LIVER most nutrient dense meat, but YUCK!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Liver is high in vitamin A, folic acid, iron, and zinc. Liver is the most nutrient dense organ meat, and it is a powerful source of vitamin A. Vitamin A is beneficial for eye health and for reducing diseases that cause inflammation, including everything from Alzheimer's disease to arthritis.

But how many can't stand the taste? Try this. Fry it up in olive oil with salt and pepper, then drain, and when on your plate, cover with Ranch Dressing. I was amazed that the strong taste was all but killed. Of course, you can always do the tradition addition of bacon and onions, but I didn't have those, but I did see the Ranch Dressing and had a brain storm!

One warning: Do not eat liver more than once a week at most, even though it is cheap. Too much liver, like every day, can cause a toxicity of Vitamin A called Hypervitaminosis A. The symptoms are:

Symptoms of acute vitamin A toxicity include:

Symptoms of chronic vitamin A toxicity include:

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Liver is high in vitamin A, folic acid, iron, and zinc. Liver is the most nutrient dense organ meat, and it is a powerful source of vitamin A. Vitamin A is beneficial for eye health and for reducing diseases that cause inflammation, including everything from Alzheimer's disease to arthritis.

But how many can't stand the taste? Try this. Fry it up in olive oil with salt and pepper, then drain, and when on your plate, cover with Ranch Dressing. I was amazed that the strong taste was all but killed. Of course, you can always do the tradition addition of bacon and onions, but I didn't have those, but I did see the Ranch Dressing and had a brain storm!

One warning: Do not eat liver more than once a week at most, even though it is cheap. Too much liver, like every day, can cause a toxicity of Vitamin A called Hypervitaminosis A. The symptoms are:

We eat liver and onions maybe once every three months or so. When cooked well it's good!
Not only is it nutrient rich but it's also incredibly cheap.

But yeah, I suppose too much of anything can be a problem. I never get the desire to eat it more than maybe once every 1/4 to 1/2 of a year.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But how many can't stand the taste? Try this. Fry it up in olive oil with salt and pepper, then drain, and when on your plate, cover with Ranch Dressing.

‘cover with Ranch dressing’ LOL sounds like my family covering everything they do not like in ketchup. Ranch dressing too. Two things that better be in the refrigerator around here.

Growing up my mother always cooked liver And onions, fried gizzards (I think that is what they are called, they are rubbery?), and brains. She would stew squirrel and rabbit too. I don’t cook those things. I probably should but I don’t.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I bet you just made that...it has obviously been on your mind, lol...plus, you need the Vit A. I actually like it dredged in flour salt and pepper, then in the pan with bacon and onions. Cannot forget the mashed potatoes and peas! Left overs I cut up and mix with sour cream but, your recipe sounds good too.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We eat liver and onions maybe once every three months or so. When cooked well it's good!
Not only is it nutrient rich but it's also incredibly cheap.

But yeah, I suppose too much of anything can be a problem. I never get the desire to eat it more than maybe once every 1/4 to 1/2 of a year.

I'm glad I found that it helps to avoid Alzheimer disease, because my mother and four of her siblings died from it. The store I usually by my groceries didn't have any when stores weren't getting everything they normally do during COVID, so I went to another store and bought them out. My freezer is full of fish and liver. Speaking of fish, don't buy farm raised Tilapia. Just read an article on it. They feed them corn and soy, when naturally they eat algae. Farm raised Tilapia has the lowest fish in Omegas. Eat wild salmon and sardines which are the highest. And other fish caught in the wild to fill in.

Reactions: Taken and Nancy

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
‘cover with Ranch dressing’ LOL sounds like my family covering everything they do not like in ketchup. Ranch dressing too. Two things that better be in the refrigerator around here.

Growing up my mother always cooked liver And onions, fried gizzards (I think that is what they are called, they are rubbery?), and brains. She would stew squirrel and rabbit too. I don’t cook those things. I probably should but I don’t.

I couldn't eat squirrels and bunnies. My heart would explode from grief!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking of stewed squirrel, hey CL, what's up with using the possum as an avatar? Looks like he read the part about someone eating gizzards and brains, and turned white. :eek:

That's hysterical!

On another post about my brain tumor, and about "going nuts", APAK suggested I change my Avatar to a squirrel. So I did, my picture of a squirrel faith healer, then took it down because it was sacrilegious and changed it to another pet of mine. I feed the wild animals and watch them through my glass door to the deck.

upload_2020-8-28_10-29-59.jpeg

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Organ meats can have problems with toxins. Personally, I HATE LIVER. Never touch the stuff.

When I was in college, I worked at a daycare center and had lunch with my class. Once a week, they served chicken livers. I wanted to be a good example to my students, so I would cut them in halve, smother them ketchup, and try not to chew too much before swallowing. One of my students picked up on my dislike of liver and commented. I had to admit that I don’t like liver, but I pointed out that I was eating it anyway in hopes of being a good influence.

Reactions: Helen

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Organ meats can have problems with toxins. Personally, I HATE LIVER. Never touch the stuff.

When I was in college, I worked at a daycare center and had lunch with my class. Once a week, they served chicken livers. I wanted to be a good example to my students, so I would cut them in halve, smother them ketchup, and try not to chew too much before swallowing. One of my students picked up on my dislike of liver and commented. I had to admit that I don’t like liver, but I pointed out that I was eating it anyway in hopes of being a good influence.

I hadn't had any liver in years, then started craving it again recently. What a difference in the way I felt. I was stronger, and my brain was clearer. It is high in Vitamin A, and it is too much Vitamin A that is the problem; there are no toxins remaining in the organ itself.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My freezer is full of fish and liver. Speaking of fish, don't buy farm raised Tilapia. Just read an article on it. They feed them corn and soy, when naturally they eat algae. Farm raised Tilapia has the lowest fish in Omegas.

I actually did read up on that once, only I found out that almost nothing you buy on the market is actually wild. It's virtually all farm raised.

Hope that didn't take the wind out of your sails any. I think farm raised Tilapia is still much healthier than a lot of things you could eat. Not the biggest fish guy myself, but my wife used to order Tilapia a lot when we ate out.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's hysterical!

On another post about my brain tumor, and about "going nuts", APAK suggested I change my Avatar to a squirrel. So I did, my picture of a squirrel faith healer, then took it down because it was sacrilegious and changed it to another pet of mine. I feed the wild animals and watch them through my glass door to the deck.

View attachment 10451

I'm a squirrel fan. I say you put him back up, LoL.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually did read up on that once, only I found out that almost nothing you buy on the market is actually wild. It's virtually all farm raised.

Hope that didn't take the wind out of your sails any. I think farm raised Tilapia is still much healthier than a lot of things you could eat. Not the biggest fish guy myself, but my wife used to order Tilapia a lot when we ate out.

I look for "wild caught"

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... I suppose too much of anything can be a problem. ....

Amundsen's Expedition relied on the dogs to get them to the S. Pole, -- and provide food on the return trip. But their meat was so tough, the only thing edible was their livers. So all the men had Vitamin A poisoning by the time they reached their recovery party.

:)
Bobby Jo

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amundsen's Expedition relied on the dogs to get them to the S. Pole, -- and provide food on the return trip. But their meat was so tough, the only thing edible was their livers. So all the men had Vitamin A poisoning by the time they reached their recovery party.

:)
Bobby Jo

Serves them right for eating the hired help : )

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking of stewed squirrel, hey CL, what's up with using the possum as an avatar? Looks like he read the part about someone eating gizzards and brains, and turned white. :eek:

LOL My grandfather started a barbecue place ‘T&F’ of course they didn’t barbecue possum. But my mom tells this story of a man coming in everyday betting nobody could ever get him to eat possum. My grandfather barbecued a possum one day and made him a chopped sandwich...after two sandwiches and saying how it was the best barbecue he had ever had, my grandfather told him ‘you just ate possum’. o_O

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I couldn't eat squirrels and bunnies. My heart would explode from grief!

Same here. Not after watching my step father and his beagles. I would play with the bunnies and every evening he would take one out to let the dogs chase it down. He thought it was funny whenever I screamed and wanted to not watch but instead go back inside.