Legacy and Your Identity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone has some sort of family legacy for the most part...
People from your ancestry that inspire you to form a portion of your personal identity.

So my question is how much of it does formulate who you are as a person?

If you have a bunch of career criminals in your family tree do you always have a secret desire to rob banks? (Obviously you resist this notion)

If your family tree touches itself (yuck...but mine does) do you look at your 2nd cousins in a new light?

How about former war heroes?
Sheriff's?
Plantation/slave owners?
Ship captains or navigators?

Do the actions of your grandparents or great grandparents give you inspiration to search along similar paths as they once did for fame and fortune?

THEN THE SECOND PART....

What sort of legacy do you wish to leave behind? Obviously most of us aren't going to be very famous...except in our own families we possibly might be. Money? Farmland? Inventions? A side note in the history books in a minor fashion?

What changes going to have?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone has some sort of family legacy for the most part...

I come from a long line of sinners... then, I met Jesus and got born again!

I was transferred from darkness in to the Kingdom of God's Son (Colossians 1:13)
I've been raised up to sit with Him in Heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6)

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

One of the most important lessons I ever learned from the Lord is to NOT identify with my upbringing, my past, my family... because I'm a new creation IN Christ Jesus now... old things are passed away and LOOK all things are new and are of God!

My identity is IN Christ, not my past. My past has become irrelevant as that's the old man that has died.

Being a new creation IN Christ means the Lord is my family now, my legacy.

So now... I come from a long line of over comers, a long line of those that are victorious over the darkness, evil, and challenges faced while living on Club Earth.

This is how Jesus lived and He Alone is our model to follow as Christians are called to be like Him!

Romans 8:29
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

This is the best deal ever! Not sure why anyone would want to look back and identify with the old man, with the sinful flesh mindset.

Here's a summary all those that have been born again should be aware of...

Ephesians 1:16-23
Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Is this a good deal or what! amen2.gif

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I come from a long line of sinners... then, I met Jesus and got born again!

I was transferred from darkness in to the Kingdom of God's Son (Colossians 1:13)
I've been raised up to sit with Him in Heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6)

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

One of the most important lessons I ever learned from the Lord is to NOT identify with my upbringing, my past, my family... because I'm a new creation IN Christ Jesus now... old things are passed away and LOOK all things are new and are of God!

My identity is IN Christ, not my past. My past has become irrelevant as that's the old man that has died.

Being a new creation IN Christ means the Lord is my family now, my legacy.

So now... I come from a long line of over comers, a long line of those that are victorious over the darkness, evil, and challenges faced while living on Club Earth.

This is how Jesus lived and He Alone is our model to follow as Christians are called to be like Him!

Romans 8:29
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

This is the best deal ever! Not sure why anyone would want to look back and identify with the old man, with the sinful flesh mindset.

Here's a summary all those that have been born again should be aware of...

Ephesians 1:16-23
Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Is this a good deal or what! View attachment 39148
But if your family tree included great men of God like James Wesley or Martin Luther wouldn't you take some form of identity from that?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But if your family tree included great men of God like James Wesley or Martin Luther wouldn't you take some form of identity from that?

Those guys are not the great guys I'm referring to... Luther taught another gospel and a different jesus.

I'm talking about the real people of faith in God's Hall of Fame of Faith!

Hebrews 11:1-40

1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
4 ¶By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,
18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:
19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.
20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.
21 By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.
22 By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones.
23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment.
24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.
27 By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.
28 Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.
29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.
30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days.
31 By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.
32 ¶And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:
33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.
35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:
36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:
37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;
38 (Of whom the world was not worthy they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.
39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do the actions of your grandparents or great grandparents give you inspiration to search along similar paths as they once did for fame and fortune?
Although only tiny my grandmother was a very domineering woman and I used to feel so sorry for my lovely grandpa. She scared me and as a child I made up my mind not to be like her. For the most part I have succeeded.

Now my dad - her son - was a lovely man who loved me so much and was very creative and practical. I spent as much time with him as I possibly could and today I too am of a practical nature and can come up with ways of doing things or fixing things that seem unfixable. And I can often find a use for useless things.
What sort of legacy do you wish to leave behind? Obviously most of us aren't going to be very famous...except in our own families we possibly might be. Money? Farmland? Inventions? A side note in the history books in a minor fashion?
My family is my legacy; three children, eight grandchildren and one greatgrandchild - so far. They all like each other and love to spend time together. And there is so much love between us all. I think that is a good thing to have given to the world because they will continue to pass it on after I'm gone.

• Love

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although only tiny my grandmother was a very domineering woman and I used to feel so sorry for my lovely grandpa. She scared me and as a child I made up my mind not to be like her. For the most part I have succeeded.

Now my dad - her son - was a lovely man who loved me so much and was very creative and practical. I spent as much time with him as I possibly could and today I too am of a practical nature and can come up with ways of doing things or fixing things that seem unfixable. And I can often find a use for useless things.

My family is my legacy; three children, eight grandchildren and one greatgrandchild - so far. They all like each other and love to spend time together. And there is so much love between us all. I think that is a good thing to have given to the world because they will continue to pass it on after I'm gone.
I find that parents and grandparents are very influential in forming identities...either in a positive fashion or in running away from behaviors for whatever reason.
For example Billy Graham's father was an alcoholic....but we know how that played out.
Each generation strives to improve in some fashion over the generations that preceeded them. And parents strive to make that possible by providing the things they strongly desired or needed when young but did not have.
However....
Generally speaking and not specifically societies as a whole are becoming less moral than previous generations.

I find it an enigma.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I find that parents and grandparents are very influential in forming identities...either in a positive fashion or in running away from behaviors for whatever reason.
For example Billy Graham's father was an alcoholic....but we know how that played out.
Each generation strives to improve in some fashion over the generations that preceeded them. And parents strive to make that possible by providing the things they strongly desired or needed when young but did not have.
However....
Generally speaking and not specifically societies as a whole are becoming less moral than previous generations.

I find it an enigma.
I think this has always been the case. Look at the Victorians; publicly prim and proper but with a dark side too.

• Love