Game Over

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A little more food history... are you familiar with the phrase "eating high off the hog?" Slave owners would have animals butchered and take the choicest cuts for themselves, leaving the rest of the animal for dogs and their slaves to consume. Hence "high off the hog" referred to the choicest cuts of a butchered animal (not just pork).

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A little more food history... are you familiar with the phrase "eating high off the hog?" Slave owners would have animals butchered and take the choicest cuts for themselves, leaving the rest of the animal for dogs and their slaves to consume. Hence "high off the hog" referred to the choicest cuts of a butchered animal (not just pork).
Now I know.

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You gotta be starving to eat them.

Everything changes when you're destitute and food is scarce. I've been destitute a number of times during my life and so I was grateful for whatever I received by way of food. I'm definitely not a snob when it comes to food. If it won't kill ya, then eat it! :D

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yum! Liver and onions are superb. The secret of eating turnips: you dice it up and add it to other recipes. Can't taste them that way.
The secret I learned when eating liver at my mother's table was to cover each small bite with catsup prior to putting it in my mouth. At my wife's table the problem has never occurred as she also hates liver and turnips.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, but there's some history behind turnips that's worth knowing. Turnips are a root vegetable and pretty nutritious; they can be grown in poor soil and do well with a modicum of care. They're a famine crop as a result.
Yes my mother grew up in Oklahoma during the dust bowl and the great depression. They never had any money but they always had a large garden in order to survive and turnips always did well...

Reactions: Shattered

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The secret I learned when eating liver at my mother's table was to cover each small bite with catsup prior to putting it in my mouth. At my wife's table the problem has never occurred as she also hates liver and turnips.

There's always a way. Like I said, I'm not a food snob and I've had to eat things I wouldn't have looked at twice during better times. But even I have my limits... like Army chow hall food. My friend, some of that stuff wasn't fit for the compost pile. The solution?

Drown it in hot sauce. The burn of the hot sauce made you forget about that Army chow, That's also why we ate food so quickly, because the stuff was awful.

Reactions: amadeus

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Things I have seen...

A guy who poured ketchup on ice cream.

Someone who liked slathering a banana with mayo.

I didn't have to worry about an appetite after seeing that. Nope, no longer hungry!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus chicken livers?
No, also not if I can help it and I otherwise love chicken. My step father had a very yards with bunches of chickens for fresh eggs and fried chicken. He was an old Portugee who grew up in the Azores. He knew gardening and domestic animals. Rabbits, chickens, turkey and pigeons were in abundance along with walnut trees, grapes, blackberries and a multitude of vegetables. My mother canned it all so that year round we never were short of staples. Of course we lived in California where anything grew. No snow and few freezes.

Reactions: MatthewG

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's always a way. Like I said, I'm not a food snob and I've had to eat things I wouldn't have looked at twice during better times. But even I have my limits... like Army chow hall food. My friend, some of that stuff wasn't fit for the compost pile. The solution?

Drown it in hot sauce. The burn of the hot sauce made you forget about that Army chow, That's also why we ate food so quickly, because the stuff was awful.
When I was stationed in Viet Nam our little mess hall was the worst. One of the cooks came to us as a generator repairman. After he burned up three generators they sent him to the mess hall. I remember being served fried eggs with the whites running.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Things I have seen...

A guy who poured ketchup on ice cream.

Someone who liked slathering a banana with mayo.

I didn't have to worry about an appetite after seeing that. Nope, no longer hungry!
No ketchup ice cream for me but as for mayonnaise...

When I was in elementary school I remember a few times where we ran out of sandwich makings and my mother would send mayonnaise sandwiches for our lunch. Two slices of bread with mayo only in between! They really weren't bad as I remember, but I have not tried any lately.

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Everything changes when you're destitute and food is scarce. I've been destitute a number of times during my life and so I was grateful for whatever I received by way of food. I'm definitely not a snob when it comes to food. If it won't kill ya, then eat it! :D
I recently went through a re-adjustment of my perspective on food...thank You, Lord!