His highway of holiness. But... God is understanding and merciful. He will still help us to get back on course and step out one more time in faith toward the Light!

Give God the glory!

Reactions: soul man

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@soul man I do appreciate your term 'law mentality': so often ppl who profess the grace of God in the Gospel in theory have unwittingly brought with them a law mentality that can be hard to shake off.

Reactions: soul man

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have to always do something for God will be your heartbeat if you live with a law keeping mentality.
As if those under grace will not have the same motive? How naive. To refute your naive idea go to Romans 12:1,2.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Does this not mean that you have to do something for God: "that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God"?