Living in Sin or just roommates who love each other?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two seniors in their 70's one widowed one divorced love each other. They decide to move in together. They have no desire to get married this late in life. They have separate bedrooms, no sexual relations, no joint bank accounts but truly love each other and for the most part are viewed as in a relationship.

Are they living in sin?

Reactions: Nancy and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two seniors in their 70's one widowed one divorced love each other. They decide to move in together. They have no desire to get married this late in life. They have separate bedrooms, no sexual relations, no joint bank accounts but truly love each other and for the most part are viewed as in a relationship.

Are they living in sin?
Are these people you know, or an hypothetical situation? What are you thinking would be the sin?

Much love!

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are these people you know, or an hypothetical situation? What are you thinking would be the sin?

Much love!
I do not know anyone in this situation but I'm fairly certain some are. My underlying question what exactly is living in sin? Is it a sexual relationship that makes the difference? Would we look at it differently if the two were 30 years old?

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are they living in sin?
I'd say they are roommates/companions. So, cannot see the sin in this.

Reactions: Triumph1300

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are they living in sin?
Romans 14:16

That means don’t do it if others perceive it as sin. Which they will. How will they know you’re not having sex, lol?

Reactions: amigo de christo

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know anyone in this situation but I'm fairly certain some are. My underlying question what exactly is living in sin? Is it a sexual relationship that makes the difference? Would we look at it differently if the two were 30 years old?
I lived with a girl once as true roommates. We were good friends, and my sister also shared the townhouse. We were not trying to duplicate a "married relationship" without benefit of marriage. I lived with my son's mother, and we were. But in my mind, there was more to it than whether or not we were having sex.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thoughtful responses. If we are concerned about appearances and how some might presume, are roommates of opposite sex a bad idea regardless of how they feel about each other? Is marriage only marriage if there was a ceremony, consummated by sexual relations? Marriage seems to be defined by culture if you look across the world. What would be troubling to some of us might not be even the slightest concern of guilt or wrong doing in some places in this world. God cares just as much about those in the most remote tribes of the Amazon as he does those of us who are mostly enlightened in modern society. Born Again believers know in their heart when they are counter go God's plan. Historically have we dragged in cultural rules and layered them upon God's word? Fornication is a sin. Celibate roommates I do not think are guilty of sin. Interesting and not so simple.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A couple living together without actually being married is sin. It doesn't matter how anyone tries to rationalize it or justify it. It's especially true if one of them is divorced. Christ literally said whoever divorces someone and enters a relationship with someone else is committing adultery. So sin is being committed both in the letter and the spirit.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Celibate roommates I do not think are guilty of sin.
The problem with unmarried celibate roommates is if it looks by all outward appearances that they are having sex and a weaker believer knows they're not married and thinks they're having sex, because it looks like they're probably having sex, they may be emboldened to do the same thing, and so the couple living together cause a weaker believer to sin.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the few advantages to being seniors is you don’t have to care what other people think. Though the septuagenarian man would probably be flattered that others think he’s still able to commit that sin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mantis and marks

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Though the septuagenarian man would probably be flattered that others think he’s still able to commit that sin.

You have used a big word that many would have not idea what it means. You could have simply said, "Though a 70 - 79 year old man would probably . . . ," and at the same time insulted any man who is 80 years old or older. LOL

Well, I am a septuagenarian man I have no need to shout about my abilities, although my heart does not always co-operate under the strain.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are they living in sin?
Cant be divorced while the spouse lives, and in love with another person

I assume you are speaking of love like in a relationship, and not Godly love

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would God not be their witness and would people ‘ presuming ‘ and jumping to conclusions be sinning in judging without any proof.
Cant be divorced while a spouse lives, and be living with and in love with another person

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Romans 14:16

That means don’t do it if others perceive it as sin. Which they will. How will they know you’re not having sex, lol?

Would God not be their witness and would people ‘ presuming ‘ and jumping to conclusions be sinning in judging without any proof.

Cant be divorced while a spouse lives, and be living with and in love with another person

I do see the point you have raised, but my response was really in line with the quote from Ferris about outsiders ‘ presuming they were having sex ‘ ….judging what you don’t actually have proof of is not right either.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Also in the OP’s hypothetical scenario it doesn’t actually state that the spouse of the divorcee was alive, so isn’t that an example of jumping to the wrong conclusion and judging someone as being ‘ in sin ‘ when you don’t actually know all the facts. !!

Reactions: GodsGrace