Let There Be Light

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday 5-1-22 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Abib/Nisan 29, 5782 43rd. Spring Day

Day 14 ― Malchut of Gevurah: Nobility of Discipline

Discipline, like love, must enhance personal dignity. Discipline that breaks a person will backfire. Healthy discipline should bolster self-esteem and help elicit the best in a person; cultivating his sovereignty.

Does my discipline cripple the human spirit; does it weaken or strengthen me and others?

Exercise for the day: When disciplining your child or student, foster his self-respect.

Let There Be Light
odb20220501.jpg

Read: Genesis 1:1–5 | Bible in a Year: 1 Kings 10–11; Luke 21:20–38
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

God said, “Let there be light.” Genesis 1:3

In my daughter’s earliest days, I often named for her the things she encountered. I’d identify objects or allow her to touch something unfamiliar and say the word for her, bringing understanding—and vocabulary—to the vast world she was exploring.

Though my husband and I might naturally have expected (or hoped) her first word would be Mama or Daddy, she surprised us with an entirely different first word: her small mouth murmured dight one day—a sweet, mispronounced echo of the word light I’d just shared with her.

Light is one of God’s first words recorded for us in the Bible. As the Spirit of God hovered over a dark, formless, and empty Earth, God introduced light into His creation, saying, “Let there be light” (Genesis 1:3).

He said the light was good, which the rest of Scripture bears out: the psalmist explains that God’s words illuminate our understanding (Psalm 119:130), and Jesus refers to Himself as “the light of the world,” the giver of the light of life (John 8:12).

God’s first utterance in the work of creation was to give light. That wasn’t because He needed light to do His work; no, the light was for us. Light enables us to see Him and to identify His fingerprints on the creation around us, to discern what is good from what is not, and to follow Jesus one step at a time in this vast world.

In what area of your life do you most need God’s light right now? How has His light helped you in the past?

Thank You, Jesus, for being the light of life, who illuminates the path for me every day.

INSIGHT
Light was so important to Israel’s concept of God that the Jewish Scriptures begin with the account of the creation of light to penetrate the darkness (Genesis 1:3).

This light-giving God was also seen in the psalmist’s recognition of Torah as “a lamp for my feet, a light on my path” (Psalm 119:105). Additionally, one of the primary pieces of sacred furniture in the ancient tabernacle was a golden lampstand (Exodus 25:31), providing light to the priests serving in the Holy Place.

The temple was desecrated around 170 to 160 bc, and its restoration was celebrated by what is known today as Hanukkah—the festival of lights. All this and more bring focus to the high priority of light in Judaism.

By Kirsten Holmberg|May 1st, 2022

1. Videos of Let There Be Light/Our Daily Bread
    bing.com/videos

3:13
    Let There Be Light | Audio Reading | Our Daily Bread Devotional | May 1, 2022
    38 views9 hours ago
    YouTubeOur Daily Bread

2:48
    Light of the World | John 1:5 | Our Daily Bread Video Devotional
    5.9K views4 months ago
    YouTubeOur Daily Bread

4:02
    Rest for the Workaholics | Matthew 11:28 | Our Daily Bread Video Devotional
    5.2K views3 weeks ago
    YouTubeOur Daily Bread

2:49
    Let the Holy Spirit Lead You | Galatians‬ ‭5:16–25 | Our Daily Bread Video D…
    7.4K views1 month ago
    YouTubeOur Daily Bread

2:43
    Life Feels Like War Sometimes | Romans 8:31 | Our Daily Bread Video …
    6.5K views3 months ago
    YouTubeOur Daily Bread

5:13
    Let's Talk About God Being Worthy of Worship | with Laura Smith | Our D…
    2.1K views3 months ago
    YouTubeOur Daily Bread

See more videos of Let There Be Light/Our Daily Bread

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sometimes wonder where the light came from before the sun.
Hi Pearl, good wondering,

My guess is, GOD said Let there be light, 1st. so then, light must have been 1st.

Love, Walter

Last edited:

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are other forms of light besides sunlight.

Light caused by lightning...
Light caused by fire...
Light caused by fireflies...

...plus, all the light that human eyes can't see. Light travels on a spectrum and we humans only get to see a small sliver of that spectrum.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Before, now and later...?

"For I am the LORD, I change not..." Mal. 3:6

"And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof." Rev 21:23

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Light caused by fire...

...plus, all the light that human eyes can't see. Light travels on a spectrum and we humans only get to see a small sliver of that spectrum.
@Mink57 Great verses here also:

"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." (2 Corinthians 4.6)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Light caused by fire...

Hi @Mink57 I love to follow through the light theme to John's First Epistle where John sees light and the light in Christ and walking in the light from a moral and spiritual dimension.