Learning cultures and history

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never traveled outside of the U.S. But I would like to learn more about cultures around the world and also the views of non U.S natives have of U.S culture.

I'd love to hear especially from believers from other nations.

I have learned much of what I know from Youtube videos. But I like books too. I appreciate recommendations for things I can read or watch.

Reactions: Nancy and marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have never traveled outside of the U.S. But I would like to learn more about cultures around the world and also the views of non U.S natives have of U.S culture.

I have learned much of what I know from Youtube videos. But I like books too. I appreciate recommendations for things I can read or watch.
Which authors do you like Wynona? I like American writers as many of the British ones seem to write to a formula with too much soul searching and a will they won't they plot with misunderstandings causing havoc.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which authors do you like Wynona? I like American writers as many of the British ones seem to write to a formula with too much soul searching and a will they won't they plot with misunderstandings causing havoc.
I have friends from the U.K so I picked up a book called The Story of Britain by Rebecca Fraser.

I think I had too many books at the time so I didn't finish but Id love to try and tackle more books like that one to learn more history and culture.

I love Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters. I love a period romance a lot.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You being British Pearl, of course would know this much better than I but...I hope you don't put C.S. in this category o_O Lol, to me, his writing is like none other, But then, we all have our likes and dislikes :)
xx

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have friends from the U.K so I picked up a book called The Story of Britain by Rebecca Fraser.

I think I had too many books at the time so I didn't finish but Id love to try and tackle more books like that one to learn more history and culture.

I love Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters. I love a period romance a lot.
I like Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre' and Anne Bronte's ' The Tenant of Wildfell Hall'. When I was a girl my Gran used to buy me books and complain because I always had my head in a book. She bought me all the 'Little Women' books and 'What Katy Did'. Since lockdown I have used my e-reader and get through loads as I don't do much else. I prefer a book to TV. I just finished one tonight called 'Murder of a Lover' by Faith Martin - I like her female detective. I have found with my e-reader I can get books free or for very little. One of my favourite US writers is Carolyn Brown and also Cathryn Ryan Hyde and Kristin Hannah. I like books with a bit of a love interest but subtle and not the whole story.

Reactions: Nancy and Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre' and Anne Bronte's ' The Tenant of Wildfell Hall'. When I was a girl my Gran used to buy me books and complain because I always had my head in a book. She bought me all the 'Little Women' books and 'What Katy Did'. Since lockdown I have used my e-reader and get through loads as I don't do much else. I prefer a book to TV. I just finished one tonight called 'Murder of a Lover' by Faith Martin - I like her female detective. I have found with my e-reader I can get books free or for very little. One of my favourite US writers is Carolyn Brown and also Cathryn Ryan Hyde and Kristin Hannah. I like books with a bit of a love interest but subtle and not the whole story.
Jane Eyre is a great one. When I was growing up, I was always reading. I do need to read Little Women.

I feel like I slowed down reading after my college days. After that, I mainly read articles or fanfiction.

I want to get back into the habit of finishing books. I want to learn about countries all over the world.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jane Eyre is a great one. When I was growing up, I was always reading. I do need to read Little Women.

I feel like I slowed down reading after my college days. After that, I mainly read articles or fanfiction.

I want to get back into the habit of finishing books. I want to learn about countries all over the world.
I have learned a lot just from reading novels set in different countries and cultures. I used to be a bit of a snob, only reading the classics like Thomas Hardy and HEBates - I loved the Larkins.

I don't like violence and stopped reading Patricia Cornwell because it was all a bit gruesome. I like John Grisham too. I could go on and on but it's getting late here - 23:13 so I should think about shutting down.

Reactions: Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have learned a lot just from reading novels set in different countries and cultures. I used to be a bit of a snob, only reading the classics like Thomas Hardy and HEBates - I loved the Larkins.

I don't like violence and stopped reading Patricia Cornwell because it was all a bit gruesome. I like John Grisham too. I could go on and on but it's getting late here - 23:13 so I should think about shutting down.
Goodnight! Thanks your input!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I spent a night or two in Canada once when I was a kid. Interesting how the trees get smaller and smaller as you head north through Minnesota to Canada.

Our culture here has really degenerated over the last decade. I'd hate to hear what Christians in other countries think of us.

Reactions: Wynona