Let 'Us' Make Man in 'Our' Image

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:26 KJV
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

EITHER:

God is speaking to a Co-Creator.

OR

God is using language that does not say exactly what He means.

If God is using language contrary to what He really means, how do we ever know what God really means?

If God is speaking to a Co-Creator, we have to likewise understand we are created in that One's image as well, or, that God is again using language contrary to what He means.

So the questions to be answered are,

Did God co-create us with God?

Did God co-create us with one who is not God? For instance, angels?

Are we created in the image of God, or in the image of God and someone who is not God?

Or does God say things in ways that aren't actually exactly true?

Oh, and this,

If God's Words are exactly true, and if we are not created by, or in the image of angels, or someone who is not God, does this mean that, well, you know, God is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was jus different persons of the Trinity speaking. trinity means 3 persons within one being known as God.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was jus different persons of the Trinity speaking. trinity means 3 persons within one being known as God.
That's how it seems to me. No other interpretation makes any sense, unless you are willing to say the Bible doesn't mean what it says.

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Genesis 1:26 KJV
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

EITHER:

God is speaking to a Co-Creator.

OR

God is using language that does not say exactly what He means.

If God is using language contrary to what He really means, how do we ever know what God really means?

If God is speaking to a Co-Creator, we have to likewise understand we are created in that One's image as well, or, that God is again using language contrary to what He means.

So the questions to be answered are,

Did God co-create us with God?

Did God co-create us with one who is not God? For instance, angels?

Are we created in the image of God, or in the image of God and someone who is not God?

Or does God say things in ways that aren't actually exactly true?

Oh, and this,

If God's Words are exactly true, and if we are not created by, or in the image of angels, or someone who is not God, does this mean that, well, you know, God is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

Much love!

God is all about working through people, angels...His Son who didn't exist at the time of creation which leaves God and the angelic host.
Job 38:7 is where its at...and it's no coincidence we look like the angels! Let's not be so arrogant to think they take on our form when seen of men.
If you look closely at the involvement of angels in Genesis 1-3 you will see the truth!
F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Also Genesis 3:22 is impossible to overcome! They were intimately involved in creation and their training and discipline of the first pair without dispute. From Adam to Christ all made in the image of the Elohim.
F2F

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"
The dogma of the Trinity
The Trinity is the term employed to signify the central doctrine of the Christian religion — the truth that in the unity of the Godhead there are Three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, these Three Persons being truly distinct one from another.

Thus, in the words of the Athanasian Creed: "the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God." In this Trinity of Persons the Son is begotten of the Father by an eternal generation, and the Holy Spirit proceeds by an eternal procession from the Father and the Son. Yet, notwithstanding this difference as to origin, the Persons are co-eternal and co-equal: all alike are uncreated and omnipotent. This, the Church teaches, is the revelation regarding God's nature which Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came upon earth to deliver to the world: and which she proposes to man as the foundation of her whole dogmatic system.

In Scripture there is as yet no single term by which the Three Divine Persons are denoted together. The word trias (of which the Latin trinitas is a translation) is first found in Theophilus of Antioch about A.D. 180. He speaks of "the Trinity of God [the Father], His Word and His Wisdom (To Autolycus II.15). The term may, of course, have been in use before his time. Afterwards it appears in its Latin form of trinitas in Tertullian (On Pudicity 21). In the next century the word is in general use. It is found in many passages of Origen ("In Ps. xvii", 15). The first creed in which it appears is that of Origen's pupil, Gregory Thaumaturgus. In his Ekthesis tes pisteos composed between 260 and 270, he writes:

There is therefore nothing created, nothing subject to another in the Trinity: nor is there anything that has been added as though it once had not existed, but had entered afterwards: therefore the Father has never been without the Son, nor the Son without the Spirit: and this same Trinity is immutable and unalterable forever (P.G., X, 986).
"
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Blessed Trinity

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Elohim is a name given to angels and orders of men.

It is written, 'Worship him, all ye Elohim' (Psalms 97:7). Did you know this is quoted by Paul in the first chapter of Hebrews? as a command of the Everlasting Father to the angels, that they should praise the Lord Jesus as His Son - did you also know it states 'You have made him a little lower than the Elohim' (Psalms 8:5).

Paul applies this to Jesus saying, 'We see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels' (Hebrews 2:9)

Of course, lower in nature, but in their image and likeness he became superior until such time as God gave him their nature!

There are few honest Christians who take Paul's lead or the writer of Genesis!

F2F

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A keen mind would find it extremely odd God would command angels to pay homage to the Lord Jesus Christ? One might think he didn't pre-exist
:smlhmm:

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our Orthodox Christian Faith, this church says:

“God is triune. The Father is totally God. The Son is totally God. The Holy Spirit is totally God.” (God is a triad. The Father is fully God, the Son is fully God, and the Holy Spirit is fully God).

These three persons of the Christian Trinity have different forms. God the Father cannot be seen, while God the Son has the human form of Jesus, and God the Holy Spirit is in the form of a dove. The description of these three persons of God is told in the Bible, when Jesus was baptized in the Jordan River, the Holy Spirit descended like a dove and God spoke from heaven.

“When the whole crowd had been baptized, and while Jesus was also being baptized and was praying, the heavens were opened and the Holy Spirit descended in the form of a dove upon Him. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my beloved Son, in you I am well pleased” (Luke 3:21-22; compare Matthew 3:16-17 and Mark 1:10-11).

The verse clearly states that the three persons of the Trinity have different personal forms in different places, namely: God the Father is in the sky and speaks, God the Son appears in the form of the human Jesus who is soaking wet in the river, and God the Holy Spirit becomes a dove. who was flying over Jesus' head.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Our Orthodox Christian Faith, this church says:

“God is triune. The Father is totally God. The Son is totally God. The Holy Spirit is totally God.” (God is a triad. The Father is fully God, the Son is fully God, and the Holy Spirit is fully God).

These three persons of the Christian Trinity have different forms. God the Father cannot be seen, while God the Son has the human form of Jesus, and God the Holy Spirit is in the form of a dove. The description of these three persons of God is told in the Bible, when Jesus was baptized in the Jordan River, the Holy Spirit descended like a dove and God spoke from heaven.

“When the whole crowd had been baptized, and while Jesus was also being baptized and was praying, the heavens were opened and the Holy Spirit descended in the form of a dove upon Him. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my beloved Son, in you I am well pleased” (Luke 3:21-22; compare Matthew 3:16-17 and Mark 1:10-11).

The verse clearly states that the three persons of the Trinity have different personal forms in different places, namely: God the Father is in the sky and speaks, God the Son appears in the form of the human Jesus who is soaking wet in the river, and God the Holy Spirit becomes a dove. who was flying over Jesus' head.
1 Corinthians 3:19 sums it all up!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"
The dogma of the Trinity
The Trinity is the term employed to signify the central doctrine of the Christian religion — the truth that in the unity of the Godhead there are Three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, these Three Persons being truly distinct one from another.

Thus, in the words of the Athanasian Creed: "the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God." In this Trinity of Persons the Son is begotten of the Father by an eternal generation, and the Holy Spirit proceeds by an eternal procession from the Father and the Son. Yet, notwithstanding this difference as to origin, the Persons are co-eternal and co-equal: all alike are uncreated and omnipotent. This, the Church teaches, is the revelation regarding God's nature which Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came upon earth to deliver to the world: and which she proposes to man as the foundation of her whole dogmatic system.

In Scripture there is as yet no single term by which the Three Divine Persons are denoted together. The word trias (of which the Latin trinitas is a translation) is first found in Theophilus of Antioch about A.D. 180. He speaks of "the Trinity of God [the Father], His Word and His Wisdom (To Autolycus II.15). The term may, of course, have been in use before his time. Afterwards it appears in its Latin form of trinitas in Tertullian (On Pudicity 21). In the next century the word is in general use. It is found in many passages of Origen ("In Ps. xvii", 15). The first creed in which it appears is that of Origen's pupil, Gregory Thaumaturgus. In his Ekthesis tes pisteos composed between 260 and 270, he writes:

There is therefore nothing created, nothing subject to another in the Trinity: nor is there anything that has been added as though it once had not existed, but had entered afterwards: therefore the Father has never been without the Son, nor the Son without the Spirit: and this same Trinity is immutable and unalterable forever (P.G., X, 986).
"
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Blessed Trinity
Ah the great apostasy formulated in the council of AD325 - a devastating blow to the true Gospel but needful for the preparation of Christ's second coming!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Orthodox Christians worship the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—the Holy Trinity, the one God. Following the Holy Scriptures and the Church Fathers, the Church believes that the Trinity is three divine persons (hypostases) who share one essence (ousia). It is paradoxical to believe thus, but that is how God has revealed himself. All three persons are consubstantial with each other, that is, they are of one essence (homoousios) and coeternal. There never was a time when any of the persons of the Trinity did not exist. God is beyond and before time and yet acts within time, moving and speaking within history.
--Explanation of the Trinity-- God is not an impersonal essence or mere "higher power," but rather each of the divine persons relates to mankind personally. Neither is God a simple name for three gods (i.e., polytheism), but rather the Orthodox faith is monotheist and yet Trinitarian. The God of the Orthodox Christian Church is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the I AM who revealed himself to Moses in the burning bush.

Explanation of the Trinity
The source and unity of the Holy Trinity is the Father, from whom the Son is begotten and also from whom the Spirit proceeds. Thus, the Father is both the ground of unity of the Trinity and also of distinction. To try to comprehend unbegottenness (Father), begottenness (Son), or procession (Holy Spirit) leads to insanity, says the holy Gregory the Theologian, and so the Church approaches God in divine mystery, approaching God apophatically, being content to encounter God personally and yet realize the inadequacy of the human mind to comprehend Him."
Holy Trinity - OrthodoxWiki

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Orthodox Christians worship the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—the Holy Trinity, the one God. Following the Holy Scriptures and the Church Fathers, the Church believes that the Trinity is three divine persons (hypostases) who share one essence (ousia). It is paradoxical to believe thus, but that is how God has revealed himself. All three persons are consubstantial with each other, that is, they are of one essence (homoousios) and coeternal. There never was a time when any of the persons of the Trinity did not exist. God is beyond and before time and yet acts within time, moving and speaking within history.
--Explanation of the Trinity-- God is not an impersonal essence or mere "higher power," but rather each of the divine persons relates to mankind personally. Neither is God a simple name for three gods (i.e., polytheism), but rather the Orthodox faith is monotheist and yet Trinitarian. The God of the Orthodox Christian Church is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the I AM who revealed himself to Moses in the burning bush.

Explanation of the Trinity
The source and unity of the Holy Trinity is the Father, from whom the Son is begotten and also from whom the Spirit proceeds. Thus, the Father is both the ground of unity of the Trinity and also of distinction. To try to comprehend unbegottenness (Father), begottenness (Son), or procession (Holy Spirit) leads to insanity, says the holy Gregory the Theologian, and so the Church approaches God in divine mystery, approaching God apophatically, being content to encounter God personally and yet realize the inadequacy of the human mind to comprehend Him."
Holy Trinity - OrthodoxWiki
Copy and paste from one Scholar to another... regurgitating the same error over and over. You wouldn't want to think for yourself now would you?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think evidence is for the believing or at least those willing to see. Those who are unwilling can be plastered with evidence yet still they will not see. Here are a few examples.....

1...Flat earthers insist the earth is not a globe.
2...The Jewish leaders knew who Jesus was yet it didn't suit them.....even after his resurrection.
3...The wonder of Creation is a witness which believers in evolution dismiss.

The thing is, when one chooses to believe a lie, (manufacturing a certain rationale) the ability to see the truth is hamstrung.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think evidence is for the believing or at least those willing to see. Those who are unwilling can be plastered with evidence yet still they will not see. Here are a few examples.....

1...Flat earthers insist the earth is not a globe.
2...The Jewish leaders knew who Jesus was yet it didn't suit them.....even after his resurrection.
3...The wonder of Creation is a witness which believers in evolution dismiss.

The thing is, when one chooses to believe a lie, (manufacturing a certain rationale) the ability to see the truth is hamstrung.
1. Agree I know a flat earther and it does my head in speaking to her!
2. This is true
3. Not all evolutionists dismiss the wonder of creation. Theistic evolutionist in their varied beliefs still appreciate creation

But I get spirit behind your words.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1. Agree I know a flat earther and it does my head in speaking to her!
2. This is true
3. Not all evolutionists dismiss the wonder of creation. Theistic evolutionist in their varied beliefs still appreciate creation

But I get spirit behind your words.
I've been thinking about my earlier post #16 and I would like to add that not only is the ability to see what is truthful hamstrung but the ability and willingness to believe a lie is reinforced and accelerated.

I'm reminded of these words of Jesus....

Matthew 6:22-23
22“The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is [g]good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eye is [h]bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been thinking about my earlier post #16 and I would like to add that not only is the ability to see what is truthful hamstrung but the ability and willingness to believe a lie is reinforced and accelerated.

I'm reminded of these words of Jesus....

Matthew 6:22-23
22“The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is [g]good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eye is [h]bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
It's a good thing that God is able to pierce our darkness!

Much love!