Led By The Spirit To Do What In Worship?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are we led by the Spirit to do in worship? It is not to honor & glorify Himself in worship.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

So any one honoring the Holy Spirit in worship is NOT honoring the Father AND it is not what the Holy Spirit is leading us to do in worship. Scripture testifies of what He will lead us to do and what He will not lead us to do.

John 3:28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.30 He must increase, but I must decrease..

As John borne witness as led by the Spirit, so will we as led by the Spirit. He will not talk about Himself in seeking His own glory but of the Son which He will lead us to do as well.

John 5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

John 7:18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.14 He shall glorify me:

That is why when we testify of the Son in worship be it by song or sermon, we glorify the Son in worship as led bt the Spirit of God so that what we say and sing in worship is true as Another Witness is ndeded to add to our testimony of the Son to be true.

John 8:17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.

Make no mistake; the glory of God the Father is in His Son. By glorifying the Son in worship is how we, as led by the Spirit of God to do, glorify God the Father.

John 13:31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

Read what Paul emphasized that all believers obey in how we are to worship.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:....11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Is it any wonder why the standard of judgment over all believers in how we worship is to honor the Son in all things if we wish to honor the Father as led by the Spirit to do?

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Worship is not synonymous with music,singing, songs. There is no where in the new testiment where worship is conected with music. Worship and music are two different terms entirely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worship is not synonymous with music. There is no where in the new testiment where worship is conected with music. Worship and music are two different terms entirely.

Sword, I did not see any mention of music in the O.P. Where did you see it?

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is why when we testify of the Son in worship be it by song or sermon, we glorify the Son in worship as led bt the Spirit of God so that what we say and sing in worship is true as Another Witness is ndeded to add to our testimony of the Son to be true.

The church today has made worship into the worship band the worship hour. And that has nothing to do with worship.

John 4:24King James Version
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worship is not synonymous with music. There is no where in the new testiment where worship is conected with music. Worship and music are two different terms entirely.

I disagree. Music to the Lord is a part of worship.

Psalm 33:1Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.2 Praise the Lord with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings. 3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Colossians 3:5 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

And not all hymnals honors only the Son in worship which is an improper worship done in iniquity, and most churches in the latter days, know it not.

Psalm 27:7 Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me. 8 When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek. 9 Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church today has made worship into the worship band the worship hour. And that has nothing to do with worship.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

That doesn't necessarily speak against having music in the worship place to sing unto the Lord.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is your scripture?

He gave you 4 verses and left a bunch out.

Acts 16:25 KJV
And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.

Hebrews 2:12 KJV
Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.

James 5:13 KJV
Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

Reactions: JesusIsFaithful

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword, I did not see any mention of music in the O.P. Where did you see it?

Here:

"That is why when we testify of the Son in worship be it by song or sermon, we glorify the Son in worship as led bt the Spirit of God so that what we say and sing in worship is true as Another Witness is ndeded to add to our testimony of the Son to be true."

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth is absolutely true, of course, but flesh can fear (Adam) and flesh can honor (Abel). hence what was required before Jesus made it possible to worship in Spirit.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Any choir or band in a service is there to help the body worship God. They provide music so we the congregation can sing praises and dance before the Lord. It is perfectly acceptable worship as noted in both new and old testament. But I think I understand where you are coming from. No one should be going to church to see a show or praise the band. We (the band and the congregation) are there to praise, please and entertain God.

If that is what you are getting at, I agree.

Reactions: Sword

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So any one honoring the Holy Spirit in worship is NOT honoring the Father AND it is not what the Holy Spirit is leading us to do in worship. Scripture testifies of what He will lead us to do and what He will not lead us to do.

I think this is more what you intended the conversation to be about.

I am not one to separate the spirit from the Son from the Father. People often do. But they get that euphoric feeling and thank the holy spirit and glorify the holy spirit for that wonderful feeling.

Again, I don't separate them. Neither do I look down on a joyful feeling from the spirit. Its all from God. John 4:24 says God is a spirit. And I'm pretty sure he's holy.

But yea... Don't fall into worshipping that euphoria. Thank God for it, but that is the response you have to him...

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this is more what you intended the conversation to be about.

Not really. The title of the thread is the topic. The side bar topic by the member "Sword", was the music in the worship.

I am not one to separate the spirit from the Son from the Father. People often do. But they get that euphoric feeling and thank the holy spirit and glorify the holy spirit for that wonderful feeling.

Again, I don't separate them. Neither do I look down on a joyful feeling from the spirit. Its all from God. John 4:24 says God is a spirit. And I'm pretty sure he's holy.

But yea... Don't fall into worshipping that euphoria. Thank God for it, but that is the response you have to him...

An example of spirit worship in the world is the one from the American Indians that dance and chant for the Great Spirit to come. When alcohol was introduced to them, the drunkenness effect reminded them of their communion with the Great Spirit when he had come. So how can God call these sinners away from that Great Spirit and their communion with that Great Spirit? By the solitary and only way to come to God the Father through worship and that is by way of the Son so as to avoid seducing spirits and doctrines of devils which is what the real indwelling holy Spirit will lead believers to do in according to His words as stated in the OP.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

How strict is this law of God in coming to Him in worship? People that have placed the spotlight & focus on the Holy Spirit in worship, have experienced sometimes this supernatural encounter of drunkenness. Not knowing what it was, they declared this to be the Holy Spirit falling on them ( even though they acknowledge that He is in them ) and that they were receiving the fruit of Joy. He has led me in discernment that the Spirit's fruit of joy is joy. It cannot be the works of the flesh which is drunkenness. A house divided cannot stand when we are to have all the fruits of the Spirit and thus having the Spirit's fruit of temperance which is self control, then the Spirit's fruit of joy can only be joy and the confusion in the worship place is not of Him nor was that the Holy Spirit bringing that supernatural drunkenness. Since that spirit's origin is of the native American Indians, we should reject & resist them by going to Jesus Christ in prayer at that throne of grace for help.

Indeed, one brother from India was honoring the Holy Spirit with his church on the day of Pentecost one year and he testified what he believed was the Holy Spirit coming over him, like liquid nitrogen, seeping through his skull as he was confessing an apology to the Holy Spirit for not believing He did any dramatic manifestations any more like He did back in the early church days. How is that for another result of euphoric feeling? Seducing spirits are called such because they feel good with their comings and goings, thus taking the spotlight off of the face of the Son in worship to lead other believers to chase after them to receive with a sign.

The real indwelling Holy Spirit would never do that. He would never take our eyes off of the Son in worship when scripture testifies what He was sent to do in us and that is to not speak of Himself, but to testify of the Son in bringing glory specifically to the Son and by Him glorify God the Father.

So it is not a matter of separating the Spirit from the Father & the Son in worship, but recognizing what the real indwelling Holy Spirit has been sent to do and that is to lead us to testify of the Son in worship in honoring Him and by glorifying the Son in worship, we glorify God the Father.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

And yet wayward believers seek to receive the Holy Spirit by a sign; not just after they receive tongues without interpretation separate from their salvation ( which is not of Him either ), but again and again after other signs, waning of the danger for drinking from another fountain which the Old Testament testifies that effect as not of Him at all.

Proverbs 25:26 A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring.27 It is not good to eat much honey: so for men to search their own glory is not glory.28 He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.

Even the New Testament warns against this spirit of the antichrist's effect.

1 Corinthians 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

So the way is truly is narrow and Jesus really meant what He has said that He is the only way to come to God the Father by in worship. Heed Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The children of God are not called to debate what is worship or not. They are called to be fruitful and add to the children of God by witnessing that it is by faith in Jesus' work on the cross that saves.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The children of God are not called to debate what is worship or not. They are called to be fruitful and add to the children of God by witnessing that it is by faith in Jesus' work on the cross that saves.

The children of God are led by the Spirit to abide in His words in doing the father's will; and that is the only way to honor the Father is by only honoring the Son and that is eactly what scripture testifies as to what the Holy Spirit has been sent to do and He does so through us.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"To everything there is a time and season"....
Both issues are right...we can and do Worship God without any noise, dance, instruments, etc ..many are just there, in His Presence, worshipping Him with no distractions.
At another time, we a re moved to dance , wave our arms and sing loudly.
I don't see an answer to the heading of this thread- " Led By The Spirit, To do what in worship?"
The fact that we are "Led by the Holy Spirit " speaks at there is no answer until the moment in a meeting when He gives us the nudge of direction for the gathering...be it adoration worship style, or a jumping and noisy worship. It is AS HE LEADS.
Or , as we know...it SHOULD be...yet so many 'worship groups' are locked into thinking ahead , and practicing the night before, or right before the meeting.....which in itself takes in OUT of the hand of the Holy Spirit!! .....Most times He doesn't have to ( or can) lead because most "worship services" ( which are often far from that!) are preprogrammed and tightly controlled from the front..so that regular members don't have a need to "be led" it is done for them!
Not quite what Paul taught , he said " When you gather, everyone has a psalm, teaching, revelation, unknown tongue, or interpretation. Everything must be done for upbuilding. " ..... We should come with a heart ready to GIVE what the Holy Spirits prompts us to give, not only to receive.
"From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love."
T hat doesn't sound much like any gathering I have been in for many a decade, I think very often the Holy Spirit is left outside the door....not at all invited to "lead"!!
Not expecting anyone to agree ;)

Last edited:

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"To everything there is a time and season"....
Both issues are right...we can and do Worship God without any noise, dance, instruments, etc ..many are just there, in His Presence, worshipping Him with no distractions.
At another time, we a re moved to dance , wave our arms and sing loudly.
I don't see an answer to the heading of this thread- " Led By The Spirit, To do what in worship?"
The fact that we are "Led by the Holy Spirit " speaks at there is no answer until the moment in a meeting when He gives us the nudge of direction for the gathering...be it adoration worship style, or a jumping and noisy worship. It is AS HE LEADS.
Or , as we know...it SHOULD be...yet so many 'worship groups' are locked into thinking ahead , and practicing the night before, or right before the meeting.....which in itself takes in OUT of the hand of the Holy Spirit!! .....Most times He doesn't have to ( or can) lead because most "worship services" ( which are often far from that!) are preprogrammed and tightly controlled from the front..so that regular members don't have a need to "be led" it is done for them!
Not quite what Paul taught , he said " When you gather, everyone has a psalm, teaching, revelation, unknown tongue, or interpretation. Everything must be done for upbuilding. " ..... We should come with a heart ready to GIVE what the Holy Spirits prompts us to give, not only to receive.
"From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love."
T hat doesn't sound much like any gathering I have been in for many a decade, I think very often the Holy Spirit is left outside the door....not at all invited to "lead"!!
Not expecting anyone to agree ;)

The Holy Spirit dwells within us as our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit so that Jesus Christ Whom is also in us, is keeping His promise to be with us always . That is why it does not matter where we worship for God is not confiend any more to a place of worship, as anyone can come to Him at any time by way of Jesus Christ.

And that is what the Holy Spirit is leading believers to do by the scripture if they ever wish to come to God the Father in fellowship, prayer, and worship, it is by coming to the Son for all things.

When believers points to the Holy Spirit as if He is the "Go To" of the Godhead, then they are not being led by the Holy Spirit to do that when the real indwelling holy Spirit will only keep leading them to the Bridegroom in living that reconciled relationship with God thru Jesus Christ.